The A2K football pool

kickycan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:58 pm
Well, well, well...who would have thought the Steelers would knock off every team in their path on the road to beating the pathetic little bitch Seahawks in the superbowl...

Oh yeah. Me.

I win! I win! I win!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:34 pm
Yes indeed, Kickycan.
I didn't watch it but I just read a story by Greg Garber on ESPN.com that told about the game well. A fine bit of writing. I am happy for the Steelers. A couple of contoversial calls that Seattle fans will grouse about, but all in all, Pittsburgh deserved to win.
Congrats to Kicky. I will pack up the "Golden Jockstrap" trophy tomorrow and send it to his new digs in NYC. I am sure he will take good care of it until we do this again. A couple or three final comments tomorrow, Good evening to yall. -johnboy-
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:54 pm
Steelers enter the five superbowl wins category.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 05:17 am
steelers proved to be the better team in the 2nd half -- hat's off to them.

that offensive pass interference call was total BS.
2 former players, steve young & michael irvin, concurred at halftime.

seattle playing like crap when it mattered most.
those 2-minute drills were pathetic...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:50 am
way to go kick
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:55 am
Am I alone in thinking it wasn't much of a game?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:58 am
Nope... I was thinking the same thing. As a matter of fact I made a trip to Home Depot around the third quarter to pick up some base boards for my kitchen. It was a decent alternative.
0 Replies

shari6905

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 05:53 pm
Sorry guys, I agree Seattle didnt play theur best but that ref needs to go back to the High school he came from. Way to go Steelers but I still love my Hawks!!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 06:11 pm
So it is quiet around the A2K NFL HQ offices today. I took out the empty cans of PBR and Cheeze-Whiz and put them in the dumpster. Also about an inch of paper with red and green and yellow highlighting detailing the picks we all made throughout the course of the season.
It was, as the Sports Illustrated writer who also talks about sports on NPR noted, a less than memorable game. It did draw a tv audience of some 90 million for at least part of the game (including the half time show). Did you know that what you saw was on a five second time delay so censors could bleep out any perceived obscenity and they did do one. Mick made, accordiing to NPR "a pun referring to a slang word that has as a synonym- a rooster." The commentator also noted that, re the officiating, the NFL is the only professional league that doesn't have a full time staff of refs. These guys work other jobs. And that should, he suggested, change. I am not sure I agree...what would they do when they are between games? Get a part-time job at Home Depot?

Anyway...Thank yall very much for participating in the second season of this thread that Kickycan started. Last year we had about 6 players. This year we made it to 12 or 13. I appreciate yall putting up with my nagging and my attempts at witty, light-hearted, writing.
And remember the old refrain from die-hard fans in every sport: "Wait until next year."
Johnboy turns down the thermostat, looks around the empty room, turns out the lights and closes the door behind him. But he leaves it unlocked, hoping that someone else will come in. -rjb-
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:34 am
Many thanks, realjohnboy!
You do good work.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:43 am
Aw, rjb, excellent work.

Congrats, kickster.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:09 am
Thanks RJB... it's been fun.
0 Replies

music-lover

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 05:06 pm
music-lover wrote:
SUPERBOWL XL! C'MON STEELERS! GO ON DA BUS!

I was right to kickycan, WE RULE! Very Happy Laughing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 04:14 pm
early vegas odds for SB XLI:

colts 4:1
pates & steelers 8:1
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 04:36 pm
RJB, you did one hell of a job this year. My sincere thanks to you for making it so much fun.

As the ancient Mesopotamians used to say,"You Da Man!"
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 03:28 pm
It is getting towards the end of July. In a month or so the 2006-2007 NFL season will begin. And we will have season III of the A2K NFL Pool.
Kickycan started this but had to give it up midway through the 1st season. I finished up that year and ran it through the 2nd year. I mentioned at the end of last year that, if anyone wanted to take over as the administrator, I would be happy to relinquish the task. It does take a bit of time, several hours a week for the whole season. But if anyone wants the job...
The 1st year we had about 6 regular players; the second year about 12. I read through 10 pages from the end of last season. Some 20 people posted some kind of comment at Super Bowl time. Some are probably gone from A2K, but perhaps there will be new players. 18 this year?
And how great it was to see posts from a season ago from CowDoc, Child of Light, Dragon19, LionTamerX etc. Names from the past. I hope everyone is well. -johnboy-

Anyway, I thought I would dust this off. Who is in for this year?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 01:22 pm
I am very happy to announce this.
This thread is dead.
the new thread is: NFL 2006-THE ROAD TO NEW ORLEANS.
See you there!
0 Replies