Oops, I did it again.....

McTag

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 03:15 pm
Congrats Gautam, from me and FionaB.

And never forget, no matter how high you rise, you will always be able to buy me a drink.

McTag
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 03:52 pm
hot damn - wow. congrats!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 03:54 pm
He can buy your drinks FROM London!!!

Yay Guatam!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:24 pm
Gautam
Wow!!! That is just beyond fantastic!!! I'm soooooo happy for you!!! You deserve this and the envy I have is unreal :-D
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:51 pm
Congratulations. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:20 am
Thank you so much guyz !! It is slowly sinking in - but I am still walking arnd in a daze !!

I caused serious chaos in my management team in my current company when I told them this news. They don't want me to leave, but have expressed their inability to match the offer. And to be fair to them, they really can't raise my salary by more than 50%.

I will slowly start working on the transtion, it will probably take abt 5-6 weeks, so I will probably be starting in the new job during early December or so.

And I still don't have any applications for a live in bf in my inbox Laughing
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:23 am
Well, my mate Mark was in London just recently - you didn't check the right inbox!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:47 am
I'm scared !! What if this doesn't work out ?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 02:04 am
Gautam wrote:
I'm scared !! What if this doesn't work out ?

It will!

(Otherwise, might be, you'll get soon another offer for a free drink by a headhunter ....)
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:38 am
G, Walter is right. Think positively! But also confront your fears.

When I'm worried about something, I put myself though a worst-case (but realistic) scenario and visualize what would happen if things didn't work out. That helps me to confront my fears and deal with them.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:34 am
When I do the worst-case scenario it scares me even more....
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
I understand. See, my boss has made it clear that the doors of my current company are closed for me forever if I leave - which is understandable.

At 33 yrs of age, I am pricing myself out of the market at the salary which is being offered. Stepping down in terms of money and position is not easy.

So if things do go belly up, what then ?

At one hand, there is a fear of unknown. On the other hand, it is position, power, money.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:03 am
Gautam - You'll do just fine. I understand your concerns, but I really think you are working yourself up over nothing. Do you really think these guys don't know what they are doing? Do you not trust their judgement? Would they make you that kind of offer if you weren't worth it? They are pro's at this, right? So relax.

You aren't allowing yourself to admit how great you are at what you do. It's okay.

Repeat after me:

I deserve to be on the 16th floor.

I deserve to be on the 16th floor.

I deserve to be on the... heck, I'll take the 17th floor.

Congratulations!!! I'm applauding wildly for you!
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:27 am
G, your concerns are valid and have to be addressed. "So if things do go belly up, what then?" is not a rhetorical question. Stepping down is, as you say, not easy. Think this all the way through. How would you go about handling it? Only you can answer that.

Once you have a clear idea of the consequences, then you can assess the risk/reward. Some folks are more risk-averse than others. In your case, you sound to me like a guy who could say "it was too good an opportunity not to take a chance" and mean it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 11:09 am
Look at it this way, Gautam.

Which decision would be easier to live with in the long run...

1. Grabbing the offer, and if it doesn't last, using that experience to get another job...

OR

2. Staying where you are and always knowing you could've had more.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 11:14 am
I hope this means you are buying drinks next time we get together....and at an expensive bar.

Conga-rats-ulations, Gautam...we knew you could do it.

Stay away from the windows! :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:59 pm
Hold your dominion--your new dominion.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 02:20 am
Gautam

Shocked What amazing news! The interview, the offer & hey presto! ... A new, seriously important position, with a huge salary to match! Stunning! You're rich & powerful! Surprised Congratulations, but don't neglect your spiritual & emotional sides, will you? :wink:
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 04:49 am
I have made up my mind and have accepted the position. Have signed the contract and sent it to my new company.

Will resign from my current company by today evening - still trying to muster up enough courage to write my resignation.....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 05:10 am
Here I am offering congratulations a bit late. I believe you are destined for success no matter where you roam.
0 Replies