Noah's Ark latest expedition - hoaxing the gullible?

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 07:50 pm
Quote:
In April businessman and Christian activist Daniel McGivern announced with great fanfare a planned summer expedition to Mount Ararat in Turkey. The project, he said, would prove that the fabled Noah's ark was buried there.

"We are not excavating it," McGivern told the audience. "We're going to photograph it and, God willing, you're all going to see it." If successful, he said, the discovery would be "the greatest event since the resurrection of Christ."

Quote:
The announcement received generous news coverage. But the U.S. $900,000 expedition quickly hit a snag: The Turkish government refused to grant the explorers permission to climb the mountain. Soon, the mission itself was put on ice.

But how credible was the expedition in the first place?

McGivern may have been more interested in generating publicity than mounting a serious search, critics now suggest. By making an early announcement, he may have tried to persuade the Turkish government into granting him a permit. Few expeditions have actually obtained clearance to climb Mount Ararat, which is located in a military zone.

The choice of expedition leader?a Turkish academic named Ahmet Ali Arslan, who claims to have climbed Mount Ararat 50 times in 40 years?also raised a red flag with those familiar with previous expeditions.

Arslan was involved in a 1993 documentary, aired on CBS television, which claimed to have found the ark. Some of the evidence presented in that documentary turned out to be a hoax, raising concerns about Arslan's testimony.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,816 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 07:56 pm
A great little scam. Raise about a million, buy a couple of return tickets to Turkey and fly there. You know the authorities WON'T issue you with a permit to travel to the area. Hang around for a week or so then fly back with the 'bad news'. Pocket the difference.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:29 am
How many damn times they gonna look for that ark?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:30 am
Why is it difficult to understand other peoples beliefs?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:35 am
Give me a million. I promise to look for the ark, scout's honor.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:17 pm
Hey, I'd do it for $850,000 and rights for the sale of T-shirts!

McG - the leader of this 'expedition' is Daniel McGivern, he runs the Hawaiian Christian Coalition and has a vested interest in perpetuating these undertakings. This crap 'science' is primarily to support a very narrow view of the world, like I said he knows he won't get permission to visit the site, so he can tell the faithfull that an evil coalition of humanists, beauracrats, Muslims (the faith of the Turks) and faggots (see below) are thwarting the Lord's work. He's an ass-hole.

Quote:

Aloha From Hawaii:

Why should you help, and care about, stopping same-sex marriages from ever taking place in Hawaii?

First, sexual activity between homosexual men or lesbian women is soundly condemned in the Old and New Testaments in the Bible!
Second, if it happens in Hawaii, gay couples will flock there to marry and honeymoon.....
Third, you must believe that the gays will recruit children to their lifestyle, ......
Fourth, some -- but not all -- homosexuals are pedophiles, preying on children .......
Fifth, God destroyed Sodom for sodomy. Only one family was taken out of the city before it was destroyed! Let's not incur God's wrath all over the world for what could happen in Hawaii...........

You can help stop these "marriages" from ever taking place. First and foremost, we need your prayers. Prayer is the greatest power in the world!

Then we need your help, your faith in action, a small gift or a major sacrifice. We need to win this war, inform voters, and stop same-sex marriages from ever taking place. Hawaii Christian Coalition needs to reach out to you. Please send a donation today and fill out the coupon below and mail it to:

Hawaii Christian Coalition
P.O. Box 37773
Honolulu, Hawaii 96837

Hawaii Christian Coalition donations are non-tax deductible. But we all must remember that faith without works is dead. Here is a chance for you to keep the world from becoming more corrupted by evil! [size=18]We must hate what God hates![/size] We must love the sinner, but hate the sin! Thank you for your help! Please send your donation today after cutting out and completing the coupon below.

Sincerely, Daniel P. McGivern, President Hawaii Christian Coalition
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:33 pm
OH MY GOSH!!!

I had no idea I could be recruited to a homosexual relationship!

That does it. No more gay friends for me!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:56 pm
They're just like the Marines, or the Mormons. How many times have I been approached outside shopping malls and on the street by a homosexual with a clip-board........ 'Excuse me sir, have you thought about the benefits of becoming gay?'.. 'Well I had never really thought about it. But your pitch has changed my thinking entirely. Do you have any literature or a drop-in centre where I can practice this exciting new life-style?'
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:25 pm
Sometimes when the wife is being particularly nasty I think of the benefits...
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 01:05 pm
...in a related story, the biblical-era Ossuary found in Israel and purported to have been that of "James, Son of Joseph, Brother of Jesus", has been categorized as a fraud.
Authorities accept that the artifact was truly ancient, but allege that the inscription identifying the ossuary's occupant was not original, i.e., the artifact had been altered.
...yep, another forgery perpetrated by persons eager to capitalize upon the vulnerability of religious maniacs... seeking to exploit how the devout are willing to suspend disbelief.

P.T. Barnum would be proud.

The Forgers were probably targeting people like the adherents of Falwell and Robertson...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:01 pm
Never made it out of Honolulu...

Quote:
Turkey denies Honoluluman's bid to find Ark
The government cites securityconcerns in refusing the quest[/b]

A Honolulu businessman's plan to take an expedition to Mount Ararat in search of Noah's Ark ended this week when the Turkish government refused to permit it because of security concerns about the area, which borders Iran and is 150 miles from Iraq.

Daniel McGivern, president of Shamrock-The Trinity Corp., was notified Wednesday that the search won't get off the ground. An official at the Turkish Embassy in Washington, D.C., wrote that his application to do research on the mountain "was declined by the relevant Turkish authorities due to the security restrictions."

source
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:44 pm
I saw on Discovery or TLC last week that the Ark isn't likely even on Mt. Ararat and that it was most likely a local flood, not world wide.

Meanwhile, the literature about the Grand Canyon is being changed to promote that it was carved by the great flood of the Old Testament. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 05:14 pm
squinney wrote:
I saw on Discovery or TLC last week that the Ark isn't likely even on Mt. Ararat and that it was most likely a local flood, not world wide.

Meanwhile, the literature about the Grand Canyon is being changed to promote that it was carved by the great flood of the Old Testament. Rolling Eyes

A smarter operator would insist that the ark came to ground on one of the Hawaiian mountains - save a lot of time and money.

Quote:
In August of 2003, Grand Canyon National Park Superintendent Joe Alston attempted to block the sale of Grand Canyon: A Different View, by Tom Vail, a book explaining how the park's central feature developed on a biblical rather than an evolutionary time scale.

NPS Headquarters, however, intervened and overruled Alston. To quiet the resulting furor, NPS Chief of Communications David Barna told reporters that there would be a high-level policy review, distributing talking points stating: "We hope to have a final decision in February [2004]." In fact, the promised review never occurred.

Speechless. Just speechless.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 05:29 pm
More recently:

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/1119-28.htm

Towards the bottom...

"Even more troubling, PEER charges that Grand Canyon National Park no longer offers an official estimate of the age of the canyon, and that the NPS has blocked publication of guidance intended for park rangers that reminds them there is no scientific basis for creationism. The group has been increasingly concerned about what it calls the Park Service's "Faith-Based Parks" and the agency's seeming indifference to the separation of church and state Among other moves, for example, NPS has allowed the placing of bronze plaques bearing Psalm verses at Grand Canyon overlooks. PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch is indignant, "If the Bush Administration is using public resources for pandering to Christian fundamentalists, it should at least have the decency to tell the truth about it."
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 06:02 pm
Why not diving boards for the ICR faithful?

'Test your FAITH!! Will God catch YOU!!"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 04:53 pm
ive seen tthe bookleet on tthe fluvial deeluge carving of tthe Graand Canyon. its a POS but it is silent on the important issue of how long did it take to lay down all the sedimentary layers that thhis flood river carveed.

Im interedted in that Bibleland report tthat showed the dinosaaur skeleeton eaating a ominid skeeleton. Of course its a fraud but the man whose involved is a famous creator of Creation eexibits and has beeeen associated with other ' fossil frauds"
0 Replies