Kerry's Words Used by Enemy Against Tortured US POWs

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:34 am
FreeDuck already addressed that, very nicely. He was speaking the truth, and his testimony perhaps had something to do with preventing further soldiers going to Vietnam and being in those soldiers' position. The blame for their plight is more properly laid at the feet of those who sent them there. That wasn't Kerry.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:35 am
Agreed, BPB.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:35 am
Quote:
I'm sure we can find plenty of really important things to talk about.

Unfortunately, the Bush camp can't do that, as they don't have a record to run on. It seems as though the Bush minions are also falling in line with this sad strategy of talking about anything BUT the issues that are really important to the American people.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:42 am
Free wrote:
It doesn't annoy me as I will be voting with the 'left' this year. It amuses me that you are so transparent in your desire to quickly label and write off people whose opinions differ from yours.

Gosh, I'm glad I amuse you. That's what I was going for.

We reciprocate, in a sense, because I'm amused that you are so concerned to be labeled, much like your candidate. Very Happy

Free wrote:
I am not a Democrat as I've never registered under any political party. I believe I would be considered an independent. Perhaps now you would answer the same questions about yourself? Are you a neo-conservative? A tighty-righty? Are you a little to the right of Newt Gingrich? Actually I don't care. I choose to evaluate what you say, not what you are.

Laughing Laughing Which is it? Do you care, or don't you?

You remark about how amused you are that I label people, then you ask to see how I label myself. Then you realize (I guess) that you are a bit at odds with your prior statement by asking the question, so you come around again and say you really don't care.

I'm glad we amuse each other so much. Laughing Laughing

Free wrote:
But here, 35 years later, it's time to get over Vietnam.

Tell that to your candidate.

Dookie wrote:
Unfortunately, the Bush camp can't do that, as they don't have a record to run on. It seems as though the Bush minions are also falling in line with this sad strategy of talking about anything BUT the issues that are really important to the American people.

Um ... remember that your candidate only wanted to talk about Vietnam at his convention -- not his record.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:42 am
Things like the background of a person that could be our next president.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:45 am
McGentrix wrote:
Things like the background of a person that could be our next president.

you can't judge someone by the indiscretions of their youth...let's see...who said that???? oh yeah....our current president.......embrace it McG from God's lips to your ears.....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:47 am
...which we've already talked about here ad nauseum, with assertions like Ticomaya's last point being debunked over and over and over again. (Remember when we talked about that one?)

Kerry lied about atrocities: nope.

No atrocities took place: nope.

Kerry only wanted to talk about Vietnam at his convention: heck nope.

Moving on...
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:49 am
Quote:
Um ... remember that your candidate only wanted to talk about Vietnam at his convention -- not his record.

Um, no, he didn't. I guess you didn't watch the convention. Or perhaps you watched it on Faux News.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:51 am
Ticomaya wrote:

Gosh, I'm glad I amuse you. That's what I was going for.

We reciprocate, in a sense, because I'm amused that you are so concerned to be labeled, much like your candidate. Very Happy

Now I am amused that you apparently can't interpret what I've said.

Tico wrote:

Free wrote:
I am not a Democrat as I've never registered under any political party. I believe I would be considered an independent. Perhaps now you would answer the same questions about yourself? Are you a neo-conservative? A tighty-righty? Are you a little to the right of Newt Gingrich? Actually I don't care. I choose to evaluate what you say, not what you are.

Laughing Laughing Which is it? Do you care, or don't you?

Maybe you missed where I said I don't care. I was having fun making up terms for a right-ward leaning person as well as putting the shoe on the other foot for you. You willfully ignored the end of my paragraph. I appreciate your extensive psychoanalysis of my writings, btw.

Quote:

Free wrote:
But here, 35 years later, it's time to get over Vietnam.

Tell that to your candidate.

Dookie wrote:

This is a favored accusation. My candidate emphasized his record of service to his country, which he should rightfully be proud of. Anyone who watched the whole convention, or read the transcript of his speech, knows that Vietnam was not the only thing he wanted to talk about.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:56 am
True, it's not the only thing he mentioned, but it was mentioned enough to be an issue.

"Reporting for duty..."

The little film at the end...

His alluding to it 6 times during one of the debates...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:57 am
sozobe wrote:
...which we've already talked about here ad nauseum, with assertions like Ticomaya's last point being debunked over and over and over again. (Remember when we talked about that one?)

Kerry lied about atrocities: nope.

No atrocities took place: nope.

Kerry only wanted to talk about Vietnam at his convention: heck nope.

Moving on...

No ... you can't say "moving on" after you take another swipe. It's against the rules.

Are you saying you "debunked" this point:

Quote:
Whether he spoke the truth or not (and I don't think he did) is immaterial. What is important is the effect that his words had on the men who had been captured on the battlefields of Vietnam, and had to endure torture because of his decision to denigrate the American soldier.[/size]
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:03 am
Ticomaya wrote:

You think Bush lied about Iraq because he passed on information he felt was true, but turned out not to be? Why shouldn't I think Kerry lied when he testified to the Senate because he passed on information he thought was true, but wasn't?

Bush's actions were taken to defend America. Kerry's were taken to tear it down.

Very nicely stated.

A little noticed fact about Kerry's testimony - The "Air Force Sargent ", also in fatigues, who sat next to Kerry during his Senate testimony and who represented the same "Vetrans Group", was later exposed as a fraud. He hadn't even served in Vietnam. The photo is invariably cropped to remove his image from that of the current darling of the liberal left.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:04 am
Free wrote:
This is a favored accusation. My candidate emphasized his record of service to his country, which he should rightfully be proud of. Anyone who watched the whole convention, or read the transcript of his speech, knows that Vietnam was not the only thing he wanted to talk about.

That's right. Your candidate emphasized his military record, so it should come as no surprise that those who believe his record is flawed, should speak out against it.

It may not have been the only thing, but it was the main theme.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:06 am
Quote:
His alluding to it 6 times during one of the debates...

Oooooh, a whopping SIX times. Wow. Vs. how many times Bush referred to his job as being "hard work?"

Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:08 am
How many times did he allude to terrorism during the same debate?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:09 am
Perhaps one should look to the commanding officers at the time as those who were "denigrating" their own soldiers by ordering them to commit some of these atrocities.

I find it AMAZING that these POWs don't EVER question the orders coming from the upper chain of command. Truly amazing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:13 am
McG, it's been mentioned, sure. Just, Kerry "only wanted to talk about Vietnam at his convention -- not his record."? No.

Ticomaya, what has been debunked (I'm not saying I'm the only one to do so) is whether he lied, and whether atrocities were committed.

I believe that men who were prisoners of war were upset by what Kerry said. (Not all of them, mind you -- McCain being a notable example of a POW who has been supportive of Kerry, even when it was politically awkward for him to do so.)

My question is, then what? Was Kerry supposed to say nothing because it would upset them?

Take Abu Ghraib. I'm sure that American soldiers in Iraq were upset at having their honor sullied by what those Americans did at Abu Ghraib. But are the people who knew about the abuses there supposed to say nothing because it would hurt morale?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:14 am
Quote:
How many times did he allude to terrorism during the same debate?

You mean the debate that focused on National Security? You've got to be joking.

Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:24 am
sozobe wrote:

Ticomaya, what has been debunked (I'm not saying I'm the only one to do so) is whether he lied, and whether atrocities were committed.

I believe that men who were prisoners of war were upset by what Kerry said. (Not all of them, mind you -- McCain being a notable example of a POW who has been supportive of Kerry, even when it was politically awkward for him to do so.)

My question is, then what? Was Kerry supposed to say nothing because it would upset them?

Kerry was free to do what he wanted to do, and say what he wanted to say. (Love that 1st Amendment.) But as I said, words have meaning, and they have effect. His 1971 words had an effect on those POWs in Vietnam. He is feeling political fallout because he made enemies of some of those POWs by speaking those words. But let's not just forget he said them, shall we?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:28 am
Quote:
But let's not just forget he said them, shall we?

What the hell does that mean? Of COURSE he said them. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies