Women are more emotionally intelligent than men.

Eryemil

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:02 pm
Alikimr, I am never quite this blunt, but you should definitely read and analyze his post before you rush to reply. You've clearly no idea what he wrote, or what he meant to say.

I am not going to go into details right now because my head is hurting something awful at the moment.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:12 pm
Sorry I havent read back over all the posts,

but what is the definition of "emotionally intelligent" Alikimr?

And does it imply that men are more generally intelligent than women?
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:40 pm
alikimr wrote:
Your little word game is pretty revealing...

Yes, that commonly occurs with examples and is somewhat the desired effect from an analogy.

Quote:
Is that how your so-called impenetrable mind works...

No, just the english language.

Quote:
Ah, lets not spend too much time arguing about these females....sure, they probably have SOME emotional intelligence

But do they have Telv'rem Unshalitarnot, that's the question?

eryemil wrote:
I am not going to go into details right now because my head is hurting something awful at the moment.

Hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself.
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:46 am
theantibuddha;
You have to tell me what Telv'rem Unshalitarnot means.....its obviously the
element that will allow me to properly appreciate
the essential existential difference between men and women..
....and which is glaringly missing from my vocabulary.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 07:50 pm
alikimr wrote:
You have to tell me what Telv'rem Unshalitarnot means...

Telv'rem Unshalitarnot means nothing, it is a constructed term with little bearing on anything in particular about which the only thing that is known is that I am more Telv'rem Unshalitarnot than you.

Various meanings can be suggested for Telv'rem Unshalitarnot (which is implied through context and its simularity with other words to be a complimentary and positive term), yet should any meaning clearly show that you are more Telv'rem Unshalitarnot than I and all vehement denial to the contrary is unable to change that, then that meaning immediately becomes false and has always been a false meaning of Telv'rem Unshalitarnot.

I trust the analogy is not lost on anyone?
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:39 pm
i'm female, I'm not.

I think it's just that women are trained from early childhood to be more responsive to other people's needs , and to be more nurturing. Guys that acted like that would likely get enough wedgies to damage the equipment enough to ensure that they never physically matured into men Wink .

Isn't my grasp on physiology stunning?
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:45 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

And does it imply that men are more generally intelligent than women?

The original header doesn't imply that at all.

To digress even further, there are very slight trends for women to be better in language and men to be better at maths and abstract reasoning. It's jsut a slight trend, nothing more. I bet i could beat all your male arses at any type of test of abstract reasoning and i bet most of you use better grammar than me. It certainly doesn't mean all men are better than most women at maths or all women are better at language. I think that the same thing applies for emotional intelligence, even though a stupider concept never existed.

xoxoxoxo Odd
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:58 pm
We must've read the same article. LOL Men have not "grown" in our emotional intelligence, and that's the reason why we still don't stop to ask for directions when we get lost on the road. I doubt very much that will change in the future. Wink
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:17 pm
sorry about that. Just amending an very emotionally unintelligent thing i wrote earlier. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:18 pm
deleted. Don't know what this computer is doing at the moment. SOrry for the multiple posts
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:52 am
odd socks wrote:-

"I think that the same thing applies for emotional intelligence, even though a stupider concept never existed."

So you want it both ways. You want us to concede that women are better at some types of reasoning than men but you say that "emotional intelligence" is a stupid idea.

I think its a silly concept too, in fact I dont really know what it means. But I suspect you are content to have women better than men in some areas but pour scorn on the differences between men and women if it means men are better in others Smile
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:49 pm
Absolutely not, and i never said that. I said there are general trends, which affect both sexes. A lot of guys are better at language skills then a lot of women and a lot of women are better at maths/ logical abilities than men. It goes both ways.

I think the problem with "emotional intelligence" is one of definition. Does it mean interpersonal or intrapersonal ability (that is, the awareness of one's own emotions or the emotions of others) ? They aren't the same things, especially for men. I'd say that for men , having good social skills involves publically concealing or refusing to acknowlege emotion. If a man cried in front of his mates, it would be socially unacceptable and make his friends feel uncomfortable.

Off the record, I prefer the way men do things to that of women. Women are m uch too complicated. Guys will just have it out and forget about it. Much easier and less stressful, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:43 pm
Women have a longer life expectancy as a result of their tendency to express themselves and tend to be more aware. But men in expressive societies like Italy ( first example to come to mind, not necessarily best) also live a lot longer than .

I also think women are tougher than men. Women have to deal with a lot more **** than men, not only reasonably rare occurances like childbirth but also being marginalised/objectified and the dual burden of work and childcare ( although the latter is changing) . Women communicate better with others , so they tend to take longer to fold than men. Ironically, being able (and allowed ) to cry and talk about your feelings is an excellent coping mechanism. Men tend to treat women like they are fluffy lil wabbits but the irony is that (in general ) women cope much, much better than they do.
0 Replies

IHateForums

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:12 pm
Nope, you're all wrong.
How can you generalize like that? Some women are complete emotional babies, some men are emotionally secure, and vise versa. I don't think that this is what feminists had in mind when they wanted equal rights. They wanted to be treated equally, not treated better.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 09:44 pm
Smile Absolutely, the whole discussion is about general trends, though, not about any specific person. There are still very clear differences between men and women, even decades after the women's liberation movement. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, and it doesn't mean that the sexes aren't equally good.

As a general trend, i think ( with perhaps less evidence than i should get) that women experience more hardship than men and ( with better evidence) that women are better at expressing their emotions. It's just a trend and, definitely, there are some men that are better with their emotions than some women , however you define being good with emotions.
0 Replies

rushjedi

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 03:04 pm
perhaps..
i dunno women do have a certain degree of emotional intelligience but all too often i see women doing stupid and pointless things just as i see men do it. I really dont think itd s what sex you are its all about what kind f person you are. I mean sure i guess goingby studies women in general show mor eemotional sense then men. But how many men are known to stay in a physically abusive relatioship? Granted this does not happen often but its still a fair point. If women have naturally more emotional intelligience then why do some stay in abusive relationships when they know it will only hurt them? I think that women often think more about emotions and are more conected to them but i dont think that makes them better at using them nesscarrily
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 10:09 pm
Odd Socks wrote:
Women have a longer life expectancy as a result of their tendency to express themselves and tend to be more aware.

Yes... it's got nothing to do with an entirely different hormonal system, different internal organs, evolutionary requirements for childbearing, larger medical funding and an entire chromosone of different information behind the protein formation of their body. No, the discrepancy is entirely because of... what, psychosomatic influence of lowered stress levels?

Quote:
But men in expressive societies like Italy ( first example to come to mind, not necessarily best) also live a lot longer than

Geez, and there I was thinking it might have something to do with improved medical care or possibly the diet but no, it's because they talk a lot. In the case of the Italians this increase in lifespan is probably from exercising their arms every time they talk.

And yet women live 82.5 years compared to the 76.8 years of men in Italy. Guess those Italian men just aren't expressive enough.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:42 am
could it be that women's traditional roles, and societal training give them a specific 'place' from which to deal with life's challenges, and a tool kit with which to cope; notwithstanding, they are by the very nature of this 'training', and the related 'expectations', drawn into the stereotype which it continues to prolong.
Equality of opportunity can and must allow all of us to reach whatever heights (or depths) of which we prove capable, without chromazonal interference.

[and this will only occur if 'sex' is taken off the table (so to speak)! Rolling Eyes ]
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:10 am
could it be that men's traditional roles, and societal training give them a specific 'place' from which to deal with life's challenges, and a tool kit with which to cope; notwithstanding, they are by the very nature of this 'training', and the related 'expectations', drawn into the stereotype which it continues to prolong?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:05 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
could it be that men's traditional roles, and societal training give them a specific 'place' from which to deal with life's challenges, and a tool kit with which to cope; notwithstanding, they are by the very nature of this 'training', and the related 'expectations', drawn into the stereotype which it continues to prolong?

it could, it could.

[it is, it does.]
0 Replies