Wife beating in Saudi Arabia

RexRed

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:28 pm
These men who think it is right to beat their wives with a big stick need to be beaten with their own stick a few rounds and see how they feel afterwords. Just a few whaps with these sticks and these cowardly men would be screaming like little girls for mercy! This just shows that the education in Saudi Arabia is in need of a complete overhaul. Less Koran and more of a bill of rights taught in the schools! I know this is a religious post but it also borders on the political. Please give your input all welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,208 • Replies: 45
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:32 pm
I agree in general. Was there an article you meant to link to?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:38 pm
Ooooooooohhhhh.....I saw THAT, Redrex!!!!!

Free - go to memri.com and enter "How to beat your wife" in the search there.

You will be amazed...and that's an understatement!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:39 pm
Oh - the latest one isn't up on their site (plenty of others, though).

In the most recent one, the jerk even shows examples of what size rods to use. Insane!!!!!!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:40 pm
Oh, no thanks, JW. I can't watch stuff like that -- it makes me physically ill.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:50 pm
http://memri.org/bin/articles.cgi?Page=archives&Area=sr&ID=SR2704

Free - the videos didn't show them beating their wives. It was clerics giving "instructions" on how to do so.

The link above is a written article, but has pictures showing one of them demonstrating "rod size" LOL.

It's in the Koran, apparently, that wives must be beaten if they're disobedient.

Edit to correct spelling....this whole subject has me frazzled LOL.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:59 pm
Thanks for the links JustWonders...

They are not supposed to strike them with their hand because they might hurt their hand. These clerics are worse than Neanderthals. Club carrying monkeys. Oh excuse me... male monkeys care better for their mates.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
Re: Wife beating in Saudi Arabia
RexRed wrote:
This just shows that the education in Saudi Arabia is in need of a complete overhaul. Less Koran and more of a bill of rights taught in the schools! I know this is a religious post but it also borders on the political. Please give your input all welcome.

The problem is RexRed, there IS no 'Bill of Rights' in Saudi Arabia. It is an independent Kingdom with its own culture and traditions.

That in no way makes what happens there 'right', especially to westerners like most on these boards, but it is what their culture deems 'proper' and 'acceptable'.

I personally find it disgusting and wish we could do something about it, but much like what is occurring in many places across the world, North Korea, Sudan, Liberia, Iran, etc, there is nothing that we can do about it except to encourage our Congressmen and Senators to push for reforms in those countries as part of the cost of doing business with the U.S. (Except, usually when we try to influence other countries this way, we are accused of bullying or trying to 'impose our values' on other peoples... damned if you do... damned if you don't.)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:04 pm
You guys don't beat your wives?! Shocked
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:06 pm
I'm adding that to my sig, McG, Lol....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:09 pm
Fedral - I think what shocked me the most is the way the videos were so matter-of-fact about it. I watched 3 or 4 - different clerics discussing when and how punishment was to be administered. It was almost Martha Stewart-like - you know, like how to make a pie crust. First you do this...then this...etc.

I kept thinking it had to be a joke, but the sad reality is they're not only serious, these videos were made just this year! Apparently they're shown on the Memri TV Project network.

Just insane!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:13 pm
The underlying problem is when a person tries to use marriage to control another person. Then they think violence is a viable method to communicate a purpose. Maybe America should come in there with a big stick and set them straight! Maybe by seeing our outrage to this issue that they see no problem with will bridge the gulf between savagery and civilization.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:15 pm
Even if they had a Bill of Rights or civil rights or any kind of rights...it's part of their religious teaching. The Koran says they should beat their disobedient wives and children.

Can they change the Koran?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:16 pm
This thread is missing something.... Oh wait here we go.

I agree with the mullahs. Why shouldn't we beat our wives if they don't recognize our manly superiority!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:18 pm
More like: when did YOU stop beating your wife?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:18 pm
Do you think wife beating in Saudi Arabia is worse the the slaughter of unborn children in the United States?

Should they come in with a stick to stop us from murdering our unborn children?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:20 pm
Though I am no fan of spousal abuse (either way), it is important to remember that we are dealing with another culture, and concepts do not always transalate clearly.

I'm not defending it; I think abuse of any kind is brutal and should be condemned. But we need to go about doing so with the fact that there is a massive cultural gap in mind...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:33 pm
Come on Cy, this is a politics thread. We need someone to come out in solid defense of wife beating. No half measures from you.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:05 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Do you think wife beating in Saudi Arabia is worse the the slaughter of unborn children in the United States?

Should they come in with a stick to stop us from murdering our unborn children?

There is a moral debate as to whether unborn children are "living" but a wife is a living and "breathing" human soul deserving of equality and all due respect.

Scientists and doctors obviously believe in abortion for the most part considering they are the ones who perform this procedure. Most all "educated" doctors and scientists do not condone wife beating. Big difference...

I am in the middle when it comes to abortion but I am far up the scale when it comes to my disagreement with wife beating.

It is not "scientifically" known that an unborn baby has a "living soul".

The Holy Bible says humans are not a "living" soul till they take their first breath and they die when they take their "last breath".

Until science can measure the "soul" there will be a debate about unborn children but no one will argue that women have "living" souls the same as men.

Also I am in the middle when it comes to capital punishment but discipline is not a person's right against his wife or any other law abiding human being.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:06 pm
ebrown, your comparison stopped me in my tracks...kudos
0 Replies