The A2K football pool

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:30 pm
Thanks, Panzade and Dragon. If I can just get El-diablo before Saturday we will have a full house. Pretty remarkable for a week with many other diversions. If any of yall know him, tell him to "Get the El over here."

Go, Horns, indeed. But it could be tough.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:34 pm
the only hope i have is the via the numbers...

their #1 offense vs. our #5 defense
our #2 offense vs. their #65 defense...

you would think the odds based on pure numbers are leaning in the direction of texas but everyone seems to think USC will win. we score more points a game and allow less than them, and if I remember correctly, their defense hasn't faced a running quarterback and we have faced a pretty darn good throwing QB from Texas Tech ( I think he was the #1 rated throwing QB until they played us back in october or sometime near them). I will decked out bleeding orange for the game!
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 06:47 pm
Looks like we have a full house :-p

WASH!
CAR
TB
STL
MIA
NO
CIN
JAX
PIT
KC
PHI
SEA
DEN
CHI
MIN
NE (34)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 04:56 am
dragon49 wrote:
the only hope i have is the via the numbers...

their #1 offense vs. our #5 defense
our #2 offense vs. their #65 defense...

you would think the odds based on pure numbers are leaning in the direction of texas but everyone seems to think USC will win. we score more points a game and allow less than them, and if I remember correctly, their defense hasn't faced a running quarterback and we have faced a pretty darn good throwing QB from Texas Tech ( I think he was the #1 rated throwing QB until they played us back in october or sometime near them). I will decked out bleeding orange for the game!

There's only one factor that might favor the Trojans. The fact that they've already won two national championships and are used to the hoopla.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 03:01 pm
Niners win and Alex Smith shows progress. Also, why would we need Reggie Bush when we have Frank Gore with a 4.8 average this year? Look for The Niners to crush The Texans and take D'Brickashaw Fergurson, a tackle out of Virgina. No No No Reggie Bush.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 03:13 pm
We did indeed draw a full full house this week. I was pleasantly surprised.
The Deviants of the Week are Region (going with Indy and NYJ) and Child of the Light (Indy, Green Bay). The rest of us are not too far away from the norm. Of particular note is Ray. Everyone (at least when lumped together as a group) agrees with Ray.

I haven't had the tv on so won't know the scores of the early games until I check in in about half an hour. We managed to shut down the stores at about 3 pm. Many of my employees are young and are going home to family in other parts of the state. I prefer that they get a start before it gets dark. Staying open for those extra hours on Christmas Eve ain't worth the aggravation. Enough already.
See yall in a bit.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 04:03 pm
Well, through the early games, we all got burnt by Dallas over Carolina, San Francisco winning against St Louis and Buffalo beating Cincy.
I have Fbaezer and Child of Light at 7-3. At 6-4 are Johnboy, El-diablo and George.
My employees gave me a bread making machine. I have always wanted one of those.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 04:30 pm
Miami is amazingly over .500! Christmas present indeed.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 05:49 pm
(gettin' trounced so far, with a mere 5 outta 10...)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 07:13 pm
The 13 Saturday games are over and most of us got bruised badly. Here is where I think we are:

Fbaezer is at 10-3 with three games left this weekend. Johnboy and Child of the Light are at 9-4 and, depending on how things turn out, could win.
As for the rest of yall...not a good week, so far:
At 8-5: El-diablo, George and Liotamerx;
At 7-6 is Ray;
And at 6-7 (ha, ha) are Region, Dragon, Cowdoc, JPinmilw and Panzade.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:17 pm
I tried to quote johnboy's politically correct description of our less-than-perfect record (like, 6-7 for me) but I'm also too damned dumb to figure out A2K's post system, let alone pick winners!

........that looks like a pretty serious understatement from here --- I'm thinkin' that "pathetic" might be a better description of my prognostication this week.
Quote:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:39 pm
What can I say...some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug....squish.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 08:06 pm
Chicago beats Green Bay and Child Of Light splats against the windshield. And Baltimore wins over Minnesota.
Johnboy and Fbaezer finish on top at 11-4. Both have NE in tonight's game so it will come down to the tiebreaker. Johnboy has 36 and Fbaezer goes with 51. If the total number of points scored is 43 or less, Johnboy wins; 44 or more gives the week to Fbaezer. (ps. this was edited on Monday morning at around 9 am)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 10:42 am
There is still one more week (#17) in the regular season. Games on December 31 (Saturday) and January 1 (Sunday). We will all pick as we have done all season. The winner of the most number of weeks and the player with the highest cumulative wins minus losses each get a certificate, suitable for framing, attesting to their prognostication prowess and perserverance in playing.

And then we get into the playoffs!
I looked back at last year (pages 30-45 or so on this thread) to see how we ran it. Panzade suggested-and we went with-a scheme whereby, prior to the start of the first play-off game, we would choose all the way through to the Super Bowl (with that game being the tiebreaker re total points). That is where the big prize is: the coveted Golden Jockstrap trophy.
Unless someone has an alternative idea, we will use the same format this time around. Last year there was a lot of chatter/banter/wishful thinking/second guessing etc. It seemed to work well.

By the way, I have enjoyed running this thing for the last season and a half since Kickycan started it. I am hopeful that one of yall will consider taking it over next time around. It does take a commitment of time each week during the season...a couple or three hours a week from posting the schedule on Tuesday to tabulating the records on the following Tuesday. And it takes a willingness to be a bit of a nagger.
I think the thread would benefit from having a fresh voice.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:49 am
Confused nice job by the jets: losing the 1st & last MNF ABC games -- by the same exact score!

you'd think after vrabel's 1st TD catch the jets would've been looking for it... unbelievable.

(it was nice to see vinny T throw one last TD before he retires...)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 01:05 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
Confused nice job by the jets: losing the 1st & last MNF ABC games -- by the same exact score!

you'd think after vrabel's 1st TD catch the jets would've been looking for it... unbelievable.

(it was nice to see vinny T throw one last TD before he retires...)

Hear Hear...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 01:59 pm
Fbaezer and Johnboy each finished with records of 12-4 this week and Fbaezer had the total number of points in the tiebreaker as being 51. Actual total: 52. Way to go!. Fbaezer wins the week for his first time and is the eleventh different winner in sixteen weeks. Cowdoc has three notches on his gun while Child, Region and Jpinmilw each have two.
After Johnboy and Fbaezer (12-4) came George and Lion (11-5) and El-diablo and Child (10-6). Things got a bit ugly after that. Jpinmilw, Panzade and Ray finished at (9-7); Dragon and Cowdoc (8-8) and Region (7-9). The best picker on ESPN was one dude at (11-5) and a couple or three others at (10-6).
The cumulative Wins Minus Losses for the season looks like it is going to come down to a battle between Cowdoc (84) and Liontamerx (82). Will they choose conservatively in Week #17? Last week, Lion was (+6) while Cowdoc was pointless. Following behind: Johnboy (76) ahead (!) of Panzade (73), Fbaezer (66) (After week #5, he was at -10; a remarkable turnaround), Region (64), George (56), El-diablo (55), Jpinmilwaukee (52), Child of the light (48), Dragon (40) and Ray (24). As a group it was not one of our better weeks, but I note how really, really bad we were back in the first two weeks of the season.
Thanks for continuing to play. Week #17 coming up in a bit.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:08 pm
Here is Week #17's schedule which begins on Saturday, December 31st at 4:30 pm. The usual format with these tidbits of info to confuse you:
x = clinched playoff y = clinched wild card z = clinched division
h = clinched division and homefield advantage * = division game
b = still in the running to finish so badly as to get a shot at Reggie Bush

Saturday, 4:30 pm (ET):
* Denver (12-3 for the season) z @ San Diego (9-6)
8:00 pm:
NY Giants (10-5) x @ Oakland (4-11)
Sunday, 1 pm:
* Miami (8-7) @ New Englasnd (10-5) z
* Buffalo (5-10) @ NY Jets (3-12) b
Detroit (5-10) @ Pittsburgh (10-5)
* New Orleans (3-12) b @ Tampa Bay (10-5)
* Baltimore (6-9) @ Cleveland (5-10)
* Carolina (10-5) @ Atlanta (8-7)
Arizona (5-10) @ Indianapolis (13-2)
Cincinnatti (11-4) z @ Kansas City (9-6)
Seattle (13-2) h @ Green Bay (3-12) b
4:30 pm or so:
Tennessee (4-11) @ Jacksonville (11-4) x
Houston (2-13) b @ San Francisco (3-13) b
* Washington (9-6) @ Philadelphia (6-9)
*Chicago (11-4) z @ Minnesota (8-7)
8 pm:
St Louis (5-10) @ Dallas (9-6)

16 games plus the total number of points in the St Louis vs Dallas game by kickoff on Saturday 12/31. Thanks!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:37 pm
I was almost ready for my Participation & Perseverance Diploma, but I liked winning this time.

For the last week:

Denver
NY Giants
New England
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Cleveland
Carolina
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Seattle
Jacksonville
San Francisco
Washington
Minnesota
Dallas (45)
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 04:14 pm
Can you hear me, Cowdoc? I'm a gunnin for ya...JK.

San Diego
NY Football Giants
New England
Buffalo
Pitt
Tampa
Cleveland
Carolina
Indy
Cincy
Seattle
Jax