Has anyone met their Significant other online?

Panama

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:36 pm
Has anyone met their Significant other online?

I am just wondering. I did a while ago, and we are married and doing great. Lots of people look down on online dating and matching sites, so did I, but I met my husband in a chat room and things have been great since.

Just wondering about your thoughts...Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,888 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:40 pm
My neighbor met her husband online......and they are happy as clams! Very Happy
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:19 pm
The problem with online dating occurs when you talk to someone too much online before meeting them. Then you already think you know them and you already have some kind of a quasi-relationship...and when you meet them all of a sudden you have to go back to the initial meeting phase and realize you don't really know them at all. I've tried it...I'm wary of it now...I'd rather just meet people in real life, and if I did meet them online I would make sure to make contact early on before getting to "know" them to well and building up a false personality.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:27 pm
Stuh

Thanks for sharing your experience. I used to work in a building that had twelve thousand people so I never had to look far to meet someone, I now work at home and don't meet that many people. On-line dating seems almost like forced dating, or un-natural, I would like to have a more positive view point than this.
Posting my picture seems like I'm selling myself, I know this isn't a positive way of looking at it but I can't help it.
One more thing, has anyone had a long distance relationship? Pros and cons, if you have time.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:29 pm
I met my woman on line and found the exact opposite that stuh found. We talked for 2 years before we met and I think both of us were pleased that the first physical impressions had lost their importance. I never asked for a photo, her inner beauty outshone any blemishes I might have found on the outside.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:47 pm
I met my husband online and my sister met her fiance online too. We are all very happy.

I have to admit that my parents think we met at an art museum...I only told my parents that little white lie because I did not think that would be able to grasp the whole internet dating concept. (I may have underestimated them.)
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:13 pm
I'm so apprehensive, I can't get rid of it. Yuk for me!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:15 pm
(panzade's such a sweetheart... :-))
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:18 pm
Stop it soz, Kicky'll start pickin on me again. Embarrassed
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:26 pm
Pan

Soz and I will protect you!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:28 pm
Pssst

See that Kicky, that's how you ingratiate yo'self with the wimmen folks.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:32 pm
panzade wrote:
Pssst

See that Kicky, that's how you ingratiate yo'self with the wimmen folks.

Geez, us wimmin folk are easy Confused
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
That wasn't me. Setanta took over my PC
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 02:45 pm
panzade wrote:
I met my woman on line and found the exact opposite that stuh found. We talked for 2 years before we met and I think both of us were pleased that the first physical impressions had lost their importance. I never asked for a photo, her inner beauty outshone any blemishes I might have found on the outside.

You know, I was going to slam you for this pathetic display of sensitivity and femininity, but I'm letting you off the hook, because I have to believe that you don't mean a word of it, and just wrote this to get the babes to fawn all over you. And it worked. Nice job.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 04:01 pm
Kicky

Soz and I are here to defend Pan if necessary, don't make me put you in a 'Head' lock :-)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 04:35 pm
What?! I was commending him for his clever tactics! :wink:
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:54 pm
My online dating experiences also occured when I was much younger, and very inexperienced. I think it's silly now because I would talk to the girl at least an hour a day for probably a year and a half and strangely I think we were both satisfied with it emotionally...but when I finally met her it was just blah, somehow we had both managed to only see the parts of each other that we wanted to see when it was just online, but face to face you really need to be able to deal with the WHOLE person...our friendship ended there and then, and I think I learned a valuable lesson.

Another thing is that looks may be more important to you than you realize...it's easy to not notice someones looks and really get attached to their personality, only to find that you feel grossed out to kiss them. And if that's the case, it's not going to do any good to lie to the both of you and say it's alright to keep seeing each other.

But hey, it obviously can work out for some people.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:06 pm
panzade wrote:
That wasn't me. Setanta took over my PC

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I laughed so hard it woke up Setanta AND the dogs!
0 Replies

stoneylee

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 05:43 pm
on-line
I met my husband on-line too, but we only spoke on-line maybe twice or three times before meeting in person. I'd say we have a pretty okay relationship. Now he won't let me IM anyone else though *go figure*.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 12:55 am
I also met my future husband online about two and a half years ago. It was not through an online dating service nor was it in a chatroom. We were playing a very old, somewhat obscure game from way back in the old bbs days. He had asked to meet in person way back then, but I said no at the time. We were both involved in other relationships and it didn't feel right....He left the game for about a year and during that time each of our respective relationships had ended though neither of us knew that as we had not stayed in touch at all. I was not even really playing that game anymore, but just logging on about once a week so my character didn't get deleted...I don't know why I did that....

One day when I logged on, I saw his character name much to my surprise. Nothing was said by either of us for several days and then I got the courage to ask him why he had come back. He said, "I came back looking for you." Everything just clicked...we chatted, we talked on the phone, we met. Everything that I was ready for in life, I saw in him.

Next year we are getting married, something I was very adamantly opposed to since my divorce 10 years ago. I guess one should never say never as I am happier than I can truly ever remember being before.

And right now it is still long distance. I think the key to surviving the long distance separation anxiety is frequent visits, lots and lots of communication. We talk on the phone every day. He is my morning wake up ray of sunshine and my every evening tuck in of sweet dreams and I love you's. We have talked for hours at times and never ran out of things to say. One of the cutest days I "spent" with him was when we went to his state fair. He called me when he got there and we talked until he left. I saw all of the "sites, the expo's, the displays, the vendors" you name it.....vicariously through him. It was wonderful! Very Happy
0 Replies