edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:55 pm
@Roberta,
I am trying to ensure there will be a third. Most of my efforts not jelling yet.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I am trying to ensure there will be a third. Most of my efforts not jelling yet.

I am tinkering with the beginning of a story about a young woman getting herself trapped in an abusive marriage.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 12:30 am
I always liked Easter. It was a time for kids to enjoy themselves and have fun. A few times we took our kids to community egg hunts. None of them worked out. The kids always left empty-handed. The last time, there was a great field, divided according to age groups. The big kids went first. When they had swept the field marked for them, they simply stepped over the lines and took every egg out there. My kids never got on the field at all. Now that they all are gone, we don't do anything. My wife is planning to take a few decorations to the cemetery for her father. I will be putting an awning over a window on the back porch. But, Happy Easter, anyway.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 08:10 pm
As it turns out my new story will be science fiction. It's a concept I dreamed up a year or two ago, but set on a back burner. I don't like to repeat myself, so it's a good idea.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 05:26 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

As it turns out my new story will be science fiction. It's a concept I dreamed up a year or two ago, but set on a back burner. I don't like to repeat myself, so it's a good idea.

More fantasy than science, since I have no expertise in any scientific fields. Plot lines are in flux. I have a foreword and a description of my aliens, at this point. I can confide that they will come in contact with earthlings.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 07:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Here's an upvote for thr SciFi/fantasy approach.

Don't worry about being 'accurate' as long as you don't insult the intelligence of general readers. I consider science fiction or fantasy just a way to put humans in unique situations in order to explore their nature and its potential.

All ahead warp 5
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 09:21 am
@Leadfoot,
I have an outlandish concept for the origin, but one that can be accepted for the sake of a (hopefully) good story.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 07:15 pm
I hear Walmart using Joe Cocker "I get By With a Little Help From My Friends" on the TV. What ya gonna do?
I got some blocks to support the runners on the wheelchair ramp. Getting committed to actually putting it together. They are not hard to build. This is the fourth one for me. I don't always follow the same design. In fact I put them together as the mood takes me. This one will run twenty feet to a platform, dropping 1" per foot, and come back ten feet. I need it for moving heavy objects in and out.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 08:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
We have that in common as I used to design/specify the ramps. I don't now remember all the details - close, but no cigar re number of feet and grade, thou the numbers may come back.

My most interesting one was for a landscape I did for (I think it was) the first AIDS house in Los Angeles, or so it seemed. I was asked by an architect pal. That involved ramp design that took ease into consideration.

The architect pal was the lover of an architectural historian who had been part of a project I was the coordinator of. Through him, I got connected to some of the people trying to help folks in trouble in downtown LA. I didn't do much, stuff in my life and work going on, but I did design a landscape for one of those good people, a small house, no charge my lady. But through him I saw more and more.

Later, the architect, with whom I'd worked before a few times, hired me to design landscape for the LA Times building.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 08:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm interested in your design play.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 08:19 pm
@ossobucotemp,
This is me talking and not sure, but I think max slope would be 8.33.
Don't trust me, it's been a while, and besides, I think you probably are making this stuff less.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 08:24 pm
I built my first one for a day care in Houston. I don't recall the second. Third was against a mobile home. The guy in the mobile home told me where to end it. I knew he was wrong, but some folks you don't reason with. The result was too steep for his friend to push him up. I lifted the end of it and braced it off the concrete slab, then added more to the length. It sounds almost unworkable, but it was sturdy and served him well. The current project, after I set the blocks, I plan to build the long parts truss style. The deck will be treated deck boards, 1X6 by 3/4 I think they measure. Rails, of course.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 08:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
I googled a site that prescribed one inch drop per foot.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 08:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sorry for that large blank space - I could not get rid of it.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 09:12 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I looked it up. That is also 8.33
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 05:36 am
@edgarblythe,
The wood treatment nowdays sucks since they banned arsenic in it. I just helped Girlfriend replace a 3 year old pressure treated walkway deck that was falling through with 1" Cypress planks. Should last until we're both dead.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 05:54 am
@Leadfoot,
The appearance of one by four lumber at Lowe's is altered to look like 'treated' but the label plainly states it is not treated at all.

I support the changing of treated lumber, because it is in such wide use that the arsenic had to be creating a public hazard the equal of the hazard from lead in paint. The new treated has to be thoroughly dried and then painted and protected like regular wood.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 06:03 am
@edgarblythe,
Arsenic is in the environment naturally. High concentrations can cause health problems but there was virtually no evidence that arsenic from treated wood was causing them. Removing it from children's playground equipment might have been a good idea but the complete banning of it was idiotic and results in billions of dollars in unnecessary termite and wood rot damage every year.

YMMV
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 06:11 am
@Leadfoot,
People put treated wood everywhere. Here in Texas, everybody practically uses it for fencing; it encircles most everybody's back yard. Eating off of picnic tables made of it. Putting it in gardening timbers. I was calling for a change long before it happened.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 06:12 am
YMMV

This kind of thing just confuses me.