Sinclair Broadcasting Group Poised to Break Election Laws

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:33 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
DontTreadOnMe:

As Larry434 hasn't seen Michael's movie, he has only commented on it based on what everybody else tells him to say.

It's really quite sad...

I haven't been to the moon, either. But I have read enough about it and talked to folkd who have been, to know what it is like. Very Happy
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:35 pm
Larry434 wrote:
I haven't been to the moon, either. But I have read enough about it to know what it is like. Very Happy

oh, brother...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:36 pm
Then you know, Larry, that it's made of cheese.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:38 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
I haven't been to the moon, either. But I have read enough about it and talked to folks who have been to know what it is like. Very Happy

oh, brother...

Yup, that is how most of us come to know things...not by direct experience but by reading and talking to others who have had the subject direct experience.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:40 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Quote:
Any campaign finance reforms should be agreed to in the off season, not bickered about in the final month before the election.

McCain-Feingold's bill was already agreed upon and SIGNED by the President. There isn't anything to bicker about.

What Sinclair is planning on doing would be illegal. Plain and simple.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:43 pm
"Subject direct experience?"

Cost to fly to the Moon: Millions upon millions of dollars

Cost to see Farenheit 9/11: $4 - $9

Simply put, Larry434 chooses to not see this movie, but to mirror the talking points his buddies give him.

The moon isn't a political issue. It's a rock floating in space which effects our tides and wolves howl at.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:48 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
"Subject direct experience?"

Cost to fly to the Moon: Millions upon millions of dollars

Cost to see Farenheit 9/11: $4 - $9

Simply put, Larry434 chooses to not see this movie, but to mirror the talking points his buddies give him.

The moon isn't a political issue. It's a rock floating in space which effects our tides and wolves howl at.

I speak my opinion based on reading and talking to people who have seen it. Hell, in our discussions on Abuzz, even you did not deny it was good and effective propaganda.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:53 pm
Quote:
Hell, in our discussions on Abuzz, even you did not deny it was good and effective propaganda.

I think you completely missed the point regarding your hysterical anology. And perhaps you can explain how there are no campaing law's precluding this potentially illegal act by SBG?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:55 pm
The fact that this company wants to show the movie opens an interesting can of worms: Who owns the big media companies, anyhow?

Big corporations, for the most part. That's why all the BS about Dan Rather amuses me. You really think he calls the shots at CBS?

These corporations care about their bottom line, because that's how the big shots keep their jobs. Of course, some still want to make some political news, hence the Sinclair people.

Something to bear in mind the next someone blows smoke about The Liberal Media...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:58 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
McCain-Feingold's bill was already agreed upon and SIGNED by the President. There isn't anything to bicker about.
So far you've presented an excerpt that refers to "Ads". I don't see anything about movies, documentaries and/or crockumentaries... so unless you can show me where the bill defines "Ads" (and said definition needs to fit "movies, documentaries and/or crockumentaries" to be relevant), you've presented nothing but your own hyper-biased opinion.

Dookiestix wrote:
What Sinclair is planning on doing would be illegal. Plain and simple.
Sez you. Prove it.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:58 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Then it's o.k., Larry434, if, say, CBS airs Farenheit 9/11 days before the election?

It is as far as I am concerned.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:01 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
Hell, in our discussions on Abuzz, even you did not deny it was good and effective propaganda.

I think you completely missed the point regarding your hysterical anology. And perhaps you can explain how there are no campaing law's precluding this potentially illegal act by SBG?

It is not an "ad".
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:32 pm
Quote:
Those officials said the documentary would pre-empt regular night programming, including prime time, on its stations, which include affiliates for all six of the major broadcast networks in the swing states of Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, Nevada and Pennsylvania

In Florida, there are 3 members of The Sinclair Group. Sinclair owns and operates 1 major network station, NBC affiliate WTWC ch 40, Tallahassee. Also in Tallahassee, Sinclair has an Outsourcing Agreement with ABC affiliate WTXL ch 27. One other station in Florida is a member of the Sinclair Group, Tampa's WB affiliate WTTA ch 38, with which Sinclair has a Local Marketing Agreement.

In Ohio, there are 5 members of The Sinclair Group. Cincinnati's WB affiliate WSTR ch 33 is a Sinclair-owned-and-operated station. In Columbus, Sinclair owns and operates ABC affiliate WSYX ch 6 and has a Local Marketing Agreement with Fox affiliate WTTE ch 28. Dayton likewise has one Sinclair owned-and-operated station, ABC affiliate WKEF ch 22, and with Fox affiliate WRGT ch 45 there is a Local Marketing Agreement.

In Wisconsin, there are 3 Sinclair Group stations, all Sinclair owned and operated. Milwaukee's UPN affiliate WCGTX ch 24 and WB affiliate WVTV ch 18, and Madison's Fox affiliate, WMSM ch 47.

In Nevada, Las Vegas is home to the 2 Sinclair Group stations in that state, both also Sinclair owned and operated; WB affiliate KVWB ch 21 and Independent KFBT ch 38 (proudly offering "Classic Sitcoms and Your Favorite Movies of Yesteryear Laughing )

In Pennsylvania, there are 2 Sinclair Group stations, both in Pittsburgh and both Sinclair owned-and-operated; Fox affiliate WPGH ch 53 and WB affiliate WCWB ch 22.

In the "Swing States" mentioned in the NYT article, Sinclair owns and operates a total of 1 NBC affiliate and 2 ABC affiliates, has an Outsourcing Agreement with 1 other ABC affiliate, and either owns or has agreements with a dozen other outlets.

Essentially, Outsourcing Agreements provide absolutely no umbrella control, merely permitting the parties thereto rights to one another's exclusively produced news programming, and Local Marketing Agreements amount to a contractual obligation on the part of Sinclair to offer its own exclusive programming to no other outlet in the same DMA while Sinclair's Marketing Department handles the advertising sales for the station. In either instance, the local station has the option to utilize Sinclair-provided programming, but is under no obligation to do so, and is entitled to display the Sinclair Group logo.

Only Sinclair owned and operated stations would be subject to a programming decision from Sinclair. Sinclair Group stations, owned or otherwise, are predominantly "Second-Tier Network" affiliates, programatically skewed toward younger viewers, and, accordingly, not "Major Players" in their overall markets. Should the programming decision drive the mainstream media to further hysteria, the effect will be to draw a much larger market share to Sinclair outlets than otherwise would be customary, and likely induce the outlets permitted but not obligated to air Sinclair programming to jump on the bandwagon, thus further enhancing Sinclair's "reach" during that time slot. Politics aside, its a canny marketing move on Sinclair's part. That there could be political ramifications inconvenient to The Democratic Party is merely a bonus brought on chiefly by their own protestations. And frankly, I figure the "Preaching to the choir" observation is right on the mark. Regardless the viewership generated, damned few if any minds are gonna be changed, either by this or by Mike Moore's pay-per-view election eve airing of his mockumentary.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:39 pm
The youth market may well be an especially important one in this election, timber. Not easily discounted, audience-wise.

Of those markets, I'm aware of Madison's Fox channel and Columbus' ABC channel. Those are both "real" channels, likely to get a big chunk of viewers.

What disturbs me beyond all else is that this may well be against the law. They may be using the "news" loophole to violate existing campaign finance laws. A variation of this already happened and was found to not be kosher:

Quote:
The group sought details on a $700,000 contract Ketchum received in 2003 from the Education Department.

One service the company provided was a video news release geared for television stations. The video includes a news story that features Education Secretary Rod Paige and promotes tutoring now offered under law.

The story ends with the voice of a woman saying, "In Washington, I'm Karen Ryan reporting."

It does not identify the government as the source of the report. It also fails to make clear the person purporting to be a reporter was someone hired for the promotional video.

Those are the same features -- including the voice of Karen Ryan -- that were prominent in videos the Health and Human Services Department used to promote the Medicare law and were judged covert propaganda by the Government Accountability Office in May.

This was found to be propaganda -- not as a term thrown around by conspiracy theorists but actual, dictionary-definition propaganda. Propaganda ain't kosher.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:41 pm
Soz, all political promotion is propaganda.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:42 pm
And some of it is illegal.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:47 pm
No argument there. As far as that goes, I think you can thank McCain-Feingold for much of the current ambiguity and abuse-fostering loopholes.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:27 pm
Larry434 thinks:

Quote:
It is not an "ad".

It promotes a political agenda. Anything that promotes something like a "political agenda" on television is generally an "advertisement." But if you feel that it's o.k. for CBS and other network affiliates to do the same thing with Michael Moore's film, then you must regard Farenheit 9/11 as actual NEWS, and not a documentary or and ad.

Wow!

Advertising:

c : to call public attention to especially by emphasizing desirable qualities so as to arouse a desire to buy or patronize
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:33 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Larry434 thinks:

Quote:
It is not an "ad".

It promotes a political agenda. Anything that promotes something like a "political agenda" on television is generally an "advertisement." But if you feel that it's o.k. for CBS and other network affiliates to do the same thing with Michael Moore's film, then you must regard Farenheit 9/11 as actual NEWS, and not a documentary or and ad.

Wow!

Advertising:

c : to call public attention to especially by emphasizing desirable qualities so as to arouse a desire to buy or patronize

F911 is a documentary...cleverly edited and full of propaganda according to what I have read and heard from people who have seen it.

I may have a personal disagreement with it, but I would never seek to censor it...in any venue.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:37 pm
Larry434:

You're completely missing the point. This doesn't HAVE to do with censorship. Sinclair Broadcasting Group could very well put this on pay-per-view as well, and no laws would be broken. But I doubt they would make very much money with such an ill-fated business venture.

To think that SBG would define this piece they're about to air as "news" is egregious, because it obviously isn't. You agree that Farenheit 9/11 is ALSO not news, and so Michael is bound by law to not have it televised on network television so close to the election.
0 Replies