Maybe there is a good reason to re-elect George Bush!

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:11 am
Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The Guardian
John Le Carré

Maybe there's one good reason - just one - for re-electing George W Bush, and that's to force him to live with the consequences
of his appalling actions, and answer for his own lies, rather than wish the job on a Democrat who will then get blamed for his predecessor's follies.

Probably no American president in all history has been so universally hated abroad as George W Bush: for his bullying
unilateralism, his dismissal of international treaties, his reckless indifference to the aspirations of other nations and cultures,
his contempt for institutions of world government, and above all for misusing the cause of anti-terrorism in order to unleash
an illegal war - and now anarchy - upon a country that like too many others around the world was suffering under a hideous
dictatorship, but had no hand in 9/11, no weapons of mass destruction, and no record of terrorism except as an ally of the
US in a dirty war against Iran.

Is your president a great war leader because he allowed himself to be manipulated by a handful of deluded ideologues?
Is Tony Blair a great war leader because he committed Britain's troops, foreign policy and domestic security to the
same hare-brained adventure?

You are voting in November. We will vote next year. Yet the outcome in both countries will in large part depend on the same question: how long can the lies last now that the truth has finally been told? The Iraq war was planned long before 9/11.
Osama provided the excuse. Iraq paid the price. American kids paid the price. British kids paid the price. Our politicians lied to us.

While Bush was waging his father's war at your expense, he was also ruining your country. He made your rich richer and your poor
and unemployed more numerous. He robbed your war veterans of their due and reduced your children's access to education. And he deprived more Americans than ever before of healthcare.
Now he's busy cooking the books, burying deficits and calling in contingency funds to fight a war that his advisers promised him he
could light and put out like a candle.
Meanwhile, your Patriot Act has swept aside constitutional and civil liberties which took brave Americans 200 years to secure,
and were once the envy of a world that now looks on in horror, not just at Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib, but
at what you are doing to yourselves.

But please don't feel isolated from the Europe you twice saved. Give us back the America we loved, and your friends will be waiting
for you. And here in Britain, for as long as we have Tony Blair singing the same lies as George Bush, your nightmares will be ours.

© David Cornwell 2004
· John Le Carré is a novelist.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,563 • Replies: 40
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:32 am
Yes! He should be forced to see the results of a growing economy, a free middle east, low un-employment and the end of islamic terrorism!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:38 am
Gee Frank, you think he's a loose cannon now? Wait till he doesn't have to worry about getting re-elected...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:56 am
McGentrix wrote:
Yes! He should be forced to see the results of a growing economy...

You gotta be kidding!

Quote:
...a free middle east

You gotta be kidding!

Quote:
...low un-employment

You gotta be kidding!

Quote:
...and the end of islamic terrorism!

You gotta be delusional!

Wow...can ideology truly do this to an intelligent individual?????
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:00 am
Exactly, Bill!

Frank, yeah, I've been thinking about that as I try to prepare myself for the possibility of a Bush win. (Not saying he will, but don't want to actually crash on the rocks of despair IF he does.)

Here's my fear... Bush got in as a moderate. Nobody really thinks Cheney will run in 2008. So that means it will be some OTHER Republican running in 2008, who can distance himself from what Bush has done, call himself a moderate. And get in. And on it will go...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:16 am
Soz- If Bush wins, I think that the moderate Republicans will clamp down on him. Up until now, the people in his party could not some out strongly against some of his more, let us say, "way out" ideas. As a president in his second term, I think that his compatriots will hold him more in check.

After all, there is 2008!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:17 am
Great piece, Frank. Thanks for posting it.

Last night, as Bear and I were watching The Daily Show, I heard the argument put forth by former Mayor Koch that the reason he was supporting Bush was because we are in the middle of a war.

I have heard many say that as their reason.

So, since Bush has told us repeatedly that this will be a very long war... Does he get elected again in 2008? We'll still be in the middle of a war. Using the logic being put forth by Bush supporters Bush will need to be elected again for time unknown since that is how long it will take, according to Bush, to fight terrorism. If we can't change horses in the middle of the war now, what makes you think that isn't a reason in 2008?

Get it? It's a ridiculous reason to keep an incompetent president in power.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:19 am
But how? Some of them are moderate, some aren't -- and the ones who contradict him know that they will be shut out. If they were a bloc -- all-moderate senate and house against the prez -- maybe. But that's not the case.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:20 am
McG wrote.

Quote:
Yes! He should be forced to see the results of a growing economy, a free middle east, low un-employment and the end of islamic terrorism!

Where should he be looking. Certainly not to the US.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:22 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Soz- If Bush wins, I think that the moderate Republicans will clamp down on him. Up until now, the people in his party could not some out strongly against some of his more, let us say, "way out" ideas. As a president in his second term, I think that his compatriots will hold him more in check.

Agreed, mainly because if they don't... chances of a republican winning in 2008 would be slim.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:22 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Wow...can ideology truly do this to an intelligent individual?????

No.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:27 am
Brand X wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Agreed, mainly because if they don't... chances of a republican winning in 2008 would be slim.

It should be slim right now, but it isn't. And if Bush wins and Republicans stay in control of both houses, it won't be slim in 2008, either. If people can't see the damage done in the first 4 years, what makes one think they will see it after 8? It certainly won't be from a sudden increase in intelligence through education.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:29 am
sozobe wrote:
But how? Some of them are moderate, some aren't -- and the ones who contradict him know that they will be shut out. If they were a bloc -- all-moderate senate and house against the prez -- maybe. But that's not the case.

Personally, I think that the moderate Republicans and the more conservative Democrats will form a bloc. Bush has been playing to a group of ultraradical religious. I do not believe that most of the people in Congress are in agreement with many of his views.

I had mentioned on another thread that I was not impressed by either Martinez (R) or Castor (D) who are running for the senate. I might just vote for Castor just to try to get another Democrat into the senate.

Whichever way this race goes, one thing I know for certain. If one or the other parties predominates in both the Administrative and Legislative branches, we are in BIG trouble. What we need now, more than ever, is checks and balances.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:30 am
Get ready for Giuliani in 2008!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:59 am
Completely agreed about checks and balances.

All the more reason to get a Democratic president. ;-)
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:13 am
sozobe wrote:
Completely agreed about checks and balances.

All the more reason to get a Democratic president. ;-)

Used to hate gridlock, but it's good. :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:29 am
kickycan wrote:
Get ready for Giuliani in 2008!

Now there is someone that I could vote for in a heartbeat! Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:53 am
Don't vote for Kerry just because you hate Bush. Check Kerry's voting record and see if he is your kind of guy.

http://www.smart-voter.com
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:19 am
That would be a good strategy if you just hated Bush because of his personality.

If you look at what Bush has actually done and hate him, then Kerry's voting record is small potatoes compared to Bush's record in office.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:29 am
cjhsa wrote:
Don't vote for Kerry just because you hate Bush. Check Kerry's voting record and see if he is your kind of guy.

http://www.smart-voter.com

I did, he isn't.
0 Replies