Sun 19 Mar, 2017 02:32 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Bill of Rights
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 08:09 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you really cant successfully parse the BoR 's if youre an Originalist. It is what it says.

One of the good things about being an Originalist is that you aren't trying to parse anything to begin with.

It is the liberals who are always trying to pretend that the Constitution means something other than what it says.

farmerman wrote:
STop trying to sound like you know whats on the USSC's "majority" mind.

I wasn't even addressing what is on their mind. But since I do in fact know what is on their mind, if the subject were to come up, I would be well within my rights to address that topic.

farmerman wrote:
Remember, both Scalia and Alito say (wrt Heller) that there exist reasonable and constitutional "Controls" available to Congress other than the regs enacted in Heller.

Yes. So?
33export

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 08:40 pm
Dog nuts - kept democracy safe at Air defense Command radar sites during the Cold War..

http://img1.r10.io/PIC/19332450/0/1/500/19332450.jpg

Oh. You said gun nuts.... Disregard.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 21 Mar, 2017 05:48 pm
Quote:
http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/1EC3/production/_95257870_tv038600590.jpg
Joey Meek cried as his sentence was read in court.

A friend of the Charleston gunman who killed nine worshippers at an African-American church has been jailed for lying to police about the tragedy.

Before his sentencing, 22-year-old Joey Meek tearfully told the court he was not sure if he would survive in prison.

"I'm really, really sorry. A lot of beautiful lives were taken," he told bereaved relatives gathered in court.

His friend, Dylan Roof,f killed nine worshippers during a Bible study in a church in South Carolina.

Meek pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI and failure to report a crime.

"I don't know if I'll make it out of prison alive. I'm scared," he added before the federal judge handed down his sentence of more than two years.

Prosecutors said that white supremacist Roof had told Meek about the plot a week before the attack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39331975
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 21 Mar, 2017 06:20 pm
Two years is pretty lenient.
oralloy

Tue 21 Mar, 2017 09:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Two years is pretty lenient.

If I understand the article, he didn't help, aid, or know about the massacre ahead of time. All he did was lie for his buddy after the fact.

If my understanding is correct, it seems pretty harsh. Unless maybe it's one of those things where he'll only serve a few months and then be released for good behavior.
edgarblythe

Tue 21 Mar, 2017 09:19 pm
@oralloy,
Your understanding needs a mis before it.
oralloy

Tue 21 Mar, 2017 09:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Your understanding needs a mis before it.

Well if I am misunderstanding the circumstances (I'd never even heard of this guy until I read izzythepush's article, and his article remains the sum total of my knowledge about the situation), feel free to post enlightening facts.

Although a nice Hiroshima/Nagasaki argument has just broken out on a non-a2k forum. I might be a few hours before I check back around here. (Although I will check back at some point.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 01:38 am
@edgarblythe,
It is, compare that to the partners of Muslim terrorists.

Quote:
A COUPLE have been jailed on terrorism offences after a man attempted to follow in his brother-in-law’s footsteps by travelling to Syria to join ISIS.

Ijaz Khan, 29, was arrested at Manchester Airport after information was received he was preparing to fly to Syria via Athens.
Leeds Crown Court heard his wife Afsheen Khan, 28, provided money for him to buy the ticket and £1,000 in cash.

Her brother Rohan Malik had joined ISIS aged 17 without telling his family. In December 2014 they heard he had been killed in a coalition airstrike aged just 18.
The court heard Ijaz Khan then decided “to replace him on the battlefield”.

Prosecutor Jonathan Sandiford said he “became radicalised” because of the youngster and planned to fly to Syria on February 1, 2015.

Video found on his phone showed him expressing his farewell and his belief he would become a martyr himself.

Imran Shaffi, defending, said Ijaz Khan previously had a “western” outlook – but contact with his brother-in-law led him to change his views.
Mr Shaffi told the court on Friday: “In the grip of his grief the defendant resolved at the end of 2014 to travel to Syria himself.

“He was in an emotionally disturbed state and could no longer tell what was right or wrong.”

Ijaz Khan, of Bradford, admitted preparation for terrorism acts and was jailed for five years.

Meanwhile his wife Afhseen, who gave birth to their child in HMP New Hall in Wakefield, admitted aiding and abetting the offence was jailed for 35 months.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3122799/wannabe-jihadi-was-helped-by-his-pregnant-wife-who-gave-him-1000-to-fund-his-journey-to-syria/

Add that they didn't actually kill anyone, and if they had it would have been fighting a foreign war, and that sentencing in the UK is more lenient in general than the US.

Their sentencing seems about right, but she still got half as long again as the white guy complicit in murder.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:39 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
One of the good things about being an Originalist is that you aren't trying to parse anything to begin with

You said that with a strait face??? DO you even pay attention to what you rote just few lines before???

Apparently not.

farmerman

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:42 am
seems like the board hs a hir trigger this AM. I tried to delete all but one but no deal. SO lets just look at it as the repeat of sage observation of a misguided individual whose only focus in life is playing with his gun
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:56 am
farmerman wrote:
You said that with a strait face???

Of course. Since I am posting the absolute truth, what would be the problem?

farmerman wrote:
DO you even pay attention to what you rote just few lines before???

Yes.

farmerman wrote:
Apparently not.

No. I recall everything that I've written.

farmerman wrote:
seems like the board hs a hir trigger this AM. I tried to delete all but one but no deal.

The moderators might fix it.

farmerman wrote:
SO lets just look at it as the repeat of sage observation of a misguided individual whose only focus in life is playing with his gun

I'm not sure how it was sage. You appeared to be objecting to me pointing out straightforward facts.

I am hardly misguided. My facts are all in order.

Guns are hardly the only focus in my life.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 09:47 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
You said that with a strait face??? DO you even pay attention to what you rote just few lines before???
Apparently not.

It looks like the moderators repaired the accidentally repeated posts.

Anyway, it appears from your post that you believe that I posted something that is factually incorrect somewhere in my previous posts?

You are mistaken. Everything I posted is factually correct.

But if you point out what you think is incorrect in what I posted. I can try to explain how it is actually correct.
0 Replies