LOST & MISPLACED A2K people.

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 07:33 am
I must be a newbie noob, next month will only be 17 years for me Razz
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 09:15 am
@blatham,
Blatham- Yup. We met in NY, and you showed me the jewelry store with which you were involved
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 11:44 am
@hingehead,
I got a message EhBeth, and she says she's holding up well, but that the last couple of years had been tough.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 11:55 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

What's missing here, is the question of why all of the long-time members have decided to bugger off?

The answer to that question is not missing: you just posted. Fortunately the other extremists have been on vacation, but the threat of them "turning up" keeps other from returning. Check out the FB A2K, what they are discussing are things you disagreeably disagree with, you know the stuff you **** on here.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 12:37 pm
@Bogulum,
It was great until the Huns showed up.

It was a joint project between NYT and Boston Sun. They had very spotty monitoring. They couldn't figure out how to make income out of it.

After two or three years they pulled the plug.

There were a bunch of Abuzzers who tried to keep it going: Kevin Carlson started like SeattleBuzz (glitter, Frank Apisa and I were there until Kevin got a real job and pulled the plug), Buzzards Roost was started by a member and her name just eludes me today) that she tried to make user friendlier, but I had a lot of trouble navigating it.

But Abuzz had huge membership, was laid out well and very easy to navigate. Some of the problems were that all you needed was an email - fake or real. The star rating system was soooo easy to manipulate.

for some background:

https://www.wired.com/1999/07/new-york-times-buys-abuzz/

https://www.clickz.com/new-york-times-digital-launches-campaign-for-abuzz/

A collection of Abuzz posts
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/library/world/asia/vietnam-abuzz.html
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 12:41 pm
@hightor,
I'm a monitor on DU. There are no racist or right wing owners of DU. Racism and RW talking points will get you hidden or nuked out immediately.

I defy anyone to point out a post anywhere on DU that is Racist or RW.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 12:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, you were on Seattlebuzz!
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 12:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Always a pleasure to see that avatar in the top left corner!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 12:47 pm
@Bogulum,
Were you bogulum, then? I vaguely remember a Snood.
hightor

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 01:42 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
I defy anyone to point out a post anywhere on DU that is Racist or RW.

FFS, I'm not talking about Democratic Underground. If you'd actually read my post you'd see I was talking about "Debate Unlimited" – DU, get it? A British forum which bit the dust in 2013.

And this isn't the first time I explained this to you. Look at our exchanges from April 6, 2020 in your mailbox:

I wrote:
Democratic Underground? Nope.

Debate Unlimited? No longer.

Quote:
Buzzards Roost was started by a member and her name just eludes me today)

That was Magginkat. As I mentioned on Friday.
0 Replies

Bogulum

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 04:16 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I was Snood. Had to take the name Bogulum when I lost my account due to some supposed glitch.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 09:50 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
@blatham,
Blatham- Yup. We met in NY, and you showed me the jewelry store with which you were involved

That was a store Jane and I opened and where we sold the jewelry we were making at the time. I'd forgotten that I'd taken you there.
blatham

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 09:58 pm
@Region Philbis,
Thanks, Region.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2023 05:38 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Frank, you were on Seattlebuzz!

I may have been, but I do not remember. When Abuzz tanked, I think I did try out a few other sites before coming here. I do remember a very deep disappointment after Abuzz went down completely.

I also joined a site called Open Salon, operated by Salon. It was a great site. My sister got me interested in that site...and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Apparently it became a drag on Salon...and they went down. That also was a disappointment.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2023 01:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That was the problem that brought on the dot.com bust in 2000's. They had the popular product, they had an excited user base, but nobody could figure out how to make cash out of it. A lot of companies with huge value had been trading goods and service between each other and put it's trade on the books in a dollar value.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2023 07:52 pm
What ever happened to Chai2?
Her last entry was in 2022 saying that she's in San Miguel Allende in Mexico.
That's a bit disturbing.....let's hope she made it out safely.
hightor

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2023 05:37 am
@CalamityJane,
Every time she shows up she gets harassed and she grew sick of it. She left a link to the argument that started it if you want to dig around.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2023 03:13 pm
@hightor,
Thank you, hightor, I had no idea!
0 Replies

Bogulum

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2023 08:51 am
It's been so long since I've seen anything by, or about her that I'm almost afraid to ask. But what ever happened to Sozobe?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2023 12:02 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
... If I can clasp unto my bosom the person to whom I am responding as an equal, all is possible.

Don't try it, Bernard! Laughing
0 Replies