JOhn KERry do you really support him?

au1929

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:09 pm
MgC wrote
Quote:

Ask a Muslim child of an extremist what happens when he kills an infidel while blowing himself up...

Far more dangerous than "going to hell"...

Is that the rebuttal that justifies the intolerance and teachings of the Born Agains.
Two wrongs make a right.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:09 pm
This might be a good time to mention that Christianity had a time in its history when it was thought that dying for Christianity in battle against what Christians considered heathens...was something to be sought and treasured.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:11 pm
Exactly, McG. The extreme fundamentalists of any religion are dangerous. There is no reason to believe that Christian fundamentalists are any stronger advocates of Democracy than Muslim fundamentalists. In fact, on the very same program, they asked the father(?) whether there should be separation of church and state and he said 'the truth is not a democracy', and expanded on that in a way that I found disturbing. Luckily, as a group, they don't control the government enough to bring about these changes, but I think it's something we should be aware of.

Now I have to go hunt down a transcript for the rest of his comment. It was very interesting.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:16 pm
No, you have obviously missed my point.

A fanatic muslim is dangerous. They want to kill.

A Born again Chritisn merely wants you to become a Christian. To consider that dangerous is, well, fatuous.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:21 pm
To forget the Crusades may be dangerous.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:25 pm
McG wrote
Quote:
A Born again Chritisn merely wants you to become a Christian. To consider that dangerous is, well, fatuous.

it starts with a request and ends with a demand.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:28 pm
ehBeth wrote:
To forget the Crusades may be dangerous.

Your blaming the crusades on Born-again-Christians?!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:31 pm
au1929 wrote:
McG wrote
Quote:

it starts with a request and ends with a demand.

Maybe, but what's the worse that can happen if decline to acquiesce? They call you a name, say you will go to hell and move on? That's real dangerous...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:33 pm
McGentrix wrote:
No, you have obviously missed my point.

A fanatic muslim is dangerous. They want to kill.

Actually, McG, there are many fundamentalist Muslims who are not murderous. Just as there are fundamentalist Christians who are murderous -- abortion clinic bombers come to mind.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:35 pm
What they have in common is their allegiance to their faith over anything else, and a feeling that American culture is damaging their spirituality.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 03:25 pm
McG wrote
Quote:
Maybe, but what's the worse that can happen if decline to acquiesce? They call you a name, say you will go to hell and move on? That's real dangerous...

As usual you miss the point. First they request and than when they have the strength they will impose. You must have heard of Bush's religious agenda.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 03:48 pm
Quote:
So Kerry, satan now that I think about it you never see them at the same time.

Now that I think about it, I've never seen Bush and a functioning brain at the same time.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 03:51 pm
After Terror, a Secret Rewriting of Military Law
By TIM GOLDEN

Published: October 24, 2004

ASHINGTON - In early November 2001, with Americans still staggered by the Sept. 11 attacks, a small group of White House officials worked in great secrecy to devise a new system of justice for the new war they had declared on terrorism.

Determined to deal aggressively with the terrorists they expected to capture, the officials bypassed the federal courts and their constitutional guarantees, giving the military the authority to detain foreign suspects indefinitely and prosecute them in tribunals not used since World War II.

The plan was considered so sensitive that senior White House officials kept its final details hidden from the president's national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, and the secretary of state, Colin L. Powell, officials said. It was so urgent, some of those involved said, that they hardly thought of consulting Congress.

White House officials said their use of extraordinary powers would allow the Pentagon to collect crucial intelligence and mete out swift, unmerciful justice. "We think it guarantees that we'll have the kind of treatment of these individuals that we believe they deserve," said Vice President Dick Cheney, who was a driving force behind the policy.

But three years later, not a single terrorist has been prosecuted. Of the roughly 560 men being held at the United States naval base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, only 4 have been formally charged. Preliminary hearings for those suspects brought such a barrage of procedural challenges and public criticism that verdicts could still be months away. And since a Supreme Court decision in June that gave the detainees the right to challenge their imprisonment in federal court, the Pentagon has stepped up efforts to send home hundreds of men whom it once branded as dangerous terrorists.

"We've cleared whole forests of paper developing procedures for these tribunals, and no one has been tried yet," said Richard L. Shiffrin, who worked on the issue as the Pentagon's deputy general counsel for intelligence matters. "They just ended up in this Kafkaesque sort of purgatory."

The story of how Guantánamo and the new military justice system became an intractable legacy of Sept. 11 has been largely hidden from public view.

But extensive interviews with current and former officials and a review of confidential documents reveal that the legal strategy took shape as the ambition of a small core of conservative administration officials whose political influence and bureaucratic skill gave them remarkable power in the aftermath of the attacks.

The strategy became a source of sharp conflict within the Bush administration, eventually pitting the highest-profile cabinet secretaries - including Ms. Rice and Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld - against one another over issues of due process, intelligence-gathering and international law.

In fact, many officials contend, some of the most serious problems with the military justice system are rooted in the secretive and contentious process from which it emerged.

Military lawyers were largely excluded from that process in the days after Sept. 11. They have since waged a long struggle to ensure that terrorist prosecutions meet what they say are basic standards of fairness. Uniformed lawyers now assigned to defend Guantánamo detainees have become among the most forceful critics of the Pentagon's own system.

Foreign policy officials voiced concerns about the legal and diplomatic ramifications, but had little influence. Increasingly, the administration's plan has come under criticism even from close allies, complicating efforts to transfer scores of Guantánamo prisoners back to their home governments.

To the policy's architects, the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon represented a stinging challenge to American power and an imperative to consider measures that might have been unimaginable in less threatening times. Yet some officials said the strategy was also shaped by longstanding political agendas that had relatively little to do with fighting terrorism.

Justice as defined by Cheney and Bush. I am assuming that Bush was told. Whether he understood is another question.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:16 pm
au1929 wrote:
McG wrote
Quote:

As usual you miss the point. First they request and than when they have the strength they will impose. You must have heard of Bush's religious agenda.

What's the point? I seem to have missed it again.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:16 pm
I understand that neither of McCain's daughters are on speaking terms with him because of his support for Bush Embarrassed . I get the feeling from everything he has said he is secretly hoping for a Kerry win. :wink: It's all just politics. I would not be at all surprised if Kerry were to offer McCain a cabinet post when he is elected.

Nader on the other hand is secretly in Bush's corner. Bush offered him a job as White house garbage man. Anything to get to the white house. Smile

Rudy is on the stump for Bush as well he is going to get a hairpiece and a lifetime pass to all yankee games. Razz And a Dick Tracy badge.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:50 pm
George W. Bush goes to a primary school to read My Pet Goat one more
time, hoping that this time he'll understand the ending. After his
photo opportunity, he offers question time. One little boy puts up his
hand and the President asks him what his name is.

"Billy," responds the little boy.

"And what is your question, Billy?"

"I have three questions. First, why did the USA invade Iraq without
the support of the UN? Second, why are you President when Al Gore got
more votes? And third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden?"

Just then the bell rings. The Leader of the Free World informs the
kiddies that it is time for recess, but, because he is The Education
President, because he really believes in education, he will take
time out of his busy schedule to hang around the school, and he will
still be there after recess, and they will continue then.

When they resume, The Education President says, "OK, where were we?
Oh that's right: question time. Who has a question?"

Another little boy puts up his hand. The President points to him and
asks him his name.

"Steve," the boy responds.

"And what is your question, Steve?"

"I have five questions. First, why did the USA invade Iraq without
the support of the UN? Second, why are you President when Al Gore got
more votes? Third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden? Fourth, why
did the recess bell go off 20 minutes early? And fifth, where did
those men take Billy?
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:52 pm
au1929 wrote:
How dangerous are the born again Christians. There was a program on cable yesterday about a typical born again Christian family. They asked the six year old what happens if you do not follow Jesus Christ. The answer was you are going to hell. That my friend is an example of Christian teaching and tolerance. How far is that from people like that voting for a theocracy and an inquisition for all non believers. Yes, the Born Agains scare the crap out of me. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Note: this was not a ficticious family. The were in the home of a real family.

I missed a lot by working today, wow. I don't see this as wrong I think if nothing else it teaches kids that there are consequences for behaviors good and bad. Kids can be raised pretty much as parents see fit here in the USA, then when the kids get older if they want to belive something different or belive nothing at all then there is nothing to stop them.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:12 pm
Quote:
"God is out there, actively campaigning for President Bush," said Beverly Ryan, a retired legal secretary and born-again Christian from West Palm Beach, Florida.

For the Bush faithful, whether Saddam Hussein was involved with the September 11 terrorists attacks is irrelevant. Mr Bush had all the justification he needed to attack Iraq in the Bible.

Beverly Ryan said: "George Bush did what God wanted him to do. Who cares what the rest of the world thinks?"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 03:48 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Quote:
"God is out there, actively campaigning for President Bush," said Beverly Ryan, a retired legal secretary and born-again Christian from West Palm Beach, Florida.

For the Bush faithful, whether Saddam Hussein was involved with the September 11 terrorists attacks is irrelevant. Mr Bush had all the justification he needed to attack Iraq in the Bible.

Beverly Ryan said: "George Bush did what God wanted him to do. Who cares what the rest of the world thinks?"

Then Beverly's god is gonna lose...because George Bush is gonna lose.

We will all have to take consolation in the fact that the United States...and all the rest of the world is gonna win as a result.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:15 am
And so too is the Catholic Church. It would seem they are less interested in the death and distruction of war than they are regarding the right to perform abortions. .
0 Replies