I Like Red No Matter What Color it is!

Letty

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:25 am
Hey, guys and gals of A2K, is this for real?

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/package.jsp?name=fte/womencolor/womencolor&floc=wn-np
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,845 • Replies: 41
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:32 am
That is really interesting, Letty.

I'm reminded of the scene in "Lost In The Translation" where he opens the envelope of color samples and finds his wife's note that she prefers the burgandy.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:11 am
You read my mind, boomer. I prefer burgandy, but I didn't see Lost in Translation.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:13 am
oops, better make that burgundy..............................................
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:20 am
It's funny. I have very different emotional reactions to different shades of red. Letty, you know that I am not a redhead, but my brain believes that I am. I am comfortable with orange-reds, but blue-reds turn me completely off!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:59 am
That's not funny, Phoenix, it's normal. There has been a lot of research done on color perception. Different shades of a color do, in fact, produce differing physical, as well as emotional, reactions. Heart & respiration rates vary greatly if one is placed in a cool blue room vs. a bright orange one. This knowledge has been used in various applications. For instance, fast food restaurants usually decorate in shades of yellow-orange-red to speed up customers' mealtimes and allow for faster turnover of tables. Hospitals often decorate waiting rooms in cool colors to encourage anxious relatives to calm down, while they use warm, bright colors in ICUs where critical patients need a stimulus. Interesting stuff...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:01 pm
Also the green room... green is supposed to be one of the most calming colors.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:01 pm
It is strange, Phoenix. I never liked red cars, and I'm not certain why? I owned one red dress when I sang, but it was very plain. I'm reminded of Scarlett O'Hara who wore that red dress to act the part that the community had placed on her. Scarlett and red...........................
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:20 pm
Soz and Eva, I use only muted shades of green in my home. that and off white. I'm not certain why; it's soothing.

I wonder if any men will come and tell us about the color thing?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm
Quote:
I never liked red cars

One of the reasons that I don't like red cars either, is because I perceive them as too visible. (I call them, "Hello, Officer"- red Laughing ) I have always bought cars in very nondescript colors.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:13 pm
Green is the color of life (grass & trees), Letty...calming yet optomistic.

Four out of every five men claim blue as their favorite color. But a lot of that has to do with their perception that they are "supposed" to like blue. In objective color tests, they often choose other colors over blue. Nevertheless, whenever I've had to do a presentation before a group of men, I always put it on a blue board or in a blue folder. They automatically accept it, thinking it must be "right."
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:22 pm
I once did a study for my pastor on colors..as a deacon in church ..most of us were allergic to plain old white...(reminds me of death) it didn't change his mind..but was interesting how colors are perceived..i love reds...but fuscia drives me nuts..

colors are also used to enhance real estate..yellow houses sell well and red doors make the house pop.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:00 pm
Love that, Phoenix. Sheeeeze. I'm not feeling too well today. Lemme go check my eyes. If they're red, I'm in trouble. Razz

willow, that red door thing is interesting. According to one of my young friends who is in to some kind of meditation, red doors protect the household. Wish I could remember the name of the religion. She is quite an artist.

Eva, blue for guys in suits, huh. That's odd, because all my folders are blue.

and as for the greens and whites. Yawl ever notice that doctors' no longer wear whites? Their scrubs are always green. There is something to this color business.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
My study and my studio are adjoining. The studio walls are light green with a green tile floor with lots of light (two small skylights, a large bay window and French doors). One large built-in storage cabinet is mirrored to give the illusion of greater size. I'm very comfortable working there. I love its "outdoor" brightness. But the very "indoors" looking study is all dark red with wooden floor, dark full-wall book shelf, ceiling to floor, a small octogonal "persian" rug under small round table, dark desk, a long victorian-style table for boos, lamps and flowers. The paintings are traditional in "goldish" frames. My intent was to create a Victorian get-a-way. It looks very 19th century which matches my fantasy world perfectly. Indeed, it is so comfortable emotionally that I call it my womb room. So, I am enjoying both red and green walls, for different activities and moods.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:29 pm
Hey, JL. Thanks for responding. Your womb room (love that) sounds fantastic, and I'm a Victorian freak myself....but do you see different shades of red as opposed to just RED RED? The link that I posted seemed to indicate that men didn't see varying shades; however, being an artist, I thought that you might have a different eye.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:30 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
I never liked red cars

One of the reasons that I don't like red cars either, is because I perceive them as too visible.
(I call them, "Hello, Officer"- red Laughing ) I have always bought cars in very nondescript colors.
also known as "arrest-me red"...

what do you see, below?

http://www.mylittleworld.co.uk/acatalog/Four_Shades_of_Red_Carpet.jpg

i see a solid red square... [size=7]just kiddin'![/size]
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:33 pm
Region, you are funny. My eyes must be fine, cause I saw that tiny little print. Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:53 pm
Twenty years of watching couples pick out paint colors tells me everything. You know that option on your scanner that produces 'millions of colors'?? that's for the women of the world.

Men see the same amount of colors contained in the Crayola Colors Box of Eight -- Black, Orange, Red, Blue, Purple, Green, Yellow, White.
That's it.

Men look at the tower of paint colors and start to swoon, women swoon too, but it's because they are so excited at being able to choose between Adobe Mint (a light green) and Birch Leaf (another light green), men swoon because they know they are going to have to stand there for the next hour and pick between a light green and another light green.

We, that is all men, do not know which beige goes better with the Cape Cod Morning (a kind of pink) we just know that if we can get to the ice pick section our troubles will be over.

And on another subject:
We also do not know if those shoes (black, strapless, open toe) go better with your outfit then those other shoes (black, with a strap), we don't know, we just point.

Thanks for asking.

Oh, and if your husband helps out with your fashion choices and loves to go pick out paint colors with you, he does it because he loves you, not because he knows anything or see the difference between Pelican Wing (beige) and Indian Sand (darker beige).

Joe
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:55 pm
Red is normally my favorite color, except in cars and housepaint.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 03:03 pm
Joe, that was one helluva observation, and a sweet one, as well. sounds to me that you have the entire spectrum covered.

edgar, that is really odd that you don't like red cars. Maybe you and Phoenix have the same idea in mind.

Well, folks, back later. Things to do.

From Letty with love.
0 Replies