NAACP pays for votes with crack cocaine

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:18 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/10/18/mary.poppins.registers.to.vote/index.html

Authorities charge man submitted fictitious voter registration forms
Monday, October 18, 2004 Posted: 7:39 PM EDT (2339 GMT)

Ohio authorities say a man was charged Monday with allegedly filling out more than 100 fictitious voter registration forms, some in names such as Disney character Mary Poppins and pop singer Michael Jackson.

Chad Staton, 22, of Defiance County in northwestern Ohio, was to receive money for each registration form he could persuade potential voters to fill out, said Sheriff David Westrick.

Instead, Staton, himself, filled out the forms and returned them to the Toledo woman who hired him. Sheriff's deputies allege he was paid in crack cocaine instead of money.

Staton had his first court appearance Monday on a felony charge of false registration, and was released on his own recognizance. He has another court appearance scheduled for Friday.

Westrick said the Toledo woman, Georgianne Pitts, 41, told officers she was recruited by Thaddeus Jackson II of Cleveland to obtain voter registrations. He said a business card provided by Pitts indicated that Jackson is the assistant Ohio director of the NAACP National Voter Fund.

According to its Web site, the National Voter Fund advances the cause of civil rights through advocacy, educating voters on candidates' stands on civil rights and increasing voter turnout in the African-American community.

The sheriff added that deputies and Toledo police had obtained a search warrant for the house where Pitts lives. He said officers confiscated drug paraphernalia and voter registration forms from the home
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,328 • Replies: 47
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:48 pm
Why trying to build hysteria about the NAACP with this story?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:55 pm
Guess you'll have to ask CNN that question, Edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:10 pm
CNN don't post here.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:16 pm
CNN is the one who broke the story though. Postings on this forum are driven by the news.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 12:16 am
But CNN did not spin the story into the misleading title that Mysteryman used.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 04:41 am
What Craven said.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 04:44 am
Foxfyre wrote:
CNN is the one who broke the story though. Postings on this forum are driven by the news.

Unless it is a negative story about the NAACP wing of the DNC, apparently.

Some here seem to think one must not post anything critical of them.

Why is that do you suppose?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 04:52 am
If real facts against them were used at least you would have something to go on.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 05:10 am
edgarblythe wrote:
If real facts against them were used at least you would have something to go on.

You claiming CNN fabricated, "...Georgianne Pitts, 41, told officers she was recruited by Thaddeus Jackson II of Cleveland to obtain voter registrations. He said a business card provided by Pitts indicated that Jackson is the assistant Ohio director of the NAACP National Voter Fund.?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 05:18 am
Let me clarify. Someone was hired by Jackson, who is with the NAACP, to get voters registered. THAT person (Pitts) chose to hire someone else to get the voter registrations and THAT person (Pitts) decided to pay her hire with cocaine.

Where is the NAACP in this? The story doesn't say Jackson gave Pitts cocaine and told her to hire someone and pay them with it. Get it?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 05:23 am
squinney wrote:
Let me clarify. Someone was hired by Jackson, who is with the NAACP, to get voters registered. THAT person (Pitts) chose to hire someone else to get the voter registrations and THAT person (Pitts) decided to pay her hire with cocaine.

Where is the NAACP in this? The story doesn't say Jackson gave Pitts cocaine and told her to hire someone and pay them with it. Get it?

Follow the money, it goes right back to the NAACP operative. Get it?
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 05:23 am
Your thread title is a fabrication, please change it.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 05:24 am
Harper wrote:
Your thread title is a fabrication, please change it.

Follow the money, it goes right back to the NAACP operative.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:03 am
Racism has an ugly face.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:08 am
Larry expected the woman to give up her real supplier, I guess. Who is more dangerous to her? NAACP? Or, the local person from whom she regularly obtains cocaine?

I'll wait for the final investigation report.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:08 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Racism has an ugly face.

Racism is ugly, period!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:27 am
Damn right it is.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:28 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Damn right it is.

Good, we have a rare point of agreement. Very Happy
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:21 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
But CNN did not spin the story into the misleading title that Mysteryman used.

I realize the Democrats here would prefer CNN's titling of the story over that chosen by Mysteryman, but how is it "spin" if the included details (the NAACP is mentioned, votes were allegedly paid for with crack cocaine.

It is comments such as these that would just fly by me if those who choose to criticize would make even the smallest attempt to apply the same standards to ALL such examples.

The title "sh*t boat veterans get da boot" on this forum is offensive to me (and I'd guess to others as well), but you don't see us whining about it.

Gosh, Craven, I'm just on pins and needles wondering how you'd have titled the thread to be totally "spin-free".
0 Replies