Got a great survey call tonight

Fedral

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:39 pm
I was sitting in my favorite chair, watching the Red Sox lay the smackdown on the Stankees when the phone began to ring.

I asked myself, "Fedral, who in the world would be calling you on the phone during this religious event?"

Turning towards my roommate, I said. "Watch, its going to be another pollster" (I get about 3 to 4 a week Very Happy )

The voice on the other end says to me. Excuse me sir, are you a registered voter?" (At this point I chuckle and give the thumbs up to my roomie)

So, being the civic minded individual I am, I reply. "Sure am.

The young voice on the other and of the phone asks. "Would you mind participating in a brief poll?"

Even though I do this a lot, the young man was quite pleasant and was very polite so I hit the mute on the T.V. and say. "Absolutely, be happy to." (I'm sure these people take a lot of abuse during polling so I try to never give them a hard time, I reserve my wrath for true telemarketers)

I could have sworn I head a note of relief in the voice as he continued. "Sir, I represent the League of Conservation Voters." (They do exist) "We were wondering if you intend to vote in this election?"

With a smile I reply. "Oh, absoLUTELY"

A brief pause while he probably enters the info into his computer.

"And sir, do you intend to vote for John Kerry or George Bush?"

Immediately, I say "George Bush"

A long pause, probably because he expected someone who was voting for GWB to sound like Satan himself Twisted Evil

A less sure voice then asks. "And sir, what is the primary issue that concerns you in this election?"

Without pause, I reply. "National Security"

A longer pause...

"Well thank you for participating in our poll sir."

Now, usually I am sure that these people (Mostly volunteers I'm sure) get hung up on and hassled so he was probably shocked when I replied

"Good luck and have a great night."

I unmute the T.V. and return to my chair to once again watch the Sox, and that would be the end of an unremarkable story, when the phone rang again.

Once again, I mute the T.V. and pick up the phone. I was somewhat surprised when a very familiar voice on the other end of the line starts talking. Sorry to bother you again sir, but I'm kind of going 'off script' here in calling you back.

"Mmm hmmm" was my reply.

The young man continued somewhat unsure of himself. "Well sir, you say that security is you main issue... well sir, you should stop by George Soros' website and see what's there"

I suppose that like most young liberals, he believes that the only sites we Conservatives visit is NewsMax, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and crew.

I immediately return "Oh yes, I've visited Mr. Soros' website quite a few times"

A very long pause...

Well thank you sir, have a good evening"

With a smile I give him a quick. "Goodnight" to a very confused young man.

Sitting again in my easy chair like the 'fat-cat' conservative capitalist I am, eating my Wheat Thins and drinking my Dasani water, I realized something that made me a little wistful...

That young man probably broke the rules in calling me back because I returned his politeness with the courtesy that he gave to me and he called me because he though that anyone that spoke to him that nicely was worth the effort to change his mind and take a chance to bring one over to his side of the column.

Maybe there IS hope for todays youth... even liberals. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,891 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:21 pm
That's an amusing one--pollsters trying to change your mind.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 03:03 am
This is highly amusing. Laughing
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 05:20 am
Would you post a link to the "George Soros website" you say you visit? The guy wasn't a pollster but probably a 527 volunteer just trying to make sure those who intend to vote for Kerry show up. If the Kerry vote shows up, Bush is history. Trying to change a Bush voter to Kerry is a waste of time at this point, especially particularly smug ones who would feel the need to boast about their encounters with young unsure campaign volunteers.

Once in awhile, I will engage clueless Bush voters just for fun, anyone speaking to me is grossly overmatched as I have thirty years experience in sales and I know my product, politics, far better than almost anyone I speak to, so had you decided to try to engage me, you would have a come away feeling a lot less smug than you did with this kid.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 05:58 am
You know that Dasani nothing but bottled Atlanta city water, right?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:13 am
Harper: I was not being smug, nor was I IN ANY WAY MOCKING OR DERIDING THIS YOUNG MAN.

I was merely relaying one of the most delightful poll encounters I have ever had. The fact that this young man decided to call back after hearing my reply was what tickled me so much.

FreeDuck: Sure I know Dasani is just the same filtered water they use in Coca Cola, but since my doctor told me I had to quit Coca Cola because of my ulcer, I had to find SOME way to keep giving my money to the Coca Cola Co. Without the massive amount of money I used to spend on Coke, the whole corporation might have collapsed overnight.

Just doing my part. Very Happy
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:15 am
Atlanta's economy thanks you.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:25 am
Fedral - thanks for the chuckles....both in your first post and the response. Smile
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 07:44 am
Harper wrote:
Would you post a link to the "George Soros website" you say you visit? The guy wasn't a pollster but probably a 527 volunteer just trying to make sure those who intend to vote for Kerry show up. If the Kerry vote shows up, Bush is history. Trying to change a Bush voter to Kerry is a waste of time at this point, especially particularly smug ones who would feel the need to boast about their encounters with young unsure campaign volunteers.

Once in awhile, I will engage clueless Bush voters just for fun, anyone speaking to me is grossly overmatched as I have thirty years experience in sales and I know my product, politics, far better than almost anyone I speak to, so had you decided to try to engage me, you would have a come away feeling a lot less smug than you did with this kid.

I have read too many of Harper's posts to believe this statement.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:34 am
The problem is McG, Harper seems to believe that I was in some way knocking this young man for what he did.

He doesn't understand that I was praising him for having the courage to go the 'extra mile' for what he believed in, even if it meant not following the rules.

To just do the minimum to 'just get by' in a job seems to be the norm these days. To have the conviction required to say to oneself. "Hey, that person I just spoke to seems like a nice, reasonable person. Maybe I can get them to see things my way by recommending something that he may have not seen." is the sign of someone who has both conviction and a willingness to discuss issues.

I would have loved to have spoken to this young man further and perhaps debated with him in a forum like this.

The problem is when people like Harper get a kneejerk reaction to what I thought was a post about a very nice experience that I had with a pollster from the 'other side' and twist it to imply that I was mocking him.

Oh, and Harper. I was not being 'smug' when I replied that I was voting for President Bush this year. I was merely replying to the pollster in a clear and concise fashion so that there could be no misinterpretation of my opinion on this poll.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:10 pm
Harper wrote:
Would you post a link to the "George Soros website" you say you visit?

As usual I ask a simple question and can't get an answer. And this guy is bragging about his encounter with a volunteer trainee?
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:18 pm
Fedral wrote:

The problem is when people like Harper get a kneejerk reaction to what I thought was a post about a very nice experience that I had with a pollster from the 'other side' and twist it to imply that I was mocking him.

Oh, and Harper. I was not being 'smug' when I replied that I was voting for President Bush this year. I was merely replying to the pollster in a clear and concise fashion so that there could be no misinterpretation of my opinion on this poll.

Anyone with half a brain can see you are trying to brag over your great victory over the inexperienced volunteer. And I didn't say you were smug with him. Your post is smug. If you wish to engage someone that you won't be able to bully, pm me , I will be glad to give you my cell # and you can try to defend your indefensible positions with me. I can guarantee you won't be able to.
0 Replies

stoplearning

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 05:49 pm
Harper wrote:

You deride Fedral for bragging, but the second paragraph of your post is one of the most pompous passages I have ever read. A highfalutin wannabe sophisicate methinks you are.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:26 pm
No brag just fact. My offer stands. Put up or shut up.
0 Replies

stoplearning

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:36 pm
What would you like to discuss?
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:47 pm
stoplearning wrote:

Your support of the worst president in our history.
0 Replies

stoplearning

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:06 pm
I own a business. My livelyhood and that of my family depends upon my business. My experience is that democrats are bad for business, therefore, bad for my family.

Perhaps you should choose an issue instead of making such broad statements as "your support of the worst president in our history"
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:22 am
stoplearning wrote:
I own a business. My livelyhood (sic) and that of my family depends upon my business. My experience is that democrats are bad for business, therefore, bad for my family.

Perhaps you should choose an issue instead of making such broad statements as "your support of the worst president in our history"

Wrong! Democrats are good for business. Check the performance of the S&P 500 during a Dem Presidency vs a Republican Presidency. Dude you picked the wrong talking point to try to defend the indefensible, I am an investement broker. Bush will be the first president since Hoover to lose jobs. Also, one of the few to see the Dow finish lower when he leaves then when he was inaugurated.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:53 pm
Harper wrote:
stoplearning wrote:

How did this turn into a discussion about Jimmy Carter?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:55 pm
cannistershot wrote:
Harper wrote:
stoplearning wrote:

How did this turn into a discussion about Jimmy Carter?

My thought exactly.
0 Replies