LOST & MISPLACED A2K people.

cavfancier

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:30 am
Anyway, you revived it msolga, so no worries here. Send me an e-mail if you want. I like e-mails.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:33 am
I will, cav! You can tell me about sumac, maybe? I have a batch of it & have no idea of what to do with the stuff in everyday cooking. Maybe I should start a thread? Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:35 am
AHA! Good for you msolga.

Setanta is fine and still in contact with his sweetie pie. I saw SCoates somewhere, but can't remember exactly where.

I always miss Gautam when he's not here and I especially wish that he'd write more original stuff.(hear that Mr. G.?)

hiama is the one that worries me. He was due to have surgery and not one thing has been heard from him since.

Rae is soooooo busy working, that I think her time is limited.

Phoenix, I agree about the politics, but I guess all seem concerned about the upcoming elections since they have affect on practically everyone here.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:35 am
Sure, I'll dig up some info. It's not something I use really, but I'm certain I can find something.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:39 am
Thanks, cav. Nothing urgent, though. I was just wondering, as I bought some. My only knowledge of sumac (or "sumah") is in middle eastern cooking.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:42 am
Thanks for that, Letty. It's good to know these things! Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:42 am
This looked interesting:

Sumac Crusted Lamb Loins
Yield: 6

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Ingredients:

Sumac Crusted Lamb Loins

3 tbsp crushed sumac
salt
pepper
1 x 4 lb. lamb loin
2 tbsp olive oil
Caul fat to cover

Directions:

Sumac Crusted Lamb Loins

Season the lamb loin with salt and pepper, and then press the sumac over the skin to form a crust. Cover with the caul fat. Heat the olive oil in a pan and sear the lamb, sumac-side first. Move the loin to the oven to finish cooking for about 15 minutes. Remove the lamb from the oven and allow it to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with roasted baby vegetables, fresh basil and lentils.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:44 am
Why thank you, cav! I'll try that. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:44 am
Set is around.

I may no longer be after tomorrow - you know, slashing wrists in the bath and all....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:47 am
Er - caul fat?

I only know a caul as a part of the embryonic membrane which sometimes covers the head of a fetus at birth....

Dinna know it had fat - and where the smeg do you GET it?

Also - that dish appears to be cannibalistic - crushed SUMAC???!!!!!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:50 am

anybody heard from SealPoet lately?
msolga

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:51 am
We may have to start a missing SUMAC thread, Deb! Laughing

Don't do anything foolish after tomorrow. (Ha! Listen whose speaking!) If the wrong side wins we can all sit back & INSIST that ALL election promises be kept! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:53 am
dlowan wrote:
Set is around.

I may no longer be after tomorrow - you know, slashing wrists in the bath and all....

Have you arranged for someone to scrub up immediately? The tub is porous, and blood stains, once settled will negatively impact the resale value of your property.....
0 Replies

Letty

Region, I was asking about sealpoet some time back. Don't you Boston folks know anything?
0 Replies

msolga

Region Philbis wrote:
anybody heard from SealPoet lately?

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him around, either. Where are you, Seal Poet?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:58 am
I think Seal Poet is working as a volunteer for the reelect George W. Bush campaign.

( that should bring him out of hiding )
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:59 am
dlowan wrote:
Set is around.

Uh oh. Bunny is in crisis. I think we need an intervention. You can air your troubles here, or if you prefer, pop into the virtual pub. Erm, I just checked the last couple of posts in that thread...maybe you should just vent here.

Moving on, Caul fat: The lacy fatty membrane encasing the internal organs of an animal, pork caul is often used for wrapping faggots or patés. 'Faggots' is not what it seems, it's just a little sausage...oh crap, that came out awkward as well. Anyway, it's one of those odd Brit terms for food that North Americans still wonder about.

Faggots

Faggots, or savoury ducks as they are called in some parts of Britain are thought to be of Roman origin. Faggots can be left until cold, if desired, then broken apart and reheated in a tin, covered with foil, in a moderate oven for 25 minutes.

INGREDIENTS: Pigs liver - 450 g (1lb), sliced, Onion - 1, medium, quartered, White bread - 110g (4 oz), Shredded suet - 50g (2 oz), Dried sage - * tsp.

COOKING: 1. Pre heat oven to 190C / 375F / Gas 5.
2. Coarsely mince the liver, bread and onion together into a basin; add the suet and sage and mix well.
3. Place the mixture in a shallow 18 cm (7 inch) square tin; level the top with the back of a spoon and cook in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and cut into 9 squares.

This recipe does not include caul fat. However, caul fat is readily availible at a a good butcher shop. Sometimes it is sold frozen, like sausage casings, but if you ever plan on using it, you can call ahead to get it in fresh. Pork caul fat is most widely used. I can't recall ever using human fetus membrane.....

And, where is Sumac anyway?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:01 am
Yeah, where IS Sumac?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:02 am
... and jjorge?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:02 am
Quote:
Don't you Boston folks know anything?
we know of baseball & baked beans -- all else is insignificant...
0 Replies