Frugal1

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 09:49 am
http://sexy-56ef.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/No-freedom-of-speech.jpg
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Immigration is a good thing - the backbone of America. We are all immigrants from somewhere - if not immediate then parents, grandparents came from another country. Immigrants made this country great and continues to do so.
What would we do without Mexican laborers? Who would work in the fields of El Centro where we harvest three times a year and the weather reaches beyond 100 F in the summer while pesticide planes are hovering over the fields? Who would work in the massive strawberry fields where every strawberry needs to be handpicked? Who would work in the hotel industry cleaning rooms, working in the kitchen, and so on ? It's Mexicans who work very hard manual labor and live in primitive conditions saving every Dollar so their children can have a better life. Who are we to deny this to them?

What about all the Asian immigrants? Most colleges could fold up shop if it weren't for Asian students who take learning very seriously.

What about the Iraqi immigrants who fled Saddam Hussein from persecution and their neighbors the Iranians who fled the country after Shah Reza died?

The list can go on and on......bottom line is, this country benefits from immigrants and needs immigrants to keep us all afloat economically.

The sociological reality is that before 1850 the country was WASP, Southern Black slaves, and Northern free Blacks. The Catholics and Jews came due to crises at home (Revolution of 1848 where liberal Germans were the losers; Jews from Czarist Russia, due to pogroms; Irish due to the potato blight and kicking them off their land, and others (for free or low cost land out west) - all after 1850. And, coincidentally (read sarcastic) it coincided with the Industrial Revolution where the newcomers manned the assemby lines, or built whatever, while those pre-1850 WASP's were raised to the "managerial class." The early bird always catches the worm.

But saying we are a nation of immigrants is leaving out the salient fact that the arrival of the teeming amasses was all based on self aggrandizement of the early arrivals (self-serving so to speak). So, to be honest, the country, in my opinion, is owned and run by those early arrivals. The earlier the better, so to speak. Everyone else usually takes a generation or two to join the American mindset and give up the emotional baggage of the old country. In effect, if one has a hyphen in their identity then they require a "narrative" as to why they are loyal Americans; however, in my opinion, those early birds always say they are just American, no hyphens, no narrative.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:54 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Just out of curiosity, Why do you guys conflate legal and illegal immigration as though they are the same thing?

You do know that there is a difference between the two, right?

I think it is called "newspeak."
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

...Refugees/asylum seekers aren't really immigrants, there's not only a legal difference...

In my opinion, immigrants are those seeking opportunity, sometimes moving here and there, with the goal of eventually finding a comfortable niche. Refugees/asylum seekers are driven by their prior home(land) experiencing different versions of entropy. But don't tell that to a progressive. The world is open to all in some folks' minds.
Miller

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 04:21 pm
Quote:
Who would work in the hotel industry cleaning rooms,

This is an old, old comment, made to justify the illegal entry of Mexicans into the US. Who did the cleaning? Well in the City of Chicago, prior to the arrival of Hispanic labor, it was the Polish, Irish, German, Afro-Americans...besides many,many others.

It was common knowledge that Polish-American women were a common sight, in the evening hours, scrubbing bank floors in the Loop of Chicago on their hands and knees. Who felt sorry for these slaving women?

No one!!

If Hispanic labor isn't happy working in the USA, let them return to Mexico.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 07:27 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3v2MEbVUAAnFJz.jpg:large
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 12:05 pm
@Foofie,
"Comfortable niche?" You mean it's not about life and death and freedoms?
Foofie

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 02:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

"Comfortable niche?" You mean it's not about life and death and freedoms?

Please read in context of the comment from Walter. He seemed to think that immigrants are different from refugees/asylum seekers. I said immigrants are not escaping a bad situation, like refugees/asylum seekers, but looking for a niche that is better than from wence they came. Immigrants are hoping for upward mobility. Refugees/asylum seekers are concerned about their safety and freedoms.
Miller

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:14 am
@Frugal1,
Cite your reference.

Did you mention free college tuition for State schools in the US for illegal people?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 04:18 am
Illegal immigrants, whether they behave poorly or well once they get into America, are here illegally and have neither an ethical nor a legal right to stay. America, like virtually every country in the world, has the right to control entry. If the people don't want to have these immigration laws, they have only to get their congressmen to repeal them. Entering the US illegally and not getting caught for a long time does not confer legitimacy. Illegal immigrants whose families are inconvenienced when they are deported might have considered that possibility before they made the decision to enter the country illegally. The inconvenience is their fault and not the fault of the government for enforcing the laws that they (the illegal immigrants) decided to break.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 08:07 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Illegal immigrants, whether they behave poorly or well once they get into America, are here illegally and have neither an ethical nor a legal right to stay. America, like virtually every country in the world, has the right to control entry. If the people don't want to have these immigration laws, they have only to get their congressmen to repeal them. Entering the US illegally and not getting caught for a long time does not confer legitimacy. Illegal immigrants whose families are inconvenienced when they are deported might have considered that possibility before they made the decision to enter the country illegally. The inconvenience is their fault and not the fault of the government for enforcing the laws that they (the illegal immigrants) decided to break.

Agreed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 11:47 am
@Foofie,
Prove your claims. Your opinion is worth zero.
Miller

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

MODERATOR ALERT: Attack mode in progress.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 01:52 pm
@Miller,
I enjoy attacking your posts when you don't answer the question, but try to divert it. LOL
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 05:51 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

MODERATOR ALERT: Attack mode in progress.

The above comment made by CI was directed to Foofie, not Miller.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:39 pm
@Miller,
OMG, this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time here...
don't you know that nothing will happen, Miller/Foofie?
Attack mode? Whoever enters the realms of politics, needs to take it or stay out of the kitchen!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 06:46 am
@cicerone imposter,
So, you also make no distinction between legal and illegal immigration?
Lash

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 07:02 am
Bernie's idea sounds like what I think we need: compassionate treatment of aspiring Americans who are here, and a secure border. I was listening when Bernie said his programs for universal healthcare and repaired infrastructure will not work with open, flowing borders such as we have now.

https://berniesanders.com/issues/a-fair-and-humane-immigration-policy/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 12:07 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
So, you also make no distinction between legal and illegal immigration?

Not my responsibility. It's what our government does. CLUE: I have no control over immigration. IMHO, I welcome immigration. Why? Because 99% of us living in this country had ancestors who came from another country.

We also attract many of the smartest and brightest to Silicon Valley from around the world. I wish that to continue into the future.