A Christian Theocracy

Larry434

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:11 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Quote:
Romans 10
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

From NIV.

If you believe in the teachings of Jesus, you have complied with what the Bible states, since that is what Jesus taught, among many other things.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Quote:
Romans 10
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

From NIV.

If you believe in the teachings of Jesus, you have complied with what the Bible states, since that is what Jesus taught, among many other things.

I respectfully disagree. Paul tells us that more is required.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm
well I believe in them...I also drink, use drugs and commit adultery whenever possible but I do believe so I guess it's okay...... :wink:
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:29 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
[quote

I respectfully disagree. Paul tells us that more is required.

Don't Christians believe Paul taught the teachings of Jesus, not Paul's?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:35 pm
Larry434 wrote:

Depends on who you talk to.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:39 pm
Larry434 wrote:

Yes ... Paul also wrote more books in the New Testament than any other writer.
0 Replies

neue regel

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:45 pm
'and there certainly are many in our country who seem to want to force their Christian "beliefs" on the rest of us'

True, there are. And there are also those who wish to force their 'beliefs' (or lack thereof) down the throats of the rest of us.

We are sadly seeing the fruits today of that side being more vocal and organized, IMO...
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:48 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

I have heard some refer to Paul as the founder of the Christian religion.

I subscribe to that view, and that he did so using the teachings of Jesus and embellishing them with his own opinions.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:56 pm
Am I agreeing with Larry434? I think... yes, I think I am.

<thud>
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:59 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

I subscribe to that view, and that he did so using the teachings of Jesus and embellishing them with his own opinions.

I believe God/Jesus was the founder of the Christian religion. When Paul preached the gospel, he was consciously implementing the achievement of Jesus, not founding a separate religion.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Quote:
Romans 10

From NIV.

A notion famously satirized in the following letter...
Pre-amble...
Quote:
About the letter:
Dr. Laura Slessinger is a well-known conservative talk show host. She has expressed very negative beliefs about homosexuality, and Wicca. (Wicca is a rapidly growing Neopagan religion which is partly based on ancient Celtic religious symbols, deities, and seasonal days of celebration.)

She has firmly supported and advocated biblical morality on her TV and radio shows. The following is a tongue-in-cheek letter seeking Dr. Laura's advice on applying biblical morality and religious duties in today's world. Its author is unknown.

Probably for reasons of brevity, the author left out many other passages in the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) that are profoundly immoral by today's secular and religious standards. Examples are obligations to exterminate non-combatants during wartime, torture of prisoners, burning some prostitutes alive, denying disabled persons access to the temple, stoning non-virgin brides to death, etc. More details.

The letter...
Quote:
Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When people try to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them:

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev.1:9).The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7.In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness (Lev.15:19-24).The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev.25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev.11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev.11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread cotton/polyester blend. He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them (Lev.24:10-16)? Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:07 pm
How extraordinarily interesting, blatham. Yet I fail to see the connection between Jesus' teachings that Larry was referring to, and the recitations in the letter to the OT, since the latter came under the prior covenant, and the prior under the new covenant.

Can you edify?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:08 pm
It's amazing that through the years we have been able to recognize good ideas from the bad ones. It's almost as though civilization has progressed...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:12 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

I believe God/Jesus was the founder of the Christian religion. When Paul preached the gospel, he was consciously implementing the achievement of Jesus, not founding a separate religion.

Christianity could easily have arisen without Jesus...but without Paul...there would be no Christianity.

Anyone who thinks Jesus founded Christianity is dreaming.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:13 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's amazing that through the years we have been able to recognize good ideas from the bad ones. It's almost as though civilization has progressed...

Say contemporary writers of any age...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:14 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Our ability to judge the teachings of the bible and decide which ideas are good and which are bad are completely contrary to biblical teachings.....a real catch 22.....if, as you say McGentix, that's progress then it has to be by it's own virtue blasphemy as well.

It is not our job to cherry pick the teachings of an omniscient God for ourselves but rather to follow them in complete and contrite belief.....without question...He demands it......

PS This is Bi-polar Bear speaking....I just realized I posted under squinney's name by mistake.....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:16 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

Christianity could easily have arisen without Jesus...but without Paul...there would be no Christianity.

Ummmm...yeah. I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with ya there, Frank.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:16 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
How extraordinarily interesting, blatham. Yet I fail to see the connection between Jesus' teachings that Larry was referring to, and the recitations in the letter to the OT, since the latter came under the prior covenant, and the latter under the new covenant.

Can you edify?

Allow me!

The citations in Blatham's post were from Leviticus..."the Law."

Jesus expressedly stated that he was not here to change "the Law"...not one word of it...not one letter of one word of it...not one stroke of one letter of it.

Not until Heaven and Earth both shall pass!

That's pretty strong stuff.

Of course, the religion Paul founded didn't really give much more than lip service to what Jesus taught.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:17 pm
squinney wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Our ability to judge the teachings of the bible and decide which ideas are good and which are bad are completely contrary to biblical teachings.....a real catch 22.....if, as you say McGentix, that's progress then it has to be by it's own virtue blasphemy as well.

It is not our job to cherry pick the teachings of an omniscient God for ourselves but rather to follow them in complete and contrite belief.....without question...He demands it......

PS This is Bi-polar Bear speaking....I just realized I posted under squinney's name by mistake.....

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:20 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

I can't tell if you're being serious. But since your atheist/agnostic, I assume you are.

Explain to me how we could have Christianity without Jesus Christ.

Frank wrote:
The citations in Blatham's post were from Leviticus..."the Law."

Jesus expressedly stated that he was not here to change "the Law"...not one word of it...not one letter of one word of it...not one stroke of one letter of it.

Not until Heaven and Earth both shall pass!

That's pretty strong stuff.

Of course, the religion Paul founded didn't really give much more than lip service to what Jesus taught.

Citations, man! I need citations.
0 Replies