http://www.drudgereport.com/dnc.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,934 • Replies: 114
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:05 am
What was number one and how was it removed from the page?

Did they use a dot-matrix printer to make it? must be the Democrats.

Is the language stunted and without verve? Wait a minute.

Oh, I see.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:09 am
I think I am finally beginning to recognize satire?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:14 am
Well, so far I guess the answer is "no", they can't.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:20 am
McG- Are you referring to this?

Quote:
Democrats got caught with their election playbook open Thursday when a leaked page was published urging operatives to lodge a "pre-emptive strike" of claiming voter intimidation, whether it's true or not.

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/election/article/0,1299,DRMN_36_3256347,00.html
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:21 am
What's the question?

Have you ever worked on a campaign? It called be ready for the dirty stuff, but, in reality, the Dems are never ready enough.

Ask John McCain.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:27 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quote:
Democrats got caught with their election playbook open Thursday when a leaked page was published urging operatives to lodge a "pre-emptive strike" of claiming voter intimidation, whether it's true or not.

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/election/article/0,1299,DRMN_36_3256347,00.html

Yeah, that's what I am referring too.

Is this ok with you guys?! I'm just not hearing the outrage I know I would it this was a Republican playbook...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:39 am
No playbook just the way of doing bid'ness.

Oct 15 NYT
Block the Vote
By PAUL KRUGMAN
Earlier this week former employees of Sproul & Associates (operating under the name Voters Outreach of America), a firm hired by the Republican National Committee to register voters, told a Nevada TV station that their supervisors systematically tore up Democratic registrations.

The accusations are backed by physical evidence and appear credible. Officials have begun a criminal investigation into reports of similar actions by Sproul in Oregon.

Republicans claim, of course, that they did nothing wrong - and that besides, Democrats do it, too. But there haven't been any comparably credible accusations against Democratic voter-registration organizations. And there is a pattern of Republican efforts to disenfranchise Democrats, by any means possible.

Some of these, like the actions reported in Nevada, involve dirty tricks. For example, in 2002 the Republican Party in New Hampshire hired an Idaho company to paralyze Democratic get-out-the-vote efforts by jamming the party's phone banks.

But many efforts involve the abuse of power. For example, Ohio's secretary of state, a Republican, tried to use an archaic rule about paper quality to invalidate thousands of new, heavily Democratic registrations.

That attempt failed. But in Wisconsin, a Republican county executive insists that this year, when everyone expects a record turnout, Milwaukee will receive fewer ballots than it got in 2000 or 2002 - a recipe for chaos at polling places serving urban, mainly Democratic voters.

And Florida is the site of naked efforts to suppress Democratic votes, and the votes of blacks in particular.

Florida's secretary of state recently ruled that voter registrations would be deemed incomplete if those registering failed to check a box affirming their citizenship, even if they had signed an oath saying the same thing elsewhere on the form. Many counties are, sensibly, ignoring this ruling, but it's apparent that some officials have both used this rule and other technicalities to reject applications as incomplete, and delayed notifying would-be voters of problems with their applications until it was too late.

Whose applications get rejected? A Washington Post examination of rejected applications in Duval County found three times as many were from Democrats, compared with Republicans. It also found a strong tilt toward rejection of blacks' registrations.

The case of Florida's felon list - used by state officials, as in 2000, to try to wrongly disenfranchise thousands of blacks - has been widely reported. Less widely reported has been overwhelming evidence that the errors were deliberate.

In an article coming next week in Harper's, Greg Palast, who originally reported the story of the 2000 felon list, reveals that few of those wrongly purged from the voting rolls in 2000 are back on the voter lists. State officials have imposed Kafkaesque hurdles for voters trying to get back on the rolls. Depending on the county, those attempting to get their votes back have been required to seek clemency for crimes committed by others, or to go through quasi-judicial proceedings to prove that they are not felons with similar names.

And officials appear to be doing their best to make voting difficult for those blacks who do manage to register. Florida law requires local election officials to provide polling places where voters can cast early ballots. Duval County is providing only one such location, when other counties with similar voting populations are providing multiple sites. And in Duval and other counties the early voting sites are miles away from precincts with black majorities.

Next week, I'll address the question of whether the votes of Floridians with the wrong color skin will be fully counted if they are cast. Mr. Palast notes that in the 2000 election, almost 180,000 Florida votes were rejected because they were either blank or contained overvotes. Demographers from the U.S. Civil Rights Commission estimate that 54 percent of the spoiled ballots were cast by blacks. And there's strong evidence that this spoilage didn't reflect voters' incompetence: it was caused mainly by defective voting machines and may also reflect deliberate vote-tampering.

The important point to realize is that these abuses aren't aberrations. They're the inevitable result of a Republican Party culture in which dirty tricks that distort the vote are rewarded, not punished. It's a culture that will persist until voters - whose will still does count, if expressed strongly enough - hold that party accountable.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:52 am
Your changing the subject Joe. There are already threads about that. Let's try to keep our focus on THIS issue for awhile, huh?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:04 am
Quote:
But Democrats, who verified as authentic the page from a playbook called "Colorado Election Day Manual: A detailed guide to voting in Colorado," said they must be pro-active to assure that minorities and all others are not scared away from the polls.

Sue Casey, head of the Kerry-Edwards Colorado campaign, said the Republicans are also happy to plant a negative story to detract from what reporters should be writing about.

"Look what we're talking about today instead of the fact that George Bush lost three debates and is fading, instead of not having health care, instead of having a disaster in Iraq," she said.

The manual, at www.drudgereport.com, instructs operatives to hunt for Republican scare tactics that could keep voters from the polls. Democrats have claimed for decades that the GOP does that because low voter turnouts generally help Republican candidates.

"If no signs of intimidation techniques have emerged yet, launch a pre-emptive strike," rule No. 2 says.

Then, the manual says the operatives should issue a press release "reviewing Republican tactics used in your area or state." They should also quote "party/minority/civil rights leadership as denouncing tactics that discourage people from voting."

Indeed, a press release from the Colorado Democrats on Wednesday looked straight out of the playbook.

After Secretary of State Donetta Davidson and Gov. Bill Owens, both Republicans, said anyone caught defrauding the voter registration process would be prosecuted, the Democrats shot out a statement decrying Davidson's and Owens' remarks as "voter intimidation."

The release also quoted two minority elected officials: Rick Garcia and Michael Hancock, both city councilmen. But Casey said she first saw the playbook on Thursday morning, the day after they had issued the press release.

"The first time I saw it was today after reporters called. We sort of looked at each other and said 'Gee, we did all the right things,' " she said.

But Casey also defended what she had said in the Wednesday statement, saying Owens and Davidson sent a message to voters that said, "be careful . . . If you are found ineligible you won't vote."

The Democrats message is much different, Casey said.

"We believe in democracy," she said. "We believe every person who is eligible should be able to vote. We think we should send the message: be confident. If you're eligible, go vote."

Late Thursday, Owens dismissed Casey's charge, telling a group of President Bush backers at a gathering at the Denver Diner that Casey was simply playing by the Democratic playbook. He said he's highly concerned about news reports about people registering to vote dozens of times.

"We're not trying to intimidate anybody," Owens said. "I'm encouraging Coloradoans to go to the polls. I want it to be a fair and honest vote, not skewed by somebody who registered 35 times."

What the document says

A page from the Democrats' "Colorado Election Day Manual: A detailed guide to voting in Colorado" appeared on the Drudge Report.

• Chapter 2 says: "If no signs of intimidation techniques have emerged yet, launch a pre-emptive strike."

• Operatives are directed to issue a news release "reviewing Republican tactics used in your area or state."

[not make any up but review republican tactics used in the past]

• They should also quote "party/minority/ civil rights leadership as denouncing tactics that discourage people from voting."

Source: Drudgereport.Com

I am wary about reading anything with source being the drudge report.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:20 am
Why does Drudge bother you so? Can you give an example of when he has been wrong?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:27 am
I think this means that this election will be every bit as nasty as the last one.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:33 am
Am I confused? What's the issue here? That the Democrats are organizing? What the problem? The page you printed clearly shows a political group readying itself for the dirty tactics that have been the modus operandi of those opposing it. What are they supposed to do, roll over?

Please, what are we, the Democrats, supposed to explain about this?

Joe
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:37 am
Quote:

Quote:

Where does it say "whether it's true or not" , not on the page Mc posted. Looks to like someone at the Rocky Mountain News might be trying to infer something. (Liberal media. Razz )
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Where does it say "whether it's true or not" , not on the page Mc posted. Looks to like someone at the Rocky Mountain News might be trying to infer something. (Liberal media. Razz )

"If no signs of intimidation techniques have emerged yet, launch a pre-emptive strike,"
0 Replies

astromouse

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
Kinda like the kerry Propaganda thread that you mantain.
How would the republicans explain it?

Stop whining just because people are using your same tactics,
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:51 am
Whining? Please. Bringing up an important issue is hardly whining.

I can't believe that the Dem's are willing to let an action like this by the DNC slide past.
0 Replies

astromouse

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:57 am
Important Issue?

Mommy Mommy!! The democrats are planning to be mean to me!!!!!

Crybaby.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:10 am
astromouse wrote:
Important Issue?

Mommy Mommy!! The democrats are planning to be mean to me!!!!!

Crybaby.

Heh. Glad to see they let computers in the grade schools. Maybe you should get back to the classwork instead of writting in an adult forum. Some day you will appreciate the education you get.
0 Replies

astromouse

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:17 am
McGentrix wrote:

http://xs.to/pics/04105/Crybaby.jpg
0 Replies