Leadfoot

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 06:19 am
@edgarblythe,
Even more so in short stories, less room for clutter.
Now I wanna read some of your stuff
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 06:31 am
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
Don't bother with the movie, it doesn't really tell the story and I barely smirked through the whole thing.

The original was abominable but I think the 2005 remake was entertaining. True, much was missing but the spirit of the thing was there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 07:30 am
I will be putting the corrected manuscript in a PDF today and transmitting a copy to the publisher. Just want to give it a last go over. They said they may want to do some editing on their own and I am fine with that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 11:33 am
I just had a lengthy conversation with my neighbor. We often chat over the fence. She told me how her father died in WII. He was a doctor on Wake Island, on his second tour of duty for the Imperial Navy. Three years after the men were returned from there and still no word from the government concerning his fate, they wrote him off as dead and got on with their lives. She told more family history, but I feel I should not put her personal information out. She is a great person to know and I respect her very much.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 01:29 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".... and I barely smirked through the whole thing
Thanks Binks for that report but I don't think I've sat thru a movie for some 15 years or so
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 01:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
You would have to do your own research...The entire enterprise failed, ...I have no facility for self promotion and no money...
Ed I'm impressed by your remarkable effort, much more determined than mine. I've been pub'd but only in mags

Did a little inventing but others more competent have achieved dozens of times more pat's

Quote:
Why not give them each a copy...that they could remember you by
In fact I did just that, tho it was only the ms. They might even have read it

Conclude, there's not much use in it all unless you enjoy doing it
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:21 am
About every two years, a fuel sensor quits working on the truck. But if you don't replace it, the sensor starts working again. Then it stops. It works 50% of the time. Once, I was forced to drive in deep water. The sensor immediately began working and did not stop for about two weeks. Well, I am about to take it in to be replaced, in a week or so. Last time I paid over $300. I had considered learning how to do it on my own, but the instructions began to discuss buying a special tool and climbing around under the truck and such nonsense. Much too advanced for me.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 11:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Ed I feel the same way about the complex project except once when we hired a plumber to fix an erupting water line as we had company waiting, and tho a 1/2-hr job, might not have time, thought I. An idiotic move, cost us $350

..the cost of plumber suggesting must be fewer or 'em these days 'cause nobody wants to be one. We have to change this, make it more attractive or interesting

ed, is a fuel sensor a gas gage
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 11:37 am
@dalehileman,
It's not a fuel guage, it's a sensor to the fuel system. When it works well I get fantastic mileage. Not so much when it fails.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 11:43 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
it's a sensor to the fuel system
Thanks kindly Ed but still in the dark
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 02:52 pm
Wrestled yesterday and today with Chrome's PDF converter. When I finally got it to work, it corrupted the pages. I used to know how to lock a document to keep that from happening, but now I am clueless.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too Ed
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
I understand that I am seeing a bunch of my old stuff corrupted, usually from my safari saves, which makes sense, since there is no apple support for my aged desktop, but some of the older stuff is well readable. Usually I can still find recipes, but once in a while now, gibberish wins.

The salvation for my computer is to toss it to whatever place lays old computers to rest, in some sort of wise manner, but in the meantime, I'm listening.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:31 pm
EB, I'm just listening, not trying to change this to being about my computer.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:43 pm
@ossobucotemp,
That's fine. We are a democracy here. Smile

My computer has always been slow and hard to manage.
By the time I got the PDF converter to working, today, it cut me off for twelve hours for exceeding my limit, although all I did was click on the button to try to get a response. According to the message, I had already created ten PDFs by then.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 07:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
I somewhat knew about pc's back to the early to the mid 2000's but have lost my savvy.
Will be listening.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 07:07 am
I used to design the damn things for a living, but Windows 10 got the best of me on many old applications I used (won't work anymore). I just had to buy new versions to work with it.
Wish I could go back to W7 - alas, Microsoft doesn't allow that after 30 days once you've used 10. It's a Chinese handcuff
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 12:35 pm
Wrestled yesterday and today with Chrome's PDF converter. When I finally got it to work, it corrupted the pages. I used to know how to lock a document to keep that from happening, but now I am clueless.

I have a theory which I will put to the test later in the day: The corrupted pages seemed possibly to mimic corrections I had made in the document as I made it to conform to the publisher's specifications. Word may have held on to memories as it was. So, if I copy the entire document into a new Word document maybe those memories will not be carried over.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 01:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
now I am clueless
Welcome Ed to The Garbly club
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 03:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hmm, how about using Kinko's or an equivalent type place; I don't know how much it costs to use their computers anymore. Local library?