Women are more emotionally intelligent than men.

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 09:36 am
theantibuddha wrote:
wales_rules wrote:
men tend to see showing emotion as a sign of weakness.

And this is what makes people emotionally stupid? Your emotional intelligence is proportionate to the degree to which you express your emotions?

Actually, I think she meant it is better (even smarter) to be free of societal expectations in the expression of emotions. After all, emotions are individual, and to let society determine whether or not you can express them limits their expression.

That said, I don't think women and men are innately different in emotional expression; I believe this difference in expression is due to societal factors, not inherent ones. Why? Examination of other cultures answers that.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 05:16 am
Mmm, I agree Boris.

As I've said previously, short of homosexuality and multiple partner sex it is impossible for one gender to "sleep around" more than the other. It takes two to tango.

BorisKitten wrote:
Actually, I think she meant it is better (even smarter) to be free of societal expectations in the expression of emotions.

Really? It's smarter to act in a way that will cause you to have difficult relating to others causing you to become alone and dissapointed with the majority of humanity? Conformity has its advantages... then again I personally have never chosen conformity in my life, but as much as I would like to think that makes me smarter it really doesn't.

The idea that individuality is more important than conformity to societal expectation is a societal expectation. Think about it, you'll see what I mean.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 06:03 am
Double post ^^'

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/translation/images/smiles/add1_steinigung.gif
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 06:03 am
Individuality comes with a very dear price. If you want to be yourself, you are going to have to fight the world for the right.
http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/1011.gif

Society's expectations are hard to deny.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 06:44 am
Eryemil wrote:
Individuality comes with a very dear price. If you want to be yourself, you are going to have to fight the world for the right.

Duty is heavier than a mountain. Death is lighter than a feather.
-Borderlands saying, wheel of time novels.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 10:12 am
theantibuddha wrote:

BorisKitten wrote:
Actually, I think she meant it is better (even smarter) to be free of societal expectations in the expression of emotions.

Really? It's smarter to act in a way that will cause you to have difficult relating to others causing you to become alone and dissapointed with the majority of humanity? Conformity has its advantages... then again I personally have never chosen conformity in my life, but as much as I would like to think that makes me smarter it really doesn't.

The idea that individuality is more important than conformity to societal expectation is a societal expectation. Think about it, you'll see what I mean.

Actually I think the misunderstanding comes from my talking about something else.... expression of emotions in intimate relationships. I'm thinking something like this: males are taught (hmmm, by whom, I wonder?) that it's not OK to cry, for instance. So if you can't cry in front of your SO because society says you can't, it's your loss. See?

I must mention, from your previous posts, AntiBuddha, I suspect you'd rather prove yourself right, or at least superior, than learn or understand anything. You poor kitten. Maybe later you'll grow up and discover that learning/understanding is more valuable to you than any proof of your own superiority.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 10:41 am
BorisKitten wrote:
I must mention, from your previous posts, AntiBuddha, I suspect you'd rather prove yourself right, or at least superior, than learn or understand anything. You poor kitten. Maybe later you'll grow up and discover that learning/understanding is more valuable to you than any proof of your own superiority.

Laughing
Just saw some of your posts in other forums, and you sound perfectly OK, even kind and understanding. Perhaps the "Philosophy & Debate" forum sets you off... or maybe just this topic? So I'm prepared to retract these statements if you reply with something other than a rant.

And on this topic, I have to echo what I've said so many times before.... males & females are so much more alike than different, it's sort of like arguing over how one petal of a flower is different than another.

EDIT to fix quote format.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 11:00 am
BorisKitten wrote:
Just saw some of your posts in other forums, and you sound perfectly OK, even kind and understanding. Perhaps the "Philosophy & Debate" forum sets you off... or maybe just this topic? So I'm prepared to retract these statements if you reply with something other than a rant.

Hey Boris. I think of myself as an understanding person but at times I just need to blow my lid to keep myself sane, for me the internet is a much safer place to do that so I can come off as a real prick at times online but it keeps me able to function normally in my day to day life. Still, I think the tone of my posts on A2K has improved since I started pouring my anger into a website of rants that I maintain letting me be more understanding on here.

So sorry. Those posts where I seem angry and headstrong I was being angry and headstrong, it's not you misjudging me. Well, not necessarily.

Partly it's because feminism (which this thread very much is) drives me really crazy. As a guy I get sick of being treated like a second class citizen and it being tolerated by a society that would never accept the same things dealt to women. At times that manifests as anger or retaliative sexism. The irony of the matter is that much of the nastier parts of modern feminism have the same origin.

Threads on homosexuality usually affect me the same way and for the same reasons. I can get a bit sketchy on religion too.

So apologies, I hope you can understand where that's coming from and forgive me if I go off my rocker again.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 11:21 am
AntiBuddha, so happy to read your reply! Hey, let me onto the rant website, I need it!

Apologies readily, joyfully accepted.

Actually Feminism pisses me off too (as a female).... a LOT. Why?

I feel like Feminism has pretty much Failed Utterly in its goals, and I also think females are primarily to blame for it, when you get down to it.

I think a lot more females display "retaliative sexism" than males. So when I say I'm a Feminist, I'm labeled as a raving man-hating lunatic. And there ARE raving man-hating lunatics posing as Feminists, all over the place.

I'm VERY disappointed observing young women today. They seem to believe Feminism is Done, thus they can all go back to wanting to grow up to be Princesses and Prom Queens. I actually thought (silly me) that in 2005, girls would want to be Senators, Astronauts, and Auto Mechanics.

And look at the young women who work, and think their stay-at-home (male) SO's are little slaves! This is, if'n you ask me, in direct opposition to the "real" goals of Feminism. It wasn't about retaliation, it was about recognizing how alike males & females are... or so I thought...

I'm also very disappointed to witness all the in-fighting among females that has developed in the name of "Feminism." They're so vicious with one another, fighting over whether it's "right" to stay home w/the kids or work... I almost think they're more mean to each other than men ever were to women.

I thought Feminism meant women joining together to fight for what was right for the group. Apparently it's not, any more.

Maybe we should start a new political movement, "Equality," to replace "Feminism."

Jeez, talk about a RANT! Laughing
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 11:32 am
BorisKitten wrote:
AntiBuddha, so happy to read your reply! Hey, let me onto the rant website, I need it!

For some reason this forum is very much anti-linking so I'll just say that its name is 'Cynical Misanthropy' and that it's google listed with first rank under that name.

However just remember that it's a pure concentration of the same kind of writing that made you think I was a prick... Don't expect open or understanding on that site, it's my one chance to be a bastard and not feel guilty about it because everyone has access to a back button when they read it.

Quote:
Maybe we should start a new political movement, "Equality," to replace "Feminism."

Mmmm, agreed.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:28 pm
Nah, didn't intend to actually READ anything on the site, just to POST RANTS! Hahaha!
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:33 pm
BorisKitten wrote:
Nah, didn't intend to actually READ anything on the site, just to POST RANTS! Hahaha!

Lol, that's my ranting site. Grrrrr yip.

Get your own. Razz
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 02:42 pm
theantibuddha & BorisKitten;
If you keep up this self-analysis on
the subject of "emotional intelligence" in the direction you have taken it seems inevitable that
"feminism" will wind up with the same bad connotation that many people have associated
with the word "liberal" .
Ofcourse, it is possible that you
can shrug of this suggestion as the obvious over-reaction of a liberal feminist, as opposed to an
ordinary humanist observation. I hope not, because many of your observations are thoughtful
contributions to the theme of this thread.....which
was never intended to expound any feminist superiority, even in this particular characteristic.
By the way, I am a male guy.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 04:01 pm
alikimr wrote:
theantibuddha & BorisKitten;
If you keep up this self-analysis on
the subject of "emotional intelligence" in the direction you have taken it seems inevitable that "feminism" will wind up with the same bad connotation that many people have associated with the word "liberal" .
Ofcourse, it is possible that you can shrug of this suggestion as the obvious over-reaction of a liberal feminist, as opposed to an ordinary humanist observation. I hope not, because many of your observations are thoughtful contributions to the theme of this thread.....which was never intended to expound any feminist superiority, even in this particular characteristic.

I thought Feminism already HAD that negative connotation? Like I said, if I say I'm a Feminist, I'm taken for a "ball-breaking, man-hating witch," or something of the sort. I LIKE men! I like women, too!

I was wondering if we could call a philosophy of equality between the sexes "Neo-Humanism," or something like that... um, is that already taken?

Maybe we could call it "We're all just folks...."... IMO, that's the real truth of the matter.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 04:02 pm
theantibuddha wrote:
BorisKitten wrote:

Lol, that's my ranting site. Grrrrr yip.

Get your own. Razz

Teehee! Actually there's probably a zillion of them....
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 08:21 pm
alikimr wrote:
Ofcourse, it is possible that you can shrug off this suggestion as the obvious over-reaction of a liberal feminist, as opposed to an ordinary humanist observation.

As a humanist myself I feel no need to preserve the integrity of the word feminism, what validity it had is long burned out.

Quote:
the theme of this thread.....which was never intended to expound any feminist superiority, even in this particular characteristic.

So the thread entitled "Women are more emotionally intelligent than men" (N.B. no questionmarks) was not intended to expound female superiority even within the characteristic of emotional intelligence. Sorry buddy. You failed.

Quote:

(as opposed to a non-male guy?) Unfortunately these days that doesn't mean much.
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:28 pm
theantibudha:
The statement that women are more
"emotionally intelligent" than men is intended to be a statement of fact regarding that particular characteristic, ....the question of superiority is in YOUR mind. The fact that women are more nurturing than men doesn't not make them more superior than men....does it in your mind?
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:45 pm
I think you've taken Anti's words out of context Alikimr.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 11:44 pm
alikimr wrote:
theantibudha: The statement that women are more
"emotionally intelligent" than men is intended to be a statement of fact

Ah, wonderful, a statement of fact that women fulfill a term more than men. We're not entirely certain even what that term's definition is, but it has to be something in which women can win out. The best thing is that it doesn't even need to be proven. Through the magical powers of equivocation, circular logic and shifting goal posts we can change the definition to match something and anything.

Well tough, it's a statement of fact that I'm more Telv'rem Unshalitarnot than you, so there.

Quote:
the question of superiority is in YOUR mind.

You don't even begin to comprehend what's in my mind, don't try. The term is clearly designed for superiority. The term intelligence is universally positive. Lets play a little word game;

if women are more emotionally intelligent than men then it logically follows that men are more <WHAT> than women?

Answer: Men are more emotionally stupid than women.

Quote:
The fact that women are more nurturing than men

So now it's more nurturing? Odd, a few posts ago it was less promiscuous. No one can come up with a consistant definition of exactly what "emotional intelligence" is, and yet you're so certain that women are better at it.

Quote:
doesn't not make them more superior than men

More superior to whom than men?

Quote:
....does it in your mind?

Superior is subjective and requires a context. Yet it is clearly the intention of the designers of the phrase that it would be a complimentary term.
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:49 am
theantibuddha;
You are right there, antibuddy... I couldn't possibly comprehend what's in your mind.....but I have a deep suspicion nevertheless .
Your little word game is pretty revealing......So you think that if women are indeed
nore emotionally intelligent than men then it follows that "men are more emotionally stupid than
women". Is that how your so-called impenetrable
mind works.......quite a profound admission! Ah, lets not spend too much time arguing about these females....sure, they probably
have SOME emotional intelligence, but certainly
they can't come close to our impenetrable wisdom.
0 Replies