Matrix500

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:15 pm
Re shaking hands and the members of Congress getting flu shots:
Quote:
'Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for Oct. 20
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:55 pm
Found this interesting thing... Flu Shot & a Ferry Ride to Victoria, B.C.

Victoria Clipper & Flu Shot
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:54 am
So, Piffka...

Did you take the Flu Shot Ferry ride??? It appears that a lot of people have.
0 Replies

tikvah

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:47 am
Finding flu shots in Canada
I will be traveling in the next few weeks to Washington state. Besides the ferry to Victoria, can anyone advise me on how I might drive across the border and quickly obtain a flu shot there? Even my doctor thinks that's a good idea since her practice has no flu shots. I fall within guidelines because of asthma. Any current information would be appreciated!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:37 pm
Hi, tikvah...Welcome to A2K!

I live in the Seattle area. I did a bit of Googling for you re the flu shot clinics available in Vancouver, B.C., and found this site. At the bottom of the page you'll see links for flu shot info. Click on the one for Vancouver Coastal Health, on this page, click on the link to flu shot info in Vancouver and it will open a PDF file with a 2 page list of flu shot clinics to be held in the Vancouver area during November. It lists the address and phone number of each clinic, so you can call ahead if you're in the area during those times.

Lots of flu shots on the way: Kendall
Global BC
November 5, 2004

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/globaltv/story.html?id=dcd39721-8ace-4644-8173-bf3da02bb6ff

Vancouver Coastal Health
http://www.vch.ca/flu/

Flu shot clinic listings now available
Vancouver Coastal Health is holding community flu clinics around the region for those eligible for free vaccines from late October through to early December.

http://www.vch.ca/enewsletter/files/issue02-flushot.html

Here are a few other options:

Flu shot clinic for Americans to open Oct. 30 in Vancouver
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/10/21/state0635EDT0017.DTL&type=health

Canada welcomes Americans with shot in the arm
By plane and by car, U.S. citizens arrive for the hottest commodity in Vancouver, B.C.'s tourist trade: flu vaccine

Sunday, October 31, 2004
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/1099227413129530.xml

This article in the Seattle Times has a listing of some possible flu shot clinics in the Vancouver, Canada area with phone numbers and web addresses so you may want to call and check them out:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2002069781_flu22m.html

Hope you're able to find something useful in one of the places listed. Good Luck!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:47 am
FLU VACCINATIONS
there are more bad news from the influenza front >>>MORE FLU RESEARCH NEEDED ... in the meantime, canadian health authorities are urging EVERYONE to roll up a sleeve and get a flushot. in ontario the vaccination rate stands at approximately 50 % and health authorities want to boost the rate to 70 - 80 % in the hope to isolate carriers. hbg
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 09:19 pm
Great article, hamburger. I've been following that topic on the WHO and CDC influenza websites for the past 3 or 4 years and the experts there have been becoming more and more concerned about the world's ability to avoid a pandemic - especially with the avian flu becoming more and more prevalent. Every year it seems to be spreading between birds and humans more easily and they say it's just a matter of time before we really have a serious problem. It's really not something that the public should take lightly. It's too bad so many people do.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 09:21 pm
http://www.komotv.com/stories/33932.htm
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:12 am
Matrix500 wrote:
So, Piffka...

Did you take the Flu Shot Ferry ride??? It appears that a lot of people have.

Oh, I missed your question, Matrix. Sorry. No, no shot for me yet. If I go to Victoria, I may check and see if there are any flu shots available, though I've heard that B.C. is cutting back on shots for 'mericans.

Last time I got a shot (I think it was two years ago), I didn't get my shot 'til January. Maybe we'll have some more by then. Otherwise, I guess I'll try to avoid crowds and wash my hands a lot.

Glad that elderly man got his shot. How awful that his parents & sis died in the epidemic. He must HATE the flu!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:20 pm
Hi, Piffka...

Not a problem! Laughing I think the availability of shots in B.C. for Americans waivers from week to week. I think they've been bending over backwards trying to accomodate us and as long as they feel they have enough for their high-risk citizens then they'll help us out as much as they can. After all of the insults re medications that the administration has thrown at them, it's truly amazing that they still care about us enough to help out when our government let us down.

Re the man in the article...he must be terrified of the flu, and you can't really blame him. My father-in-law and my great uncle both survived that flu, and both were a part of that group who came down with Parkinson's Disease as a result of it. It eventually killed them both.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:32 pm
Piffka...

Flu season arrives, with some good news
Friday, November 12, 2004
By GARY CHITTIM / KING 5 News

SEATTLE - The mostly highly anticipated and feared flu season in years has begun in King County. With the shortage of flu vaccine, many high-risk patients worry what the season will bring.

Flu is not detectable with a simple exam.

Patient Edgar Steinitz has the classic symptoms of influenza. But no matter how much his doctor pokes, prods and peers, there's only one true way to know if he does - take a swab and send it off to the Health Department.

Dr. Marc Cordova is part of a group of volunteer doctors called Sentinels, who take swabs from suspected flu victims and send them in for tests. This week, the Sentinels turned in their first positive samples.

"We're the primary care doctors who see everybody who calls with sore throats and colds," Cordova said.

"So we know influenza is here," said Dr. Jeffrey Duchin, chief of communicable disease control for the Health Department. We know it's not causing a lot of problems right now and it's at a very low level."

Health officials don't know how bad the flu season will be in Western Washington, but thanks to Sentinel testing across the country, they do know this year's strain is an exact match to last year's.

"Sometimes, if the exact same strain comes two years in a row, it's not as severe in the second year because a lot of people were infected the first year," Duchin said.

And they are now immune to that strain. That's good news even for the millions of people who missed out on flu vaccines because of this year's shortage.

Thanks to programs like the Sentinel program, we all get the head start of knowing the flu season is here and we can prepare, with hand washing, plenty of rest and taking good care of oneself.

The only other county with any recorded cases, is Skagit County, with just one case.

Next week's flu shot clinics at Qwest Field and the Everett Events Center are now totally booked.

Tuesday's clinic at the Tacoma Dome is first come, first served. It's only open to high-risk people.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online at: http://www.king5.com/health/stories/NW_111204HEBfluseason.4ed8bbdd.html
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 12:03 am
Hmmm, same flu as last year is good news. Thanks for posting that. Oh, I hope I don't get sick.

I didn't realize there was a connection between flu and Parkinson's. Terrible.

I'm learning a lot... also didn't know there was a test for flu. I thought the MD's could just tell by how crummy we reported feeling.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:06 am
Quote:
Children, not the elderly, 'should get flu vaccines'
By Steve Connor, Science Editor
22 November 2004

Children, rather than the elderly, should be vaccinated against influenza to protect the rest of the population against an epidemic, a study showing that the virus spreads fastest in schools has concluded.

Present vaccination policy is to offer free flu jabs only to the over-65s, but scientists have found that it would be better to target school-aged children, because they are the ones who trigger an epidemic.

A pilot scheme to vaccinate thousands of children in Texas found that when just a quarter of them were given the vaccine it led to a drop of up to 18 per cent in flu cases among unvaccinated adults.

Computer models suggest that vaccinating half the child population would reduce the chances of an epidemic among adults by two-thirds. Vaccinating 90 per cent of children reduces the probability of an epidemic to just 4 per cent.

Scientists involved in the study believe that vaccinating even a minority of school-aged children against flu would lead to a significant decline in outbreaks among the very old and the very young, who are at the greatest risk of serious complications, such as pneumonia.

Paul Glezen, professor of virology and epidemiology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas, said there was little doubt that flu epidemics were spread mainly by schoolchildren and that targeting them with a vaccine was the best way to avoid a wider death toll. "There's a lot of evidence that children have the highest infection rates and that the virus then spreads from these children to their older and younger contacts," he said. "The elderly and the very young are at the end of the transmission chain so inoculating them won't have any effect on the rate of spread of an epidemic."

Even if only a proportion of children is vaccinated against flu, this could lead to wider "herd immunity" within the population at large, said Pedro Piedra, a member of the Baylor research team. "There have been studies demonstrating that children contribute to the spread of flu in families and communities. By reducing influenza in children, hopefully we can reduce the spread of influenza in the community," Dr Piedra said.

"With the current policy [of vaccinating the elderly], you only try to control mortality. If you want to control flu, our hypothesis is to focus on children."

The Baylor researchers vaccinated 20,000 eligible children in the Texas towns of Temple and Belton in 1998-99. The vaccine was delivered as a nasal spray rather injection.

Cases of flu in adults over the age of 35 in the two towns fell by between 8 and 18 per cent compared with similar communities where there was no significant childhood vaccination. Professor Glezen said this meant that there were thousands of people who did not catch flu who otherwise would have succumbed to the infection, and some would have developed more serious respiratory illnesses.

John Watson, head of respiratory diseases at the British Government's Health Protection Agency, said that any changes to Britain's vaccination policy would have to be decided by the Department of Health. "This is an interesting study that the Health Protection Agency will be keen to look at in more detail. It is well recognised that children play an important role in the transmission of the influenza virus in closed environments such as households, schools and nurseries," he said.

Japan imposed widespread flu vaccination of schoolchildren but the policy was abandoned in 1987 before epidemio- logists realised it had saved at least 10,000 elderly Japanese from respiratory diseases.

Professor Glezen said that in the US the number of people needing hospital treatment as a result of flu had increased in recent years despite an increase in the proportion of people over 65 who had been vaccinated.

"I don't think we can say we have an effective vaccination policy ... but it doesn't mean that the vaccine is ineffective. We need to target schoolchildren instead," he said.
Source

Glad you got it :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 05:39 pm
canadian health authorities support the "herd vaccination" idea. they suggest that the more people will get vaccinated, the less chance there will be for the flu to spread widely. they are also asking people with the flu or flu-like symptoms to STAY AT HOME and thus reduce the chance of spreading the flu to others. i sure hope it will work and that people will listen. hbg
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 09:22 pm
Hi, hamburger...

Totally agree with the article re the importance of vaccinating children against the flu. I've worked around them a lot and they're little breeders when it comes to catching and spreading things around. Their immune systems aren't fully developed so they catch so many more things than adults do, then, just by the nature of being little kids and doing what little kids do, they spread it to each other very easily. Each one of those kids goes home and spreads it to more and more people. I was so glad when my kids were out of elementary school - while they were there, you could count on catching just about everything that was going around. Not fun.

A couple of years ago when the first nasal-spray flu vaccine was being used, I remember it was given to almost all of the kids who attended a school somewhere - I believe it was in Texas - where in the past they'd almost always had to close the school down each year because of absences due to the flu. The first year that they gave the children the flu-mist vaccine, most of them didn't get sick and the school was able to stay open. Think of the snowball effect that must have had in their community.

I also totally agree with the "herd vaccination" idea. It only makes sense. I've also never understood why people go to work or send their kids to school when they are ill with something more than a slight cold. I may be overly sensitive to that because of my daughter's diabetes and the effect all these things have had on her (she at times has caught just about everything that has been going around and has been hospitalized on more than one occasion in the ICU) and a lot of the misery could have been prevented if only those who were sick had stayed home until they were well.

You offer good advice.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:10 pm
FLU VACCINE
just picked up this report from the canadian press. it's almost frightening. i noticed that the u.s. epidemiologist, michael osterholm, - mentioned in the report - is a special adviser to the u.s. health secretary and associate director of homeland's security's national center for food protection and defence. perhaps he will have enough clout to get the governments of the major nations of the world to pay some attention. EXPERTS WARN OF PANDEMIC
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:25 pm
Quote:
U.S. to Import 4 Million Flu Shot Doses
Tue Dec 7, 2004

By Lisa Richwine
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. health officials, taking another step to ease the season's flu shot shortage, approved the importation of up to 4 million flu shot doses from Europe on Tuesday for patients willing to sign a consent form.

The government will immediately buy 1.2 million doses made by GlaxoSmithKline Plc at a plant in Germany and distribute them to needy areas, Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson said. Another 2.8 million doses from the company are available for later in the flu season.

"With the latest purchase we will be able to protect more high-risk Americans this flu season in communities across the country," Thompson said at a news conference.

The government will pay Glaxo $7 per dose, Thompson said.

Because the vaccine, called Fluarix, is still considered experimental in the United States, patients will have to sign a form stating they know the vaccine may pose risks.

Food and Drug Administration officials inspected the German plant and are confident the shots are safe and effective, Acting FDA Commissioner Lester Crawford said. The vaccine, approved in 30 countries, does not have the usual full U.S. approval because that would have taken too long, he said.

Regulators have been seeking overseas sources of flu vaccine after losing almost half the country's anticipated supply in October, when one of two major makers, Chiron Corp., lost the license for its British plant because of contamination problems.

The United States now may have as many as 65 million flu vaccine doses for the current flu season. Officials had hoped to vaccinate 100 million Americans, in part to encourage more firms to get back into the U.S. flu vaccine market.

Currently, Aventis-Pasteur, a subsidiary of French drugmaker Sanofi-Aventis, makes flu shots for the U.S. market. Maryland-based MedImmune also makes an inhaled vaccine called FluMist.

Flu vaccine has become a political issue, with Democrats accusing the Republican Bush administration of failing to make sure the country has adequate supplies. Experts say the problem is complicated because the government does not control which companies make vaccine, and demand is unpredictable.

The U.S. government was pursuing 1.2 million more doses from ID Biomedical Corp., but the Canadian firm said Tuesday its remaining supplies will go to the Canadian market.

GlaxoSmithKline, Europe's biggest drugmaker, said it aimed to supply Fluarix to the United States permanently. After upgrading its Dresden, Germany, manufacturing plant, the company said it hopes to supply 10 million to 20 million doses for the 2005-2006 flu season.

Crawford said he expected the United States would have four suppliers by 2007.

Some lawmakers said the administration's decision to import the flu vaccine contradicted its arguments that allowing Americans to buy cheaper medicines from abroad was unsafe.

"Hopefully this action means the administration will work with Congress to pass importation legislation soon, rather than continuing to hide behind false safety claims," Rep. Rahm Emanuel, an Illinois Democrat, said.

The flu kills 36,000 Americans and puts 200,000 in the hospital in an average year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says people over 65, babies between six months and two years, people with chronic conditions and pregnant women should get flu shots every year.

Glaxo shares were up 1.6 percent, or 70 cents, at $45.22 in morning trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:26 pm
Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, Dec. 9, 2004
Media Contact: Anne A. Oplinger
(301) 402-1663
[email protected]

NIAID-Sponsored Clinical Trial Aims to Boost Flu Vaccine Supply

In an effort to expand the supply of flu vaccine available in the United States in the future, a clinical trial of an influenza vaccine widely used in Europe has begun recruiting participants at four sites nationwide. Funding for the study comes from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health, which is collaborating with the vaccine's manufacturer, GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals of Rixensart, Belgium, to conduct the study.

The new trial aims to enroll 1,000 healthy adults by December 23rd to assess the immune response and safety of the vaccine. More than 126 million doses of the test vaccine, Fluarix, have been distributed in more than 70 countries worldwide, demonstrating a similar safety profile as U.S.-licensed injectable flu vaccine, but the Fluarix vaccine has never been tested or licensed for use in the United States.

On December 7, however, Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy G. Thompson announced approval of a plan to import up to 4 million doses of Fluarix to be distributed as an "investigational new drug" (IND). Under an IND, volunteers given the Fluarix vaccine must first sign an informed consent form acknowledging that they are aware of the potential risks and benefits associated with the investigational vaccine.

HHS has taken this step to augment the U.S. influenza vaccine supply because earlier this year one of the two manufacturers of U.S.-licensed injectable flu vaccine was unable to deliver its product.

"Expanding the number of influenza vaccine sources is critical as we ready ourselves for next year's flu season," says NIAID Director Anthony S. Fauci, M.D. "The NIAID-supported Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Units (VTEUs) are structured to perform clinical trials efficiently, enabling us to get needed information rapidly."

"Although the vaccine we are testing has a very long safety record in Europe and other parts of the world, the type of study we are conducting must be done before the vaccine can be licensed for use in the United States," notes lead investigator John Treanor, M.D., of the University of Rochester Medical Center. The Rochester VTEU, in addition to VTEUs in Baltimore, Cincinnati and Houston will be recruiting adult volunteers into the trial.

Four out of every five participants in the new trial will receive Fluarix, while the fifth will receive a placebo. Those receiving placebo vaccine will be offered U.S.-licensed flu vaccine at the conclusion of the month-long study.

Healthy adults between the ages of 18 and 64 who have not received a flu shot this year are eligible. Participants will visit the clinic twice in the course of the trial. The trial will be conducted at the following VTEUs

University of Rochester Medical Center
Cincinnati Children's Hospital
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore
Baylor College of Medicine
NIAID is a component of the National Institutes of Health, an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. NIAID supports basic and applied research to prevent, diagnose and treat infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections, influenza, tuberculosis, malaria and illness from potential agents of bioterrorism. NIAID also supports research on transplantation and immune-related illnesses, including autoimmune disorders, asthma and allergies.
Source
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:33 pm
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/health/10401339.htm

Quote:
SEATTLE - In October and November Americans stood in line for hours to get one of the precious few flu shots. But now that more vaccine is available - with a few million more doses expected from British and German suppliers - demand is dwindling.

Rod Watson had to cancel 1,000 flu-shot clinics in four states when the national vaccine shortage cut off his supply two months ago. Now Watson has flu shots aplenty - and he can't give them away.

Last week, they were giving the flu shots out in my bank!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:56 pm
Quote:
Speed up bird flu vaccine, WHO expert urges
Only two companies developing shots against lethal virus
Updated: 11:29 a.m. ET Oct. 1, 2004

GENEVA - The top World Health Organization (WHO) influenza expert said on Friday drug companies and governments had to speed up production of bird flu vaccines or risk a pandemic which could kill thousands of people...

'Severe obstacles'
Only Aventis Pasteur Inc and Chiron Corp -- with contracts from the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) -- are currently developing a human bird flu vaccine.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6149155/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4067116/

Quote:
WHO warns bird flu could be worse than SARS
Health official says virus could kill millions around world
Updated: 6:01 p.m. ET Nov. 29, 2004

HONG KONG - The bird flu virus is far more lethal than the SARS virus that struck Asia last year and could unleash a pandemic that could kill as many as 50 million people, a World Health Organization official said Monday.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6608053/

Re the "regular" flu shots now being available in the Seattle area - they hadn't been publicized much, so a lot of people weren't aware that they were available, but according to the news reports that I've heard in the past week, more people are starting to get them.

Sorry your son got sick, Phoenix...Hope he's feeling much better, now.
0 Replies