No Guns Allowed

McGentrix

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:05 am
If that's how you want to be remembered then that's fine. Not too many high school kids would wan that kind of photo in their yearbooks though.

What you guys are describing can be defined as "offensive" where as what this boy is doing really can't.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:09 am
Quote:
What you guys are describing can be defined as "offensive" where as what this boy is doing really can't.

And I guess you are the expert on what is offensive to some people and what isn't offensive to others?

You honestly don't think there are high school kids who would be extremely bothered having a classmate pose with a gun, regardless of who he is or how honorable his character may be?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:11 am
It's not about what one person considers offensive or not, is the point.

Noone is saying the gun the kid is holding is 'offensive.' It's not. It's just a gun. But, guns have no place in schools, period, and that includes pictures.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:29 am
But what others have mentioned "holding a burning flag, a swastika, hookers" is easily definable as offensive.

The gun is not in school, a picture of him holding a gun is.

This slippery slope argument would never work, never has, never will. It's fun to make, but silly. Especially in this context. If they ban pictures of girls in cheerleader outfits, all sports paraphenalia, impose school uniforms and everyone is in the same pose, then I could see them not wanting to use his picture.

As it is, they seem to have reached a compromise though and we are, as they say, pissing in the wind over this.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:44 pm
msolga wrote:
I'm not going going to comment further. Been down that road here before. Rolling Eyes

My answer is no as well and I'll second Olga's response.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:11 pm
Montana wrote:
msolga wrote:
I'm not going going to comment further. Been down that road here before. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to have an open chat forum where people refuse to be open and chat.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:16 pm
I just don't see any harm in the picture...the kid looks like f*#king Opie for Pete's sake and skeet shooting is just a sport.......PC run wild....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:17 pm
McGentrix wrote:
But what others have mentioned "holding a burning flag, a swastika, hookers" is easily definable as offensive.

Easily definable by whom, McG? I know you're being sincere when you write this, but this is just the kind of thinking that makes me chuckle when I hear liberals accused of being PC. As if conservatives are open-minded thinkers.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:22 pm
Easily definable by community standards. Get the community together, any random community in the United States and ask them if they find arbitrarily burning the flag and swastikas offensive. Thats how and who.

I don't think either side is too open minded about any issue, but their are limits to each, and besides, I hardly dare to speak for anyone other than myself.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:25 pm
Montana and msolga don't want to re hash it. They didn't say they wanted no one to discuss it,did they?
You and bear can do a death match with cyclo and dookie
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:06 pm
For me the issue wasn't so much the concept of gun vs no gun, but rather an arbitrary decision on the part of somebody that it wouldn't be 'proper' to have it in a HS yearbook. Cyclop offered one solution...every picture is a head shot and nobody can use any background or props of any kind. Okay that's pretty PC, but it is also really boring. I love the yearbooks where the seniors are all in natural settings or using props that reflect their personalities and/or interests.

So unless no props/background of any kind is allowed in the photos, I do object for somebody to disallow a shotgun used in a legal sport. If this is the kid's greatest talent and the one thing from his senior year he is most proud of, I personally think it should be allowed. There is a world of difference between the shotgun that most of the world does not see as offensive (some in present company excepted) and in using a burning flag or swastika or anything else that the vast majority of the community would consider offensive.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:34 am
panzade wrote:
Montana and msolga don't want to re hash it. They didn't say they wanted no one to discuss it,did they?
You and bear can do a death match with cyclo and dookie

Yes, exactly! Thanks for pointing that out Panzade ;-)

McG
Bite me!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:38 am
McGentrix wrote:
Montana wrote:
msolga wrote:

Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to have an open chat forum where people refuse to be open and chat.

By the way, this is not a "chat" forum!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:13 am
Montana wrote:
McGBite me!

damn!! you are just so cool! awh think ah reeeely doooo luvv yoo! Laughing
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:24 am
Re: No Guns Allowed
Foxfyre wrote:
http://images.ibsys.com/2004/1013/3804959.jpg Is political correctness really getting out of hand?

p.c. has always been out of control. but this kid is just a dork.

hello?? learn how to handle a firearm. that piece is supposed to "cradled", broken, with the snout hanging downward to the ground.

the way he has it, he'll be lucky if he doesn't blow his 'nads off.

jesus, mary and joseph. anything for a confrontation on rights by the conservatives these days.

bet ya wouldn't be so rights intensive if he had one of those big 3 foot bongs hoisted over his shoulder.

even if nobody was ever killed by one...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:37 am
Shocked They make three foot bongs?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:48 am
panzade wrote:
Shocked They make three foot bongs?

yeah!!! i wouldn't have believed it humanly possible but for seeing the kid next door grasping one like a big, happy joy stick!

i'm a meat and potatos kinda freak myself. papers, pipe or a crumpled beer can in a pinch. but jeez, that thing made me stand up and take notice of his mojo.

with a thing like that you could listen to dark side of the moon without firing up the stereo.................

uh... what??? Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:02 am
Hahaha!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:43 am
I just want to say one thing, & not about guns! Rolling Eyes I get very, very tired of certain arguments/points of view being derisively described as "PC" by people with a different view.
That's all I wanted to say. Good night.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:46 am
I just want to say one thing, & not about guns! Rolling Eyes I get very, very tired of certain arguments/points of view being derisively described as "PC" by people with a different view & agenda. It's getting boring.
That's all I wanted to say. Good night.
0 Replies