I disappear when my partner sees a cute guy.

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 08:15 pm
A guy recently asked my girlfriend for her number. She gave it to him. She told me right away but also said she would go for coffee if she thought it was as friends. But in their initial discussions (we currently live on other sides of the country, and she comes into contact with lots of men in her program), she didn't mention I exist. Then, the next day, two days before her plane leaves to visit me in New York, he texts her, asking her to an art show. Her reply is: "I can't because I'm going to New York and have a lot to prepare" He says lets meet up next week. She says "Yeah, that sounds nice...". No mention of my existence. Or that she has a partner. Isn't this common parlance? I feel like I mention her to everyone I meet within minutes, because she is always on the tip of my tongue because she is so important to me. This is the fourth time I have felt disappeared in this three year relationship. When we first met and were dating early on, we were at a function, and both of us were at a food table chatting, and this guy I didn't know walks up and starts talking to her. She immediately brightened up, and without introducing me, she and him walked together to another food table, as if I had totally disappeared or never existed, laughing and giggling together! Then, one day we were in a rental car parking lot, and having rented here before, I knew where to park the car. She asked, looking confused, and I pointed and said, it's right over there. Just then, this young, good looking blond guy walks by, and she GETS OUT of the car, as if I hadn't said anything at all, and asks him if he knows where we are supposed to park! When I became upset she then turned it all on me as if I had no right to have a feeling about this. Then another situation where we spent this romantic day driving up the coast, when a program member guy texted her to go out for dinner with some friends, and she says she just went up the coast and wouldn't make it back in time to go, but didn't mention that I was with her, and that that was the real reason we didn't go! And now this guy. She says, "I couldn't think of how to put our relationship into a text to him" and I just put it off to buy time and if he asks again I guess I'll have to find a way to say no" and "I don't know how to deal with this awkward situation". She denies having feelings for him but says she has a "mental attraction as a friend".... and calls this a "situation"...??? Yet when I try to say something she says she doesn't have feelings for him, but since I pressed the issue, she is now considering not coming to New York to see me, because she is angry by the fact that I am hurt. She says she doesn't know what to do. Am I really daft or does she totally have feelings for this guy? Or does she just generally not think that highly of me? Does this kind of thing happen in all relationships? I feel like this never happens in the reverse. I feel I always introduce her to new people, and mention her right away, but she seems to think that merely mentioning that I exist in passing to send a message that she is not available is this huge puzzle she can't figure out. Please help.

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 08:25 pm
The beginning of your post said it already - a guy asks for her number and she gives it to him. Why do you think she gives out her number to other men?
Right! She is interested in other men and she is playing the field while you think you're the only player. Unfortunately, your pretty girlfriend is not ready to have an exclusive relationship with you - or anyone else for that matter. She might say differently, but her actions speak loud and clear.
If you stay with her you're in for a lot of hurt and unless your a masochist,
I'd advise you to look for someone more engaged and vested in you.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 08:27 pm
@Richardo888,
Richardo888 wrote:

A guy recently asked my girlfriend for her number. She gave it to him. She told me right away but also said she would go for coffee if she thought it was as friends.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in buying.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 08:33 pm
Have you asked her what your relationship is? From what you describe, she thinks of you as a friend.

She is not exclusive to you. She is giving off vibes that she is available.

Look at this with clear vision.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 11:20 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in buying.

Is it that big one that goes over the East River? I would like to buy it.
chai2

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 12:03 am
@TomTomBinks,
Ah. Excellent. I also have many other opportunities on offer. Alas the Nigerian gov't is making it difficult to access a large fortune I have inherited.

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:46 am
@chai2,
If you send me $1,000 as a sign of good faith, I will expedite the delivery of your large fortune from Nigeria. PM me for info on where to send your funds.
Skeleton

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 07:33 am
Dump her ass, she doesn't give two shits about you
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 08:55 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Alas the Nigerian gov't is making it difficult to access a large fortune I have inherited.

Oh no! How can I help you with that?
0 Replies

Denese Roundy

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 08:57 am
@Richardo888,
I think you should have a talk with her about the exclusivity of your relationship and your feelings concerning her behavior. If it doesn't work out or she tries to make you feel guilty or at fault for you completely natural and justified reaction - dump her. She is a cheater. It is a classical move from someone who is used to playing the field and keeping her options open. Her whole behavior screams it.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 11:43 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

If you send me $1,000 as a sign of good faith, I will expedite the delivery of your large fortune from Nigeria. PM me for info on where to send your funds.

Would it make things easier for you if I include both my social security and all my credit card numbers?

Please hurry with reply.
farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:23 pm
@chai2,
and dont forget your mom's maiden name. We cant do anything without your mom's maiden name.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:23 pm
@Richardo888,
this

Quote:

"I couldn't think of how to put our relationship into a text to him"

Have the two of you talked explicittly about your relationship? does she consider herself to be in an exclusive relationship the way you seem to?

She obviously knows you have a problem with your contact with other men and is considering not coming to see you as a result.

__

I wouldn't have a problem if my partner did similar things but we've been together for about 20 years and I don't really care if he mentions me to other people or not. He's allowed (weird terminology) to have female friends and I have male friends. I go dancing with one male friend in particular and go out socially with others (without my primary partner). I'm confident about the relationship as is my partner.
chai2

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:52 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree with you ehBeth re having male and female friends, I and my husband have both.

However, this chickie babe....handing out her number to men, etc. etc. Not really a sign of a developing friendship.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

and dont forget your mom's maiden name. We cant do anything without your mom's maiden name.

No wonder these poor Nigerians have such a hard time accessing their money!

So many details!

Oh, also the 3 digit codes on the back of the credit cards...gonna need them too.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 04:17 pm
@Richardo888,
I'd bet money that your girlfriend is young, pretty, and used to having men do everything for her. To her, having men fall over themselves to help her is not only normal, but an expectation on her part.

And being able to get away with anything she likes is also the norm to her.

If this situation isn't for you. Leave.
centrox

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 04:45 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
I'd bet money that your girlfriend is young, pretty, and used to having men do everything for her. To her, having men fall over themselves to help her is not only normal, but an expectation on her part.

I married someone like that in 1976. We were separated by 1979, and divorced by 1982.

Quote:

Yup. She wasn't even embarrassed about it.

Quote:
If this situation isn't for you. Leave.

You are going to eventually. How much pain you undergo before that is your choice.
chai2

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:57 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

vikorr wrote:

I married someone like that in 1976. We were separated by 1979, and divorced by 1982.

Quote:

Yup. She wasn't even embarrassed about it.

If only men would understand this....

https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/04f46bc1d33e633673953b473afa558166aba4-wm.jpg?v=3
0 Replies

Timaeuslee

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 12:00 am
@Richardo888,
The guy is cute? Then U be cuter!
chai2

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 12:04 am
@Timaeuslee,
That is actually wonderful advice