God father (i love part3 especially)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 04:58 am
Bio-Dome, hands down.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:37 am
I will agree "The Sound of Music" is a close tie. I think the "The Wizard of Oz" moves a bit faster and captures the imagination a bit bettter than "The Sound of Music". Judy Garland's performance was prime yet so was Julie Andrews. "The Sound of Music" can drag in certain places. But I will agree it has it's profound moments that counter balance that. "Climb every Mountain" very powerful... "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" another great one. The songs really shine in "The Sound of Music" where the story seems to move faster in the "Wizard of Oz". Havent seen "Bio-Dome" and "The Godfather Series" were great too.

Some other movies I like but I do not hold them up as the best of all time though who knows:

Sophies Choice
Brother of Sleep
Orpheus Descending
Gladiator
Pump Up the Volume
Ghost Busters part 1
Amadeus
Lord of the Rings
Mrs Doubtfire
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:11 am
Hitchock's "Vertigo."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:25 am
There is no best movie. There are too many brilliantly concieved/executed to pick just one. And even some of the ones far from great can be very satisfying. It boils down to taste. Many pick The Godfather as great, just as one example. I found it to be not a lot different from a whole slew of other of the same genre of films. Not downplaying others' tastes, just putting my own perspective.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:32 am
It is, of course, subjective to pick a best movie or a top ten list. Sight & Sound magazine's poll of the top world film critics and directors may clear things up for some. On the critics's poll it's "Citizen Kane" with (and I didn't pick it for this reason) "Vertigo" as second. The directors pick was "The Godfather."

The list is similar every year and doesn't include any recent movies (of the last twenty years). Curiously, "Singin' in the Rain" made it onto the list and "The Searchers" fell off the list.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:36 am
So even the experts don't agree. I never let others' opinions sway my viewing habits much. I didn't watch the Godfather before a couple months ago. I've never seen a Schwartzenager film or a James Bond film. Don't have a good reason, just never had an urge.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:46 am
Well, I look at the Wizard of Oz with a different perspective every time. I didn't dislike the Sound of Music, but I didn't particularly like it, either.

Sophie's Choice was awesome as well as Amadeus, but probably not realistic nor true to the situation.

and I did love Vertigo, just as I enjoyed Once Upon a Time in the West, and that was because the actors, who usually played good guys, were villains.

You're right, edgar. It just depends on the age and the stage, I guess.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:51 am
I admit to the Bond films as a guilty pleasure and critically "From Russia With Love" is the best of the lot.

Ahnold's best film was "True Lies" and it's also the last film that made a lot of money.

The AFI's list of 100 Greatest American Movies is helpful:

http://www.filmsite.org/afi100films.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:54 am
I greatly enjoyed Richard Burton as Dr Faustus, but apparently nobody else did. I have no illusions about the quality of the film, just enjoyed the enthusiasm of Burton, along with the words of Marlowe.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:55 am
I also think Citizen Kane, Star Wars, and Ben-Hur are up there in the list of greatest films ever made. I'm not even a Star Wars fan but I can recognize the imagination and unlimited boundaries it brought to movies.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:59 am
Light Wizard, I just looked at that list and I absolutely can't wait to watch It's a Wonderful Life 100 times over the holidays. Definitely one of my favorite movies!

James Stewart was dreamy. Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:03 am
Good as It's a Wonderful Life is, Capra made a number of films so similar, it is the hype that makes that one stand out. Not demeaning that one, I plan to watch it a couple times very soon. Likewise, Scrooge, starring Allistair Simm (this is my personal favorite movie of all time).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:05 am
I think I've watched "Singin' in the Rain" more times than any other film on the list. The interesting thing for me is that even if one knows the plot twist of "Vertigo" it's always fascinating how the movie leads into mystery. Not enough can be said about Jimmy Stewart turning in the best anti-hero (obsessed and very human) performance of all time and it's not hard to see why he was attracted to Kim Novak (Hitchcock coaxed out the best performance of her career). But it's the metaphysical quality of the story -- how fate deals out a tragic life outcome. Every scene in the film is exemplary of genius in directing. The scene in the redwoods is spooky and romantic at the same time and is the metaphysical core of the move (yes, even over the scenes in the mission).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:10 am
I am very attached to both films, LW.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 12:37 pm
I have a lot of favorites depending on my mood at the time. The one that is standing out for me today is Peter Sellers in his last film, "Being There"
0 Replies

Roger Huai

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:12 am
I dont know if the God father is a great one. But i really like it so much.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:48 am
Another good reference is Roger Ebert's Great Movies on the Chicago Sun-Times site:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=REVIEWS08

Welcome to A2K, Roger.

I think it is unequivocally confirmed that "The Godfather" is a great movie -- as mentioned above, it's the best movie of all time on the world film director's poll. It's Richard Roeper's personal choice and it's been released on DVD in several restorations. It was, BTW, the final film shot in Technicolor although with the filters used it's muted colors are appropriate for the film.
0 Replies