Am I being nitpicky because I asked my husband to stop bringing junk food home?

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 06:49 am
For the last 4 years I've nicely asked my husband to STOP bringing junk food, (cookies, donuts, Ice cream, chips, ) into the house. We all struggle with weight and certainly don't need those extra temptations. I do the main grocery shopping and do not buy those things. He continues to bring them home saying, "I'm just trying to be nice. "
It's not nice and I believe he's sabotaging me after my 60lb weight loss.
He told me it's bull $@%! He can't have ice cream in his own home (which he never eats it) and I'm being nitpicky. I wouldn't consider that nitpicking. He told me I should just ignore that it's here. Am I being ridiculous? I feel like he's blatantly disrespecting me.

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 07:07 am
@Jrainbow,
Is this new behavior? It sounds like maybe he did this all along - when you were not caring about what you were eating. Thats how he nurtured you.

Maybe he wants to please you and doesnt know how. TELL him what it is you would like (clothes, shoes, new couch, etc)

(It could be he is sabotaging your weight loss but I'll give him benefit of the doubt right now)
Jrainbow

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 07:14 am
@PUNKEY,
No he's done it for 4 years. After he brings it home and I complain, he says it's for him. He's contradictory. He also complains about money, but spends at least $80 aweek on junk/fast food.
I can see what you are saying about trying to nurture me, however I've been crystal clear that's not the way to do it. That's why I feel it's somewhat malicious. He knows it upsets me, yet continues.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 07:18 am
@Jrainbow,
Are you being nitpicky? Yeah, probably a little bit. There are about a thousand other things more important in a marriage than one party bringing unwanted snacks into the house.

Is he disrespecting you? Not sure I would call it disrespect. But he certainly is not being supportive of your desire to keep the snacks away so you don't eat unhealthily.

Bottom line, you need to decide how much of a problem this is for you. If he is not going to stop doing this, then you can either keep nagging him about it which may lead to bigger arguments, or you can drop it and put the snacks somewhere that you won't regularly see them and be tempted.

Good luck.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 08:48 am
I have had big weight losses and I know what that temptation is like. It's a bit like being a former addict; you can't allow yourself to backslide. And having it in your face does not help one bit. I absolutely get where you're coming from where it feels like sabotaging your efforts.

Does your husband work outside the home? If he does, then maybe the solution or at least a part of it is to suggest to him to get himself an ice cream cone or the like during his lunch hour. That way, he gets his ice cream and it never comes home with him.

You could potentially also enlist your family doctor to help you. The doctor can help to explain that you (and your husband as well) need to watch not only weight and calories, but also blood sugar and cholesterol. Studies are all over the place these days, but pretty much no doctor is going to see more than an occasional ice cream treat as being healthy for anyone.

Ice cream at least has calcium. Cookies are pretty much 100% junk unless they are specifically made with things like mashed bananas instead of oil, and fruit or nuts instead of milk chocolate, etc. But even then, no one would mistake a cookie for a health food.

As for the budgeting, he needs to see where the $$ is going. $80 per week on junk food is a lot, particularly when it's not him going to a fast food place for all of his meals (I assume that's the case). Hence he's bringing home at least a grocery bag full or so of this stuff. You can also go with a limiting factor, e. g. one item or half a grocery bag full and no more. That doesn't utterly solve the problem but it might help to reduce it. And show him where the saved money is going, whether it's into a new set of wiper blades for the car or a replacement for the old living room rug. Or make a vacation fund and show him how the saved money is accumulating in it.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 08:53 am
@Jrainbow,
Congrats on your weight loss!

I'm going to have to back you on this one. You're not being nitpicky, he's being irresponsible and obtuse. Even healthy people with good BMIs should avoid eating that crap as much as possible. It's not "nice" to maintain a supply of low-grade poisons for the family and the $80 expense is obscene.

But here's one thing — he's not forcing you to consume this crap, right? And he doesn't eat it. So where is it all going? Wouldn't a freezer full of uneaten ice cream send him a message?

0 Replies