A Christian Theocracy

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:01 am
Letty wrote:
McG, actually most of the founding fathers were deists.

I agree, Letty, but in the recent re-writing of American history, this has been frequently denied. Just watch.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:02 am
Ticomaya wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Ummmm... Someone who believes in christ? Is that different than the term Christian you used in the thread title?

well, that's fairly pathetic.

try again.

what is this "Christian morality" of which you speak that the majority of Americans share?

McG never said the "majority of Americans share" the "Christian morality." He said the country was founded on that "Christian morality." You disagree?

Try getting it right for a change. He said:

Quote:
We are a country based on Christian morals though as that is the make up of the majority of Americans.

His thesis is that if the country is inhabited by a majority of Christians, ipso facto its morality is Christian.

So what is that Christian morality?

btw: Neither the Declaration of Independence, which refers to self evident rights of man emanating from some "Creator," nor the Constitution of the United States, which is drawn in large measure from ideas and structures on democractic forms of government set out in Aristotle's "Politics" are in fact, Christian.

I really don't what it is with the ignorance of this topic by you right wingers. Did you all collectively cut civics classes in junior high school? You should have learned this stuff when you were 13 years old.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:07 am
Larry434 wrote:
Webster is always a good place to find definitions. Bear.

"Christian: one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ"

Do that, and you are a Christian.

First of all, I think everyone including you knows I was asking McGentrix for HIS definition and I think everyone knows I'm familiar with the dictionary.....but nice try on the humor thing.....

as far as the do that and you're a Christian..... there are many including theologists and biblical scholars who would disagree and point to direct quotes from the gospels to back their opinions up.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:24 am
Larry434 wrote:

Sadly, no.

"Jesus Christ rose from the grave."

With that proclamation, the Christian church began. This is the fundamental element of Christian faith. For followers of Jesus; "Christians," this is the turning point in world history.

Otherwise, even Gandhi would be considered a "Christian," and so would I.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:29 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

First of all, I think everyone including you knows I was asking McGentrix for HIS definition and I think everyone knows I'm familiar with the dictionary.....but nice try on the humor thing.....

as far as the do that and you're a Christian..... there are many including theologists and biblical scholars who would disagree and point to direct quotes from the gospels to back their opinions up.

Actually, BPB, Larry is pretty much right. Except to be "saved," you must do more than "profess," you must believe in your heart that Jesus Christ dies for your sins and is your personal savior. I can get you a biblical citation if you would like.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:31 am
kuvasz wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

Sadly, no.

"Jesus Christ rose from the grave."

With that proclamation, the Christian church began. This is the fundamental element of Christian faith. For followers of Jesus; "Christians," this is the turning point in world history.

Otherwise, even Gandhi would be considered a "Christian," and so would I.

I would have to agree with you. I believe in a Judeo/Christian philosophy but I don't believe in Jesus. I don't think he rose from the grave so there for I'm not a Christian.

I like the ideas put forth by Christianity and think they are good for the US. I don't think we should be a theocracy due to the different religions we have here in the US. It would bring to many extremists forward and that would be a bad thing.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:33 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

so you agree that to profess faith in Jesus doesn't make you a Christian even if Websters says so?

Actually, BPB, Larry is pretty much right. Except to be "saved," you must do more than "profess," you must believe in your heart that Jesus Christ dies for your sins and is your personal savior. I can get you a biblical citation if you would like.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:40 am
Code:No. 80. Religious Preference, Church Membership, and Attendance:
1980 to 2002
[In percent. Covers civilian noninstitutional population, 18 years old and over. Data represent averages of the combined results
of several surveys during year or period indicated. Data are subject to sampling variability, see source]
Year Religious preference Church/synagogue Persons attending
Members church/synagogue1
Protestant Catholic Jewish Orthodox Mormon Other specific None
1980 . . . . . . . . . . . 61 28 2 (NA) (NA) 2 7 69 40
1985 . . . . . . . . . . . 57 28 2 (NA) (NA) 4 9 71 42
1990 . . . . . . . . . . . 56 25 2 (NA) (NA) 6 11 65 40
1995 . . . . . . . . . . . 56 27 2 1 1 5 28 69 43
1998 . . . . . . . . . . . 59 27 2 2 1 4 28 70 40
1999 . . . . . . . . . . . 55 28 2 1 2 2 2 10 70 43
2000 . . . . . . . . . . . 56 27 2 1 1 5 2 8 68 44
2001 . . . . . . . . . . . 53 25 2 1 2 7 2 10 66 42
2002 . . . . . . . . . . . 53 25 2 1 2 8 2 9 65 44

NA Not available. 1 Persons who attended a church or synagogue in the last 7 days. 2 Includes those respondents who did not designate.

Source: The Gallup Organization, Princeton, NJ, <http://www.gallup.com/> (copyright).

US Census Bureau - Obviously nothing more than a right winged propaganda machine.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:40 am
Which "Christian morality" do people have in mind? There are a number of them. New England at least does have experience with theocracy. The Congregational Church was the established (offical) church in both Massachusets and Connecticut untul the eary 19th century. The results for non Congregationalist, mostly Anglican and Baptists were not pleasent. There were consistant assualts, both physical and legal against both, Particularly Baptist who vere on average poorer. For eamples ther were roits agains Baptist in Dudley Nass in the early 19th century (see The Heart of the Commonwealth, John Brook, 1992) in Woodstock Connecticut in the 1790's (see
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:41 am
Thou shalt not kill...ask an indian

Thou shalt not covet...ask an Indian or a Brit

Thous shalt not lie....I wouldn't know where to start asking

Have no other God before me....that includes mammon...ask any politician or businessman about that one....

Thou shalt not steal...see thou shalt not covet..

A big difference between professing Christian faith and living it..
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:43 am
BPB wrote:
so you agree that to profess faith in Jesus doesn't make you a Christian even if Websters says so?

You didn't accurately quote Webster, and I think the distinction is important.

If you "profess faith in Jesus," that is pretty close and nearly there. But if you merely "profess in the teachings of Jesus," that is kinda close, but not quite.

Webster's definition is unclear, as it indicates the belief in the "teachings" of JC make you a Christian. As has been noted, many people believe in Jesus' "teachings," but do not believe in Jesus as their savior. To be a "Christian" you must confess faith in Jesus Christ, that he died for your sins, that he died and was buried and rose from the dead.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:44 am
Somebody needs to inform Webster, their definition is wrong.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:44 am
I miss clicked before I finished my post

History Of Woodstock Connecticut, Clarence Bowen 1926) and against anglican in 1774 (see History of Tolland county Connecticut JR Cole 1888) These are just three examples. The problem with this history is that it is dispersed in local histories and not easily available.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:46 am
Larry434 wrote:

Since you brought it up....I am comfortable having you be our liason with Websters......thanks
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:47 am
Ticomaya wrote:
BPB wrote:

You didn't accurately quote Webster, and I think the distinction is important.

If you "profess faith in Jesus," that is pretty close and nearly there. But if you merely "profess in the teachings of Jesus," that is kinda close, but not quite.

Webster's definition is unclear, as it indicates the belief in the "teachings" of JC make you a Christian. As has been noted, many people believe in Jesus' "teachings," but do not believe in Jesus as their savior. To be a "Christian" you must confess faith in Jesus Christ, that he died for your sins, that he died and was buried and rose from the dead.

I exactly quoted Larry.....
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:49 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

Since you brought it up....I am comfortable having you be our liason with Websters......thanks

Happy to be of service. But I happen to agree with Webster's If one professes his belief in the teachings of Jesus, which includes everything he taught relative to his death and resurrection and his family relationship with his father, one can call himself a Christian..
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:51 am
Quote:
I exactly quoted Larry.....

You were close, but not quite. This is what Larry said:

Quote:

This is what you said:

Quote:

The subtle distinction is that what Larry said (quoting Websters) is that a Christian professes belief in the teachings of Jesus, and what you said indicated a Christian professes faith in Jesus.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:52 am
If you agree with part of the teachings of Stalin does that make you a communist?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:52 am
I would not want to live in one...and there certainly are many in our country who seem to want to force their Christian "beliefs" on the rest of us.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:00 pm
Quote:
Romans 10
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

From NIV.
0 Replies