More bush Contradictions

Joe Republican

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:26 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the price of gas was never supposd to go down, the profit to a select few in the bushinc club was supposed to go up.....mission accomplished.....
How much of the oil being sold on the market right now is owned by Bushs "friends"?

The idea isn't in the selling of the oil, it's in the procurement, manufacturing and refinement of the oil. The money is in the form of US taxpayer funded money to large republican firms. It comes in the form on no-bid contracts. A tax payer giveaway to these companies, it's direct profiteering on the war by companies with a financial investment in the RNC. Doesn't this even remotely bother you? Doesn't this even stir your intrest in looking further into the matter?

Halliburton, Bechtel and others are companies who directly profited off the war. For example, Halliburton employees are making upwards of $10K a month, while our soldiers are making under 2K. There is something extremely wrong with this picture.

The stock of Halliburton has gone up over 200% in the past year, this money and stock increase is DIRECTLY from the American taxpayer. Look at the top % companies on profit margin and you'll find oil at the top right now. Which leads directly to the question, if they aren't porking the consumer, then how are they able to maintain such a high profit margin?

The image below is the stock preformance of Haliburton from the time of the vote on Iraq until now. Pretty big gain in stock, 14 to 35, a 250% increase over two years, pretty hard to do considering the dow has decreased during that span. Rolling Eyes
http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/2y/h/hal.gif
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 04:00 pm
Quote:
The idea isn't in the selling of the oil, it's in the procurement, manufacturing and refinement of the oil. The money is in the form of US taxpayer funded money to large republican firms.

Do these "republician firms" include regular oil companies? Companies like Exxon/Mobil, Shell and Phillips 66? These are the oil companies that work the oil business around the world. Have these companies been gaining in profits? I think to look at just Halliburton is being disingenuous. Sure Halliburton has made money but isn't that the point. I know none of you like the truth about the no bid contracts but here is the truth. There was a bidding process early when Bush got into office. This bidding process was to have a contractor on hand to perform short notice jobs without having to wait for many months to fulfill contracts on jobs that would be needed now. Iraq and Afghanistan troop support for the soldiers is a perfect example of this. When the troops took up posts across Iraq and Afghanistan, they needed barracks, chow halls and personal facilities to handle business. If the govt were to wait for these services to be fulfilled by companies bidding for the process, they would have been waiting for several months just for the contract to be approved, let alone the companies to get into the area and supply said services. Would you have had the troops wait for some type of comfort, wait to shower and even have decent meals? During a time of war, someone is always going to profit, so to me it doesn't matter who gets the money, because it is always going to be someone.

Quote:
The money is in the form of US taxpayer funded money to large republican firms. It comes in the form on no-bid contracts. A tax payer giveaway to these companies, it's direct profiteering on the war by companies with a financial investment in the RNC. Doesn't this even remotely bother you? Doesn't this even stir your intrest in looking further into the matter?

No it doesn't bother me, because I know someone is going to make money, and I would rather it be an American company and American workers then a foreign company and foreign workers. Is there a single company in the US that isn't attached at the hip to some political party? Most if not all companies contribute to a political party and people running for office. Some contribute more to others but more often then not, they all contribute to everyone. I'm sure if you look through Halliburton's records, you will find that they paid money into both parties not just the RNC.

Quote:
Halliburton, Bechtel and others are companies who directly profited off the war. For example, Halliburton employees are making upwards of $10K a month, while our soldiers are making under 2K. There is something extremely wrong with this picture.

The difference between Halliburton employees and soldiers, is that you don't go into the military because of the money. If you did then you are delusional. Soldiers don't have a choice of where and when they will be stationed somewhere, and they know this in advance. Civilian employees are going to work in Iraq by choice, and they are indeed working in a very dangerous place with little to no protection while they work. They are not allowed to be armed and there for are in much bigger danger. When was the last time you heard about a soldier being kidnapped while working? You don't, because soldiers are told to not travel alone and to do so is violation of orders. Civilians are not under these same orders. I don't have an issue with civilian employees making that much money and neither should you. If the US military paid soldiers the same amount as their civilian counter parts did, you would have a complaint about that because of how much money the govt spent on the military. Most of you already complain that the US spends too much on the military, can you imagine how much they would have to increase the budget to provide that type of pay. The current % of military spending is about 3%, in order to compete with civilian pay we would have to increase spending by at least double. You won't like that, because you already think the military budget is already too high according to people such as yourself.

Quote:
The stock of Halliburton has gone up over 200% in the past year, this money and stock increase is DIRECTLY from the American taxpayer. Look at the top % companies on profit margin and you'll find oil at the top right now.

Oil has just about always been on the high end of profit making because it is such a necessary commodity. I don't care who makes the money, if you want the companies to make less money then demand for drilling in places like ANWR where the companies will have to spend their own money to procure oil instead of from foreign sources. If we were to drop our dependence on foreign oil supplies and increase our own procurement then prices would drop, because we wouldn't be dependent on how much oil someone else is willing to provide and how fast they are willing to provide it. With oil currently at a record high do to outside factors we could lower the price by drilling, refining and using our own supplies.

Quote:
Which leads directly to the question, if they aren't porking the consumer, then how are they able to maintain such a high profit margin?

Companies are in the business of making money and if their price to produce goes up, then so is the consumer's price to consume. I'm not happy with how high gas prices are, but there are reasons why the price has gone up. Follow the news on this one and you will see why.

Quote:
The image below is the stock preformance of Haliburton from the time of the vote on Iraq until now. Pretty big gain in stock, 14 to 35, a 250% increase over two years, pretty hard to do considering the dow has decreased during that span.

You are wrong on part of that, the DOW has increased in the last year plus. Before the war the Stock market was down to about 7,000 and in that time has gone up to about 10,000 depending on what is going on. Now with the increase in oil prices, the market has gone down. I would say an increase of almost 3,000 points is pretty good, and reflects how well the economy has done in that same amount of time.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 04:16 pm
finn wrote
Quote:
Embryonic stem cell research cannot even be imagined without the deliberate and expressed intent to sacrifice an innocent.

What innocent is that. Those in fertility clinics that are destined for the garbage bin.

That is just another reason to get rid of that Moron in the oval office.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 04:19 pm
At Thursday's debate President Bush said most of his tax cuts "went to low- and middle-income Americans."[1] That statement is flatly false.

An analysis by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities found that, in 2004, the top 20 percent of earners received 69.8% of the tax cuts enacted by President Bush.[2] While the middle 20 percent of earners received an average tax cut of $647, the top 20 percent received an average tax cut of $5,055.[3] As a result, those in the middle class are paying a greater share of the federal taxes today than they were four years ago.[4]

Sources:

1. "Transcript of Debate Between Bush and Kerry, With Domestic Policy the Topic," New York Times, 10/13/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=62975.
2. "Tax Returns: A Comprehensive Assessment of the Bush Administration Tax Cuts," Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, 04/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=62976.
3. Ibid, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=62976.
4. "Tax Cuts Go Mostly to the Rich," OMB Watch, 2004, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=62977.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:37 pm
au1929 wrote:
At Thursday's debate President Bush said most of his tax cuts "went to low- and middle-income Americans."[1] That statement is flatly false.

An analysis by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities found that, in 2004, the top 20 percent of earners received 69.8% of the tax cuts enacted by President Bush.[2] While the middle 20 percent of earners received an average tax cut of $647, the top 20 percent received an average tax cut of $5,055.[3] As a result, those in the middle class are paying a greater share of the federal taxes today than they were four years ago.[4]

Sources:

1. "Transcript of Debate Between Bush and Kerry, With Domestic Policy the Topic," New York Times, 10/13/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=62975.
2. "Tax Returns: A Comprehensive Assessment of the Bush Administration Tax Cuts," Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, 04/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=62976.
3. Ibid, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=62976.
4. "Tax Cuts Go Mostly to the Rich," OMB Watch, 2004, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=3382691&l=62977.
Stating that most of the tax burden went to the lower tax groups is crap. My tax bracket didn't increase at all, I am still paying the same amount of taxes now as I did before the tax cut. In fact I'm getting more back because of certain aspects of the tax cut. I get more money back due to being married and having children. I know I got money back a few years ago and was happy to have it at the time.

Is it any wonder that the people who received the most back in dollar amount are the same people who pay the most in dollar amount? Bush even created a new tax bracket, which is taxed at the 10% rate, where before they were being taxed at a higher 15% tax bracket. These people received a bit of money back due to this change, and now bring home more of their money.

Everyone who pays taxes should have a tax cut.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:48 pm
Baldimo
You must have missed or maybe you did not understand this sentence?
As a result, those in the middle class are paying a greater share of the federal taxes today than they were four years ago.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:53 pm
Baldimo

There is no reason why those who pay the most taxes in dollar amount needs to get the largest taxcutts in dollar amount when taxes are cut. Goverment spending is distributed either equally among people with various incomes, or more goes to those who earn the least. If a taxcut is not meant to alter the level of "redistribution of wealth", the tax cut should have the same distribution as the programs cut, which is to say an equal dollar amount per head, or a larger dollar amount to those with lower income than to those with higher income.

That said, I get the impression that say the richest 1% now pay a lower percentage of total US taxes than they did in 2000. Is that not correct?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:52 pm
au1929 wrote:
Baldimo
You must have missed or maybe you did not understand this sentence?
As a result, those in the middle class are paying a greater share of the federal taxes today than they were four years ago.

The amount of money coming out of the middle class would remain the same. If I'm being taxed at 15% and that percentage doesn't change then I am still paying the same. I don't pay anymore and I don't pay any less. To me it doesn't matter how much of my share is being used, it only matters to me that my taxes don't change in amount I pay. My share doesn't matter because the $ amount didn't change.

Einherjar wrote:
Baldimo

There is no reason why those who pay the most taxes in dollar amount needs to get the largest taxcutts in dollar amount when taxes are cut.

It only makes sense that those that pay the most get the most back, if it didn't work that way then it wouldn't be fair. We need a fair tax system, if it is to work properly. There is no reason why those that pay the least to get the most back. If this were the case then they wouldn't be paying their fair of taxes.

Quote:
Goverment spending is distributed either equally among people with various incomes, or more goes to those who earn the least. If a taxcut is not meant to alter the level of "redistribution of wealth", the tax cut should have the same distribution as the programs cut, which is to say an equal dollar amount per head, or a larger dollar amount to those with lower income than to those with higher income.

It is backward for someone to receive back more then they pay. This would cause an imbalance in the system. Why do people see a need for the Robin Hood syndrome? People who earn a lot of money don't use the govt system to the extent of those who do. People who earn the amount of money that I do (30-32,000)don't have the same need for govt services as those that earn less then I do. People in my wage area have the things they need to live. I have a car, I have a house, and I have a TV and a DVD player. I have cable TV as well as high-speed Internet and phone service. If I stated getting to the point where I couldn't afford certain things like gas then I would have to cut back on something like my cable bill my high speed internet or my DVD subscription. I don't need these things if I can't feed my children. These things are only to make life more interesting and fun, they are not needed to survive by any means.

Quote:
That said, I get the impression that say the richest 1% now pay a lower percentage of total US taxes than they did in 2000. Is that not correct?

When you get a tax cut that is the general idea, and what is wrong with that. They still pay a higher percentage of the total taxes but they don't pay at the same percentage as they did before. Example being, they were paying 45% before and now they pay 43%. They will still pay a much higher dollar amount then I do and that is fair as long as it is within reason. I don't really favor a progressive tax system, I would rather see a flat tax based on percentage.

The way I would like to see it do is like this. If you earn below $29,000 a year, you don't pay anything. For everyone who earns above $30,000 then they all pay the same percentage, like around 15-17%. This would be on the federal level. On the state level, we should only pay sales tax and no income tax on what we earn, it is the same as being double taxed except the amount is different.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:38 pm
Baldimo wrote:
It only makes sense that those that pay the most get the most back, if it didn't work that way then it wouldn't be fair. We need a fair tax system, if it is to work properly. There is no reason why those that pay the least to get the most back. If this were the case then they wouldn't be paying their fair of taxes.

Baldimo wrote:
I don't really favor a progressive tax system, I would rather see a flat tax based on percentage.

The way I would like to see it do is like this. If you earn below $29,000 a year, you don't pay anything. For everyone who earns above $30,000 then they all pay the same percentage, like around 15-17%. This would be on the federal level. On the state level, we should only pay sales tax and no income tax on what we earn, it is the same as being double taxed except the amount is different.

I can understand those oppinions, but oppinions are all they are, try not to let them get in the way of seing my point.

Baldimo wrote:
It is backward for someone to receive back more then they pay. This would cause an imbalance in the system. Why do people see a need for the Robin Hood syndrome?

Backwords or not people do see a need for "the Robin Hood syndrome". Would you agree that cutting taxes while maintaining the same level of "Robin Hood activity" would require taxcutts to be targeted at the people who benefitted from programs being cut? (Which means lower income, or at least not very rich people)

If you agree with this than you wil agree that Bush's taxcuts are redistributing wealth in favor of the rich when compared to the situation prior to the taxcuts. Never mind wether or not this is a good thing, wil you agree that it is what is happening?

That was the point I was trying to make.

Baldimo wrote:
The amount of money coming out of the middle class would remain the same. If I'm being taxed at 15% and that percentage doesn't change then I am still paying the same. I don't pay anymore and I don't pay any less. To me it doesn't matter how much of my share is being used, it only matters to me that my taxes don't change in amount I pay. My share doesn't matter because the $ amount didn't change.

You do agree that if you pay the same, and funding for police, firedepartments and similar things are cut, you are worse off right?

Baldimo wrote:
Quote:

When you get a tax cut that is the general idea, and what is wrong with that.

Well yeah, but not even the furthest right wing politicians will admit to that. They always try to make it out to be about stimulating the economy or some such, and pretend that the distribution of the taxcut with the most to those who earn the most (dollar amount) is somehow a given.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:13 pm
au1929 wrote:
finn wrote
Quote:
Embryonic stem cell research cannot even be imagined without the deliberate and expressed intent to sacrifice an innocent.

What innocent is that. Those in fertility clinics that are destined for the garbage bin.

That is just another reason to get rid of that Moron in the oval office.

Because they are destined for the garbage bin they are not innocent?

Calling someone a moron for the belief that an embryo is a human life is quite similar to calling someone who is in favor of using such embryos for medical research immoral.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:20 pm
Finn, the "innocent" was pretty much sacrificed to begin with, which is also what au said. If you tried, you would see that.

Since Bush isn't doing anything about fertilityclinics, who will toss these embryo's in the dustbin if the scientific comunity doesn't put them to use, I can only conclude that he is either retarded, or he is not worried about sacrificing "embryos" but about loosing support from his religious base.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:37 pm
Einherjar:

Retarded is too kind of a description for Bush.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:51 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Einherjar:

Retarded is too kind of a description for Bush.

Don't worry, most retarded people are to dumb to understand the insult. Anyway, retarded is all I can conclude from this evidence alone. Four years of similar experiences does however warant a harsher description.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:25 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Quote:
The idea isn't in the selling of the oil, it's in the procurement, manufacturing and refinement of the oil. The money is in the form of US taxpayer funded money to large republican firms.

Do these "republician firms" include regular oil companies? Companies like Exxon/Mobil, Shell and Phillips 66? These are the oil companies that work the oil business around the world. Have these companies been gaining in profits? I think to look at just Halliburton is being disingenuous. Sure Halliburton has made money but isn't that the point.

No, it is EXACTLY the point!!! It's the first sign of decption coming from the RNC. According to your ideology, there is no conflict of intrest when a CEO of said company "retires" to become V.P. Then, the VP along with others, gives said company X amount of dollars in government money.

This is money, which they are making an outrageous profit on (In fact, they can't locate over a Billion dollars) Ooops, geee I don't know what happened to it, but we can't find it.

You don't have a problem with this at all. You are so blind.

Quote:

I know none of you like the truth about the no bid contracts but here is the truth. There was a bidding process early when Bush got into office. This bidding process was to have a contractor on hand to perform short notice jobs without having to wait for many months to fulfill contracts on jobs that would be needed now.

You do realize this was of course done BEFORE we invaded right? Still no problem?

Quote:

Iraq and Afghanistan troop support for the soldiers is a perfect example of this. When the troops took up posts across Iraq and Afghanistan, they needed barracks, chow halls and personal facilities to handle business. If the govt were to wait for these services to be fulfilled by companies bidding for the process, they would have been waiting for several months just for the contract to be approved, let alone the companies to get into the area and supply said services. Would you have had the troops wait for some type of comfort, wait to shower and even have decent meals? During a time of war, someone is always going to profit, so to me it doesn't matter who gets the money, because it is always going to be someone.

Ah, now you're getting at the crux of the matter. The money get's spread across ALL the defense industry. Let me ask you this question as well, who is better off then the defense industry right now? Programs are funded, budgets are increasing and life is grand.

Just one more question though: What does the defense industry need to justify it's existance?
War!!!

When you remove all the BS, when you get right down to it, this is what it is all about. It has nothing to do with terrorism, it never did. It has to do with keeping their side fed by federal taxpayers money. The rich making laws about how to tax themselves and deciding which group I'm going to give money to.

Bush was Santa Clause to the ultra wealthy!!!!

Quote:

Quote:
The money is in the form of US taxpayer funded money to large republican firms. It comes in the form on no-bid contracts. A tax payer giveaway to these companies, it's direct profiteering on the war by companies with a financial investment in the RNC. Doesn't this even remotely bother you? Doesn't this even stir your intrest in looking further into the matter?

No it doesn't bother me, because I know someone is going to make money, and I would rather it be an American company and American workers then a foreign company and foreign workers. Is there a single company in the US that isn't attached at the hip to some political party? Most if not all companies contribute to a political party and people running for office. Some contribute more to others but more often then not, they all contribute to everyone. I'm sure if you look through Halliburton's records, you will find that they paid money into both parties not just the RNC.

The fact that you can sit right there and say it's O.K. to give all your corporate buddies American taxpayer money, and to do it ON THE BACKS OF OUR SOLDIERS shows how truly dispicable the RNC and your talking point has become.

Well, what if I told you there's a direct ratio to the amount of rebuilding to the amount of reconstruction? The more you contribute, the more you get back. Don't you think you would be able to get other countries aboard?

Quote:

Quote:

The difference between Halliburton employees and soldiers, is that you don't go into the military because of the money. If you did then you are delusional. Soldiers don't have a choice of where and when they will be stationed somewhere, and they know this in advance. Civilian employees are going to work in Iraq by choice, and they are indeed working in a very dangerous place with little to no protection while they work. They are not allowed to be armed and there for are in much bigger danger. When was the last time you heard about a soldier being kidnapped while working? You don't, because soldiers are told to not travel alone and to do so is violation of orders. Civilians are not under these same orders. I don't have an issue with civilian employees making that much money and neither should you. If the US military paid soldiers the same amount as their civilian counter parts did, you would have a complaint about that because of how much money the govt spent on the military. Most of you already complain that the US spends too much on the military, can you imagine how much they would have to increase the budget to provide that type of pay. The current % of military spending is about 3%, in order to compete with civilian pay we would have to increase spending by at least double. You won't like that, because you already think the military budget is already too high according to people such as yourself.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but I think the budget should be increased. Yep, increased. I think the money should be refocused on technology development instead of overpriced military hardware. The F22 costs upwards of $140 million with an R&D cost of $60 Billion, where as the JSF costs just $23 million and cost $15Billion to develop from TWO companies. The F22 is over budget, over cost and isn't going to be used for what they invisioned it for.

We need to add more JSFs to the program and less F22s. The analogy being that competition and market driven technology funded by the government is the cheapest and quickest way to increase technology. The JSF is a perfect example of this. We need to completely modernize our military and specialize the forces. We need to fund this as well, but we also need to remove the industrial complex currently in place.

Quote:

Quote:
The stock of Halliburton has gone up over 200% in the past year, this money and stock increase is DIRECTLY from the American taxpayer. Look at the top % companies on profit margin and you'll find oil at the top right now.

Oil has just about always been on the high end of profit making because it is such a necessary commodity. I don't care who makes the money, if you want the companies to make less money then demand for drilling in places like ANWR where the companies will have to spend their own money to procure oil instead of from foreign sources. If we were to drop our dependence on foreign oil supplies and increase our own procurement then prices would drop, because we wouldn't be dependent on how much oil someone else is willing to provide and how fast they are willing to provide it. With oil currently at a record high do to outside factors we could lower the price by drilling, refining and using our own supplies.

I love how you completely ignore the % of increase and pass it off as nothing. Here's another one spelled out for you. . .

If the administration knew there would be a rebuilding effort, they also knew that the stock prices of said company would increase. Am I wrong here? Tell me if I have my facts and reasoning is mixed up here.

Did this administration KNOW there would be an increase in the stock prices of certain companies who would aid in the rebuilding effort?

That is not a far jump, in fact it would be FAR more unlikely that the administration DIDN'T consider this.

Knowing now, in hindsight, what was said and how it was used, doesn't it LOGICALLY help you draw the conclusion that there just MAY have been some alterior motives???

I already know your answer. . . Kerry changes his mind Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Quote:
Which leads directly to the question, if they aren't porking the consumer, then how are they able to maintain such a high profit margin?

Companies are in the business of making money and if their price to produce goes up, then so is the consumer's price to consume. I'm not happy with how high gas prices are, but there are reasons why the price has gone up. Follow the news on this one and you will see why.

No kidding Mr. Wizzard, nice dodge attempt, but it didn't work. Maybe I should word the question different for you.

If oil companies are currently making RECORD profits, and the consumers are paying RECORD prices, tell me again how they aren't porking the consumer? Like when Enron "didn't" pork California?

Oh YES, another company which totally SCREWED its workers and gave MILLIONS to the CEOs. And also one of Bush's good buddies, yep dat good ole' Kenny Boy!!!! You da man!!!

Utterly shameless.

Quote:

Quote:
The image below is the stock preformance of Haliburton from the time of the vote on Iraq until now. Pretty big gain in stock, 14 to 35, a 250% increase over two years, pretty hard to do considering the dow has decreased during that span.

You are wrong on part of that, the DOW has increased in the last year plus. Before the war the Stock market was down to about 7,000 and in that time has gone up to about 10,000 depending on what is going on. Now with the increase in oil prices, the market has gone down. I would say an increase of almost 3,000 points is pretty good, and reflects how well the economy has done in that same amount of time.
[/quote]

I was wrong, it (DJIA) didn't decrease over the TWO year period, it was over the PAST year. Actually, after today it brings it above, so it's stagnant, but it still does not detract from the point.

Halliburton DIRECTLY profitted from the war. THat's the point!!!
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:38 pm
I wonder if our soldiers would fight harder and risk death more readily in Iraq if we were to pay them the same amount Dynocorp security employees make? 2 Cents

I, unfortuately, work (or worked, as I'm gettin' laid off at the end of this year) for one of those "no-bid" contractors based right here in San Francisco. Unfortunately, for American companies, there are very few (and even fewer now) that are uniquely qualified for this kind of work. But IMAGINE if we opened the bidding to INTERNATIONAL contractors instead. Can you imagine the groundswell of private security support we'd get, along with additional troops from other countries?

Don't get me wrong: these companies made a fortune. But unlike some I know (and worked with), it was primarily Halliburton (Dick Cheney's former company) that screwed the Pentagon out of millions of dollars.

At this point, companies are pulling out, because it just isn't safe enough there anymore. When you have elite security agents from Dynocorp taken out in the safest (presumably) zone in Iraq, the second thoughts begin to grow. I have a friend who is currently working there with a former JV company, and I've told him several times he needs to come home NOW.

GOD what a mess this has become. Not even American companies are doing as well over there.

Who wants to die trying to build a school half way around the world, while right here at home your child's school ceiling is about to collapse?
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 12:37 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Stating that most of the tax burden went to the lower tax groups is crap. My tax bracket didn't increase at all, I am still paying the same amount of taxes now as I did before the tax cut. In fact I'm getting more back because of certain aspects of the tax cut. I get more money back due to being married and having children. I know I got money back a few years ago and was happy to have it at the time.

You fail to realize what the talking points are, and why they are focused towards income tax. While your tax bracket DID decrease, your tax burden to society did INCREASE. Did your property tax go up? How about your school system, did they lay off any workers? How many fire stations closed? How many police officers were laid off? How much did the price of milk increase? How about your SSI increase?

What you fail to realize is that a MAJORITY of the tax cuts WEREN'T attributed to income, but to capitol gains tax!!! This tax, which is imposed on NON-WORKING income (you know, the type of income a billionaire gets by sitting by his pool sipping champagne) that is taxed at 15%!!! Yes, a billionaire pays LESS taxes on UNEARNED INCOME then somebody working 80 hours a week to provide for a family of 4!!!! This is what the taxes were about, the so-called "middle class cut" is an abberation. It was directly reflected into loss of goods and services, and further increases in "hidden taxes" ie, state, property, cigs, gas, health care etc. So before you go off spurting that you don't pay an increase in taxes, why don't you actually look at what you have in your pocket, and where it is going. The increase of prices is a direct result of the tax cuts!!!!

This does NOT even mention the grab bag for the rich that SSI is. As of right now, SSI is capped at 88K. If you make more then that, you pay NOTHING towards SSI. Normally, I don't have a problem with this, because people in the top usually have other retirements setup. BUT, SSI IS NOT SECURE!!! Bush has CONSTANTLY dipped into the SSI fund to give money to other areas of the federal government. This makes SSI a TAX in its most basic definition. A federal payment by the taxpayer to the federal government. It is a poor persons tax!!!

Quote:

Is it any wonder that the people who received the most back in dollar amount are the same people who pay the most in dollar amount? Bush even created a new tax bracket, which is taxed at the 10% rate, where before they were being taxed at a higher 15% tax bracket. These people received a bit of money back due to this change, and now bring home more of their money.

What a crock of crap. Do you know what these "poor" people got back from Bush? NADA, nothing. They are FAR worse off now, then 4 years ago. Social programs slanted towards the underprivileged have been slashed in favor of tax cuts for the rich.

Oh, and by the way, the top 1% of the population received over 33% of the tax cuts. How is this a "fair" tax cut? You have NO problem giving a Billionaire tax breaks on NON-WORKING income??? We're at WAR!!! And instead of acting like it, Bush went on a spending spree to give FREE federal money to his "base", ie. THE BILLIONAIRES OF THE us!!!!

Quote:

Everyone who pays taxes should have a tax cut.

BS, everyone who WORKS should receive a tax cut, not everyone who pays taxes. Why should a billionaire pay less in tax percentage then a Police officer who is protecting our security? Why should they pay less then the military fighting for our country? Why should they pay less then the teachers who teach our kids, and why the hell should they be given a ridiculous tax cut in the first place?

I'll tell you, Bush could care less what happens to middle class America, he only cares about the top. He only cares about the ultra elite, the ultra rich, his supporters and his base. He could care less about any person making 50K, I dare you to prove me wrong.

Every policy which was supposedly skewed towards middle class America has a government giveaway to big business. It's all there, look through the BS and see it for yourself.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 01:08 pm
Einherjar wrote:
Finn, the "innocent" was pretty much sacrificed to begin with, which is also what au said. If you tried, you would see that.

Since Bush isn't doing anything about fertilityclinics, who will toss these embryo's in the dustbin if the scientific comunity doesn't put them to use, I can only conclude that he is either retarded, or he is not worried about sacrificing "embryos" but about loosing support from his religious base.

Actually Einherjar I spent quite a long time seeing things you're way until I realized I really wasn't seeing anything clearly, but even in my days spent on the Left, I maintained a connection to logic.

You are insistent upon castigating Bush as some sort of myopic fanatic who is forcing a narrow, faith based agenda down our throats, but then when he doesn't act like the character you've created for him, you accuse him of being retarded or inconsistent.

There is a significant difference between refusing federal funds for research on new lines of embryonic stem cells, and imposing a legal prohibition or sanction on fertility clinics that discard embryos.

I feel certain that Bush is no more sympathetic to the tossing away of embryos than he is to their use in research, but unlike the fascist neanderthal you would have him be, he understands that there is a limit to the authority he can exercise over these issues.

He has clearly articulated a pro-life position and yet he has not ordered the military to close down abortion clinics. How come? Is he retarded? Does he not care about his pro-life supporters?

If Bush was providing federal funds to fertility clinics that dispose of embryos, then you might have an argument, but he is not.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 03:00 pm
Bush is either a religious fanatic or is catering to the religious fanatics of his base. No matter how you twist it he would rather see the embryos destroyed than to put them to use for the good of the sick and disabled. I doubt that God, even Mr. Bush's would condone that deviant thinking.

As for the military closing down abortion clinics. He has not as yet achieved the rank of dictator..
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:06 pm
maybe we should just let scientific research and available healthcare drop by the wayside.....thin the herd........statistically at least half of the people who die will be rightwingnuts.......glass half full?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 12:42 am
au1929 wrote:
Bush is either a religious fanatic or is catering to the religious fanatics of his base. No matter how you twist it he would rather see the embryos destroyed than to put them to use for the good of the sick and disabled. I doubt that God, even Mr. Bush's would condone that deviant thinking.

As for the military closing down abortion clinics. He has not as yet achieved the rank of dictator..

Well, if you say so au1929 then it must be so.
0 Replies