My son's first date!

Rae

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:51 pm
Would like to hear from other parents their memories of this event.

My fabulous fifteen year old son got the nerve up to ask a girl to the homecoming dance (which is tonight) and she said yes!

He has rented a classy sedan with a driver and is taking her to one of the fanciest restaurants in our area before the dance.

I'm just so happy for him that I'm busting!

Memories please.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,590 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Lash

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:54 pm
Great googly-moogly! Its a Rae sighting!!!

So happy for you and sweet son! PICTURES!!!!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:58 pm
I like that! 'Great googly moogly'! Not as good as my jesuschristbananas, but all good things come to an end.

Thanks Lash.

I promise to send pictures as soon as I get them back!

I know he's gonna kill me later, but I just had to call his cellphone at 10:30 ~ I was hoping he would answer, but he didn't so I just left a message to have a good time and be himself ~ if she doesn't like him the way he his, then she's not good enough.....for me!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:09 pm
{{{{{{{{{{RAE}}}}}}}}}}. Oh my, it has been so long. My older son has always been very shy, even now at 32, but he has had some wonderful girlfriends. The first prom was fantastic. He looked so handsome and she was glowing.

I can remember my heart feeling like it would burst with love and pride. Big smiles at memories.

Our second son had girls calling when he was jsut 13--"Hi, is Mathew home? This is Sabrina." Or, "Hi, is Mathew there? Tell him Heather called." And on and on.

One thing they have in common is the ability to remain friends after the romance is gone. They both have very good friends that used to be 'girl' friends. Another is that they were and are fine, honest young men who could be trusted. That was a blessing beyond belief. (Not that they didn't do some stupid stuff typical of teenage boys).

Yes, to pics. I almost can feel that old excitement. My heart is with you sweet Rae.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:18 pm
(((((DIANE))))) Very Happy

If I haven't told you lately, Diane, I love you to bits! I so wish I could have made it to Colorado for the gathering, but hope you all know that I was there in spirit. (Now that I'm working two jobs, I shouldn't have an excuse to make it to the next one!)

What really tickled me about Dougy's date is that he asked ME for advice a few weeks ago ~ you have absolutely NO IDEA how proud that made me!

He is such a good boy/man and I hope this young lady realizes what a catch she has in him. But, even if things don't develop further I know he'll remain friends with her.....if you thought I was a friendly spirit, you should really meet my son!

P. S. Just wanted to let you and Dys know that I have a regular customer at the video store who is the proud owner of a sun conure named Buddy. Conures are my favourite birds.....Buddy flies right to me when he comes in the store and today he stayed on my shoulder for almost an hour while his owner shopped for movies. I really should have been a vet.

P. S. S. Hope you all are doing well ~ know that I miss you and think of you all the time!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:22 pm
That is so cool Rae. Despite the fact that I had my first official girlfriend in kindergarten, I was always a shy boy, especially at 15. I wish him all the best! Asking you for advice is also way cool. I can only imagine how tickled pink you were about that!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:26 pm
Beautiful, rae.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:27 pm
Thanks, cav! Good to 'see' you, bye the way!

My dating experiences from teenage years were not good at all mostly due to lack of support from the people I needed it from.

My son won't go through that. He understands how happy and supportive I am of him and he admitted that me being behind him is exactly what he needed.

I'm tellin ya ~ there is not a feeling in this world that even comes close to having your own child trust you and rely on you for advice from your own experiences.

I love my son! Have I mentioned that lately? Laughing
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:29 pm
Thank you, Edgar!

My son knows everyone on A2K by name and he's going to be thrilled that ya'll have wished him so well!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:30 pm
I remember once having my now wife come over to my parents place to stay for a few days, and in the interests of diplomacy, I said we would sleep in separate bedrooms. My mother just laughed and said, "Come on, it's not like we don't know what you're doing, get over it." Laughing
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:31 pm
Kindergarten, can? My frist date wasn't even until I was 18! You're really a stud-muffin, aren't you? :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:32 pm
I even remember her name, oddly enough.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:33 pm
'Get over it' indeed! I was a good girl until I turned 19.

My son has had the fear of God into him ~ we had the whole sex talk before the dance ~ he tolerated me, but listened and took it very well.

I'm too young to be a grandmother!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:34 pm
I remember my first kiss.....Tommy Smith. And I fainted dead away. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:36 pm
Our first date was fairly innocent. We had two different play areas, one for boys, with blocks and toy cars, one for girls with dolls and crap. One day, she asked if I would go play with the dolls...I said "No way." Then she took my hand and said "Please?" Well...how could I resist?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:48 pm
My oldest boy's first prom date was a year older than him, a nice filipino girl. He wrote quite poetically passionate letters to her, and she would respond in kind... But they only went on that one date. He borrowed a tux from his youth leader, who used to play a busboy on the tv show, "Jake and the Fat Man," and owned a lotta suits. The next girl was his "true love," according the the girl and her mother and him for a time, but when the mother told me that she had gotten p/g at 16, and wanted my son to go on a trip with her and her 5 kids (his gf being her oldest,) I refused. They did go to the prom, however, and he rented a suit, since he had grown larger than his former mentor. Shortly after, they had cooled and my son went in the army. When he came home on leave, she had already had another baby with the guy who followed my son as her suitor and was no longer with him.

My second son went only to his senior prom. He'd been a goth boy before and anti-proms and established rituals until then, but switched high schools and with a clean slate, decided to go to a prom. He went with one of our long time best friends who danced hula, and could have been a model for those hawaiian post cards. All the guys, even those who didn't know him wanted introductions to her, but she just blew them all off. He looks totally gq, but dressed in a suit, not a tux, in his picture with her. He had a blast! He really was glad he relented and went!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:51 pm
Cav, your mother sounds sooooo cool.

Rae, everyone who has met your son has been full of praise and struck by his friendliness. BigD and Urs told us about him when we met in Denver, talking about what a great kid he is. Somehow, it doesn't surprise me one bit.

I think Dys and I are about to purchase a Class B camper, RV, what ever they are called. We just might be able to make it out to Florida this winter. We looked today and have almost made up our minds to get it. Yay!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:03 pm
Thud.................
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:03 am
Misti Laughing

Rae

So lovely to see you! Very Happy I'll bet your son & his date look gorgeous on the night! It's hard not to look gorgeous at that age. Smile
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:25 pm
Oh Rae! It's great to "see" you again! What a special event this must be for YOU as well as your son! I remember my first prom. I was 16. My mother took me to this store where they brought dresses out for me to look at. I think she was even more excited about it than I was. I ran across a picture of myself in that first "formal" the other day. I looked like a perfect little peach, ripe for plucking. Laughing So funny to see myself that way.
0 Replies