More bush Contradictions

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:07 pm
In the debate when stem cell research was brought up bush said that he couldn't condone sacrificing life to save another......

So tell me why that is his main defense for his shitty Iraq war?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,429 • Replies: 50
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:09 pm
Because babies are cute and cudly and Arabs are ugly and evil.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:15 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

how about arab babies? where do they fit in with that philosophy?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:17 pm
How can we control the oil supply with people like you philosophising?
0 Replies

Lemmeoutahere

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:20 pm
You may internally combust of course.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:21 pm
panzade wrote:

I'm an ignorant lout pan..please forgive me....I wasn't thinking clearly...I've been stoned and slacking all day....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:30 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

how about arab babies? where do they fit in with that philosophy?

They're brown aren't they?

Okay, I have to stop now, I'm frightening myself.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:25 pm
Because babies are slaves to their wombs owners and arabs are... Confused
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:29 pm
Re: More bush Contradictions
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
In the debate when stem cell research was brought up bush said that he couldn't condone sacrificing life to save another......

A somewhat subtle difference that is, perhaps, beyond the ken of an ignorant lout.

As respects Iraq, Bush is not sacrificing lives that have no say in the matter. If one joins the military of any country, then one must accept one's role as a potential sacrifice. The history of war is replete with instances of the sacrifice of the few for the benefit of the whole. Anyone who voluntarily joins the US military must accept and acknowledge that they might be the sacrificed for the greater good.

It is deceptively easy to froth at the mouth about the deaths of individuals.

Who is ever going to say that the death of a young military man or woman is A-OK?

The real question is not "What does bipo think of the sacrifices of these young men and women?"

The real question is "What do these young men and women think of their sacrifices?"

Such young men and women may, or may not think that their sacrifices have been in vain.

Everything I have read suggests that this is, by no means, the case, but let's play along with it for now.

Should these young men and women question the value of their possible sacrifice, there exists the clear possibility that these kids will not join the military...and yet they continue to join.

But bipos knows better than them.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 11:00 pm
Finn

There are many people in Iraq who are losing their lives as a result of the US occupation who have nothing to do with the military of any country.

This includes many children.

I regret the loss of the lives of US soldiers (and those of other coutnries) and think it is a tragedy in spite of the fact that you seem to think they are expendable.

But to ignore the civilians, including very young children, who are paying the highest price is beyond preposterous.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 11:04 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

A somewhat subtle difference that is, perhaps, beyond the ken of an ignorant lout.

As respects Iraq, Bush is not sacrificing lives that have no say in the matter. If one joins the military of any country, then one must accept one's role as a potential sacrifice. The history of war is replete with instances of the sacrifice of the few for the benefit of the whole. Anyone who voluntarily joins the US military must accept and acknowledge that they might be the sacrificed for the greater good.

But the dead aren't all military, Finn. The babies and women had no say in this conflict, but Bush has chosen to sacrifice them anyway. Sad

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/database/
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:19 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

It is deceptively easy to froth at the mouth about the deaths of individuals.

Who is ever going to say that the death of a young military man or woman is A-OK?

The real question is not "What does bipo think of the sacrifices of these young men and women?"

The real question is "What do these young men and women think of their sacrifices?"

Such young men and women may, or may not think that their sacrifices have been in vain.

Everything I have read suggests that this is, by no means, the case, but let's play along with it for now.

Should these young men and women question the value of their possible sacrifice, there exists the clear possibility that these kids will not join the military...and yet they continue to join.

But bipos knows better than them.

gosh finn we had our words yesterday....do you want to continue the sniping today and on another thread to boot? If you want to call me an ignorant lout, go ahead but please don't spin my statements to try and make it sound like I don't care about or honor the sacrifices of our miltary....that spin has no place on this thread and reveals more about you than it does about me.......
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
panzade wrote:

I'm an ignorant lout pan..please forgive me....I wasn't thinking clearly...I've been stoned and slacking all day....

Quote:
gosh finn we had our words yesterday....do you want to continue the sniping today and on another thread to boot? If you want to call me an ignorant lout, go ahead but please don't spin my statements to try and make it sound like I don't care about or honor the sacrifices of our miltary....that spin has no place on this thread and reveals more about you than it does about me.......

You called yourself one in this thread first, you silly lout. Laughing Since Finn's got better things to do in the morning than debate the likes of either of us, I thought I'd just point out that fact to you, BPB. Wink
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:50 am
Yeah but Finn meant it....and I'm so sensitive... Crying or Very sad :wink:
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:33 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

But the dead aren't all military, Finn. The babies and women had no say in this conflict, but Bush has chosen to sacrifice them anyway. Sad

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/database/

And that's a good point princess.

If there is zero tolerance for innocent civilian casualties, then it is virtually impossible to wage a war. That would be a very good thing if all societies throughout the world possessed the same zero tolerance, but they don't.
Innocents died in WWII (A war almost no one contends was not "just"), but if we had had no tolerance whatsoever for such deaths their numbers would have been far greater, because we would not have defeated those who strove to dominate the world.

The presidents position on stem cells, however, doesn't represent zero tolerance for the sacrifice of innocents in favor of a greater good. There is no ban on embryonic stem cell research. This is a Democratic canard. There isn't even a ban on the governmental funding of embryonic stem cell research. What there is, is a ban on the use of federal funds to create new embryonic stem lines. Private embryonic stem cell research is legal. Governmental research on existing lines of embryonic stem cells is legal.

There is another difference between the two situations.

A nation can prosecute a war without deliberately targeting citizens. To the extent that innocent civilians have died in Iraq, it is not because they were specifically targeted.

Embryonic stem cell research cannot even be imagined without the deliberate and expressed intent to sacrifice an innocent.

Of course the families of innocents killed in Iraq will grieve no less because their loved ones were not deliberately targets, but the decision to go to war is based upon the preferences of the families of those killed, no nation would go to war. Here again, though, we are confronted with the fact that even if some countries applied this approach to decisions of war and peace, all countries certainly would not and that would leave the conquerers to fall on the rest of the world like wolves on sheep.

George Bush is not often given credit for nuanced thinking, and perhaps he didn't avail himself of it in making these decisions, but the issues do not lend themselves to one simple and consistently applied maxim:

Any sacrifice of an innocent is OK if it involves the possible advancement of a greater good.

or

No sacrifice of an innocent is OK, no matter what the ultimate purpose.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:44 pm
panzade wrote:

With the price of oil today, it doesn't look like we are controlling the oil supply. Let me know when it REALLY starts to happen.

If control was the true intent, then gas should be about $1.20 a gallon. Last time I checked I was still paying about $1.85.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:49 pm
the price of gas was never supposd to go down, the profit to a select few in the bushinc club was supposed to go up.....mission accomplished.....
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:51 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the price of gas was never supposd to go down, the profit to a select few in the bushinc club was supposed to go up.....mission accomplished.....
How much of the oil being sold on the market right now is owned by Bushs "friends"?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:54 pm
the idea is not to own it but to profit from it....another bush like quality....profit from others...
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:57 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the idea is not to own it but to profit from it....another bush like quality....profit from others...
Ok care to explain who these big dealers are then? Interesting to know.
0 Replies