The Best Movie Of All Time

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 06:36 pm
There we've previously agreed to disagree. I think Mel did a brilliant job in BH, and despised the passion. The only part I didn't like about BH is all there was to the passion... go figure.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:49 am
Ah, there was a part you didn't like! I'm not saying I didn't enjoy "Braveheart" but after seeing it I had few afterthoughts other than it exploited history rather than it was an exposition of history.
That this is true of so many historical Hollywood movies is not letting the film off the hook. Even British films like "Cromwell" became laughable because of the affectations of the writer and director. The producers of BH didn't make a mistake mis-casting Mel as William for marketing purposes but they did make a mistake for aesthetic integrity. Good ole Hollywood inner politics, all transpiring mostly in secret boardroom meetings Hey, sounds like Washington DC, doesn't it. Does that make that city Tinsel Town East Coast?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 10:25 am
Certainly a similar make up of posers and pretenders.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 02:05 pm
I liked Mel Gibson and Glen Close tremendously in Hamlet... I think I like Mel as Hamlet better than I liked him in Braveheart. He was ok in Braveheart I guess. I never really "got" Braveheart. I need to watch it again I think. His rendition of Hamlet is the best ever made in my opinion. There is something to be said about a movie when the hero dies(Braveheart)... I liked the soundtrack to Braveheart though. My friends and I use it often for background music for DandD games and Rifts...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:53 pm
Although Kenneth Branaugh and Sir Lawrence Olivier are the two best Hamlets in film, I did appreciate Gibson's performance as the Nutty Dane. One can always depend on James Horner for a great soundtrack.

Politics often brings out the monster and that's very Hollywood.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 11:01 pm
The Wizard

From the rock-bound coast of Maine to the
Sun.... oh - oh, no -- -- ah - Well, be
that as it may. Back where I come from we
have universities, seats of great learning
-- where men go to become great thinkers.
And when they come out, they think deep
thoughts -- and with no more brains than
you have.... But! They have one thing you
haven't got! A diploma!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 11:35 pm
http://www.mainemediaresources.com/mpl_wizardofoz.htm

Tell me your thoughts about this link.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:35 am
Strange interpretation but I'm afraid it would ruin the movie for me to flip everything into metaphoric allegory. The book was written long before and I find it difficult to classify any of Baum's books as satires, save some sections of "Return to OZ." At least not in the vein of, say, "Gulliver's Travels" even if there are some subtle social commentaries.

Could the Wicked Witch's domain be the Evil Empire? Red ruby slippers? See "Wicked" on Broadway for a delicious interpretation of the books.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:45 am
24th day
24th Day (movie name)

I have as of latest added this movie to my top 10...

becaues of my fear of contracting HIV... check it out. Let me know what you think.
0 Replies

laqo

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 06:07 pm
My Faves:
Drama/ Comedy-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Movies that Rock-Cool Hand Luke
Tear Jerker-Sophie's Choice, Steel Magnolias, When a man Loves A Woman
Comedy-Happy Gilmore
Far-Fetched Comedy-Natural Born Killers
Feel Good Movies-How to Lose A Guy in Ten Days, Seabiscuit, Herbie the Love Bug
FUBAR-Jacob's Ladder
Epic-Exodus, Lord of the Rings
Biographies-Erin Brokovich

As you can see, I'm an insomniac
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:37 am
It would be better for movie fans to watch:

a) more movies made before 1976, and
b) more foreign movies

because the bulk of classic movies fall into these 2 categories. You have a very impoverished idea of what movies can do or be or say if your idea of a classic is ERIN
BROCKOVICH.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:19 pm
My own personal all-around best movie of all time is "The Right Stuff". The movie captures a slice of American drive, ingenuity, courage and the quest to explore and features superb cinematography and acting (i.e., Dennis Quaid, Scott Glenn, Sam Sheppard & Ed Harris, in particular).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:27 pm
The choices for best movie that people have put up on this thread just go to show that Hollywood is nothing but a crap factory.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 04:56 pm
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 05:26 pm
Very true and that whole premise is based on whether everyone else's movie likes are crap but yours.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 05:52 pm
They are. Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:23 am
Are we emulating President Bush -- I think I made a mistake but it was only that I thought I made a mistake?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:26 am
...and what was your choice of best movie, again?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:30 am
Kill Bill. & 2

well.. maybe not the best of all time..
I am just on a Kill Bill trip. I have been for months.
I loved it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:37 am
If I was stranded on a desert island with a solar powered dvd player, and could only have one movie, I would bring "The Maltese Falcon."
0 Replies