Ezekiel Bread

gollum

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 01:03 pm
I read that Ezekiel Bread is very healthy. Now I see that Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread is also sold and the ingredients include sugar. Is the Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread healthy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 6,237 • Replies: 83

roger

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 01:11 pm
@gollum,
Never heard of it, but they all list nutritional values. The key numbers for bread are grams of carbohydrates and fiber. Compare it to the standard variety.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 01:19 pm
@gollum,
Real Ezekiel Bread is cooked over human feces. In context, God is trying to humiliate the prophet as a message to a wayward people. I am still amazed that they are trying to market this.

Ezekiel 4:9 wrote:
Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself. You are to eat it during the 390 days you lie on your side. Weigh out twenty shekels of food to eat each day and eat it at set times. Also measure out a sixth of a hin of water and drink it at set times.

Eat the food as you would a loaf of barley bread; bake it in the sight of the people, using human excrement for fuel.” The Lord said, “In this way the people of Israel will eat defiled food among the nations where I will drive them.”
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 01:20 pm
I consider it as healthy as any bread you could buy. Of course I'm no nutrition expert. I eat it from time to time.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 01:31 pm
@maxdancona,
It's a name brand not a lifestyle.

As for the OP?

All bread has sugar in it. Some more than others. Don't look at the ingredients list. Look at the numbers in the nutrition facts which indicate the amount of sugar per serving.

gollum wrote:

I read that Ezekiel Bread is very healthy. Now I see that Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread is also sold and the ingredients include sugar. Is the Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread healthy?

It's all relative to your daily intake of sugar.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 01:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
It's a name brand not a lifestyle.

It is a brand name based on a Biblical reference. The Biblical reference refers to cooking with human excrement.

It is not a "lifestyle". It is a marketing gimmick to make you think you are buying a "lifestyle". Ezekiel Bread is commercial product. They chose the name because many people connect the Bible with wholesomeness.

It is a crappy brand name. They are using the Bible the way that many companies use boobs. It is a slick way to sell their products.

centrox

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 02:04 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Ezekiel Bread is commercial product.

It's just a name for bread made with flour made from sprouted grains of various kinds. You can buy it ready baked or you can make it yourself. One recipe I have seen uses barley, fava bean, millet, durum and/or spelt wheat and lentil flours mixed together. You can sprout the grains, dry them, and pound them to make the flour. Sometimes soya beans are used as well. It's called 'Ezekiel' bread because of the list of bread ingredients in Ezekiel Chapter 4 verse 9 - "Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentiles, and millet, and fitches, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof". Fitches are black caraway seeds, I believe.

I think personally it's just a fad. it's probably as good for you as any other type of 'healthy' bread, that is not packed with sugar, salt, etc, but unless you eat a hell of a lot of bread (which you probably shouldn't) it's not going to make a big difference, is it?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 02:09 pm
@centrox,
http://www.foodforlife.com/sites/all/themes/food_life/images/menu-img/bread-menu.png

This is the Ezekiel Bread. It is a commercial product with a slick marketing gimmick.

And the passage in Ezekiel 4 specifically commands that the bread be baked with human feces. That is why I find this particular marketing gimmick to be funnier than most.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 02:13 pm
So if you make it at home, you aren't allowed to call it Ezekiel bread?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 02:19 pm
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel+4

I already quoted it above. But here is the link so you can read it in context. God was telling his prophet Ezekiel to humiliate himself (this had nothing to do with health).

maxdancona

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 02:20 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

So if you make it at home, you aren't allowed to call it Ezekiel bread?

I think if you do... you should follow the instructions given to Ezekiel.

God was pretty pissed when He thought up this bread as part of the humiliation he put Ezekiel through.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 02:22 pm
If it was manna from heaven there would be critics.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 02:22 pm
@maxdancona,
'Baked with' makes you think it was mixed in the recipe, but in fact the feces was dried dung burned as fuel for the baking process. In fact a bit later (verse 15) God gives in and lets Ezekiel use cow dung, as has been widespread throughout history. American officials in Texas are studying using dry cow dung as a fuel, and in Peru, a steam ship was fueled by Lama dung fuel for several decades
centrox

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 02:24 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I think if you do... you should follow the instructions given to Ezekiel.

Like I said, see v. 15
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 02:25 pm
@centrox,
Read the passage.

God was pissed the people of Israel. Because of this, He ordered Ezekiel to put himself through a series of tortures; including lying on his side for over a year during which God prevented him from moving.

This bread is part of humiliating penance visited on Ezekiel by an angry God as a message of punishment to the people.

Ezekiel 4 verse 15-18 wrote:
Very well,” he said, “I will let you bake your bread over cow dung instead of human excrement.”

He then said to me: “Son of man, I am about to cut off the food supply in Jerusalem. The people will eat rationed food in anxiety and drink rationed water in despair, for food and water will be scarce. They will be appalled at the sight of each other and will waste away because of their sin.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 02:32 pm
Well, I guess you can see why I am an atheist. By the way, please don't patronize me, OK?

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 03:06 pm
Quote:
Ingredients

Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Raisins, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt, Organic Cinnamon.

http://www.foodforlife.com/product/breads/ezekiel-49-cinnamon-raisin-sprouted-whole-grain-bread

Regardless of the fitness of the Biblical references, this is a very healthy bread for people who can eat bread. The list of ingredients contains NO added sugar-not cane sugar, and certainly not High Fructose Corn Syrup. All the sugar comes naturally either from the organic raisins or from letting the several grains in the bread first sprout. Sprouted, (malted), grains have their own sugar inside, it's the way the grain gives food to the young plant growing out of it. The ingredients are all organic, so you are not eating pesticides. Best of all, the bread does not contain BHT or BHA as preservatives. Touted as "harmless", the Bromine in the BHT or BHA actually competes with the iodine in your system for being absorbed, therefore causing all kinds of problems with the thyroid and other organs.
BHT or BHA problems

I have no idea how this bread tastes, I haven't tried it, but healthwise this is top-shelf stuff for bread.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 03:20 pm
@Blickers,
Sure, but this is just another commercial product catering to a specific demographic. You are buying into this specific marketing hype, but it is just marketing hype.

I just checked a couple of brands of bread, including Pepperidge Farm and Wonder Bread. Neither of them contained BHT or BHA.

Scientific research suggests that there is no measurable health benefit to putting the word "organic" in front of each ingredient.

The people who make this "Ezekiel" brand bread are marketing a "lifestyle" to you. Whether or not this appeals to you is a personal matter. But then again some people have a Coke and a smile, get wings from Red Bull and find Lucky Charms to be magically delicious.

Blickers

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Apparently either the breadmakers themselves decided to back off BHA and BHT or perhaps a law or standard has changed. Maybe consumer watchdog groups applied pressure. Whatever, none of the breads I checked had it either. However, it was a standard ingredient up to a few years ago, you could count on it being on the list of ingredients. And bromine is dangerous, it prevents iodine from being absorbed.

I'm glad that a study suggested that organic is not more healthful, but then the tobacco industry back in the 60s and 70s had researchers issue reports saying cigarette smoke doesn't cause cancer at all. Fact is, our vegetables are sprayed with insect poison, which is also human poison, and it doesn't wash off completely. If the idea of putting only marginally poisoned food into yourself or family members jibes well with you, fine. I'll take the food that was not sprayed with poison, and we'll see how we make out. Just curious-was that study showing organic is not healthier conducted over the course of 30 or 40 years? Because while I doubt the researchers would give the OK to buy something that will cause people to keel over dead in a week or two, it is easy to imagine small amounts of poison not causing problems in the short run, but accumulating in the tissues over the course of a lifetime.

To be perfectly honest, I see the physical shape a lot of people today are in, and it seems to me that 30 years ago were not as overweight, half our kids were not on some medication for emotional reasons and adults were not all walking around with SSRI prescriptions. Then there is the presence of middle aged people who have grown so heavy that they require a motor cart in the supermarket-you never used to see that. Four years ago I was over 300 lbs myself. As far as I'm concerned, the Standard American Diet has grown sadder and sadder over the years, so while we have better medical treatments than we did 30 years ago, the food we eat is taking away much of the benefits of those medications.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2017 02:20 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

[quote="I think personally it's just a fad.

"Eat white bread, wi' nowt farted about wi' it. Don't be a poof eat white bread."

Btw, Max is a misogynistic, needy attention seeker. I have him on ignore.
0 Replies