Trump - Gatsby Analogy

Lola

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 07:27 pm
Chris Mathews, as much as he often annoys me, just compared Trump to the Great Gadsby. That's it. Remember Gadsby's fate? Prophetic.

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 07:41 pm
Jay Gatsby? He's more Tom Buchanan.
chai2

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 07:53 pm
@Lola,
So what are you speculating Lola?

That Trump will suffer the same fate?

I'm no Trump supporter, but that could be said about anyone who's held that office.
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Nope. He's Tom's lover's husband. I am afraid I forget her name.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:59 pm
@chai2,
Has anyone who has held the office of president ever planned to arrive at his inauguration in a helicopter? Please.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:42 pm
@Lola,
Not in the US, but in another country, yes.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:13 am
@Lola,
Lola wrote:

Has anyone who has held the office of president ever planned to arrive at his inauguration in a helicopter? Please.

I guess then I'm confused by your first post Lola, as Jay Gatsby's fate was that he was murdered.

What was it that you meant?
dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:35 am
@chai2,
Actually he was wrongly murdered....because Tom Buchanan's lover, (Myrtle! She's Myrtle!). after having been beaten by her husband, attempted to flag down Tom's car to get assistance. The car was, unbeknownst to the lover or her abusive partner, being driven by Daisy Buchanan, who was driving wildly and was accompanied by Jay Gatsby, who had loved her forever....inexplicably.

Daisy killed the woman and drove on, unable to face her action. Jay allowed people to believe he was the driver and probably also the adulterous lover.

The woman's husband then killed Jay.

Daisy and Tom evaded all responsibility....famously "retreating into their money". They are revealed as being as morally bankrupt and empty as their bank accounts are full.

I wonder if Lola is perhaps mistaking Daisy's and Tom's moral and intellectual vapidity and their misuse of unearned and undeserved wealth for Gatsby's uncertain and morally questionable rise and his rather selfless, chivalrous and quixotically nobleish death to protect his questionable Dulcinea?

Who is Trump here? I tend to see Daisy....even Tom worked hard, harsh brute as he was.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:05 am
I'm not sure I ever watched the movie, might get it now to see if any comparison can be made.
contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:36 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I'm not sure I ever watched the movie

Er... it is a book, by a crazy old 1920s dude called F Scott Fitzgerald.
contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:39 am
@Lola,
Lola wrote:
the Great Gadsby. That's it. Remember Gadsby's fate?

His fate was to have the T in his name stolen and a D put in its place? So we will have Donald Drump? It has a kind of ring to it.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:53 am
Donald Drump is a columnist for Jewish Week. There sure are a lot of Google hits for "Donald Drump" where the heading of the article is thus spelled, but in the main text he becomes Trump again. I wonder if it is a meme or just plain mistyping?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:19 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

I would have to agree. There's an immense and insane level of arrogance and self-entitlement to that character that's brimming with Trumpness.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:31 am
@contrex,
I thought I remember it being advertised on HBO, but, no matter, OK. Thanks.
contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:43 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I thought I remember it being advertised on HBO, but, no matter, OK. Thanks.

I should apologise for being an old fart. F Scott Fitzgerald was one of the greatest American writers of the 20th century, and The Great Gatsby was probably his most famous book. It was filmed in 1926, 1949, 1974 (starring Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, and Sam Waterston, with a script by Francis Ford Coppola), and in 2013 starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, and Tobey Maguire. There have also been made-for-TV adaptations and a hip-hop version (!). I saw the 1974 version.
revelette1

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 09:50 am
@contrex,
Robert Redford, I bet that one was good. Usually the books are completely different than the movie. I read the Garden of Good and Evil (I like books like that set in southern settings)and it was completely different than the movie.
dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 04:07 pm
@revelette1,
I think both the Redford version and the latest Luhrmann version pretty much suck. I'd read the book. It's a wonderful book and a short one.
revelette1

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 04:43 pm
@dlowan,
I just used to think he was gorgeous back my mom and aunts liked him. He is not bad now.

Anyway, it is usually the case that movies from books rarely are as good as the books. Probably not too many Anne Rice fans, (I just recently read her latest, it was really good in my opinion, but then I have been told I have awful taste..) but I am scared because I have heard they are thinking of making a series of her Vampire Chronicles. I don't think I could bear to watch it.
dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:15 pm
@revelette1,
Redford is a honey.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:55 pm
Good grief on this thread and the HBO spectacle about J. Gadsby.