LOST & MISPLACED A2K people.

hingehead

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2023 07:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm probably a snob, but 'long term member' to me means you were on Abuzz.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2023 07:24 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
That's not snobbish at all, especially since the first and long time members all came from Abuzz.
Bogulum

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2023 09:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I have vague memories of something called Abuzz. I think I may have come here from there, but couldn’t swear to it in court.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2023 09:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

hingehead wrote:
That's not snobbish at all, especially since the first and long time members all came from Abuzz.

Right you are, Walter. I was an Abuzz guy back in the day. I resisted coming over here at first, because I thought Abuzz was gonna weather the storm. But apparently the NY Times and the Boston Globe figured they could use the few bucks they put into it...in a better way.
hightor

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2023 02:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The demise of Abuzz led to a bunch of new forums. A2K was the first and started while Abuzz was still limping along with no moderation – it was a zoo! There was "SeattleBuzz," cobalt's "BlueBuzz", and magginkat's "Buzzard's Roost", to name a few. I wasn't that active on A2K in the early days, having landed in an unrelated British forum called "Debate Unlimited" that Rama Fuchs (from Abuzz) directed me to. DU had some really interesting people but it fell apart when the owner made a 180º turn and became a white supremacist.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 06:52 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

The demise of Abuzz led to a bunch of new forums. A2K was the first and started while Abuzz was still limping along with no moderation – it was a zoo! There was "SeattleBuzz," cobalt's "BlueBuzz", and magginkat's "Buzzard's Roost", to name a few. I wasn't that active on A2K in the early days, having landed in an unrelated British forum called "Debate Unlimited" that Rama Fuchs (from Abuzz) directed me to. DU had some really interesting people but it fell apart when the owner made a 180º turn and became a white supremacist.

Debate Unlimited rings a bell for some reason. I never joined any other forums when Abuzz was in its downward spiral. For whatever reason, I was buying into the notion that Robert might have helped the "spiraling" by posting some of the garbage that was being slung. I was livid at the prospect of losing Abuzz, which had become one of the greatest experiences I've ever lived. I finally became convinced there was no truth to the rumors aboujt Robert (which had circulated in some Abuzz conversations) and decided to come over here.

I'm glad I did. I have taken a couple of unforced leaves...to straighten out my head. The idea of taking a vacation from forums at times (especially during golf season) has a lot of appeal.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 09:17 am
@Builder,
Quote:
all of the long-time members have decided to bugger off
yeah, you should totally join them...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 01:43 pm
@hingehead,
Still have my Abuzz pen. It hasn't worked in years but I'm keeping the husk. ;-)
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 02:15 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

It seems I've been around for 19 years. I think that may qualify as a "long term member."

You Abuzz folks qualify for "Ancient Member" status!
blatham

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 02:30 pm
@Ticomaya,
Gentlemen! (and Gentle-slightly less than-Men)!

Let us strive to do away with such elitist categories of status and welcome all as equals. If I can clasp unto my bosom the person to whom I am responding as an equal, all is possible.
Bogulum

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 03:15 pm
@blatham,
Bosom clasping is gross
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 07:41 pm
I'll have my 20 year anniversary next year, just like Tico!
Will I get a Cadillac Eldorado or some steak knives?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 06:17 am
I think I recall logging in on Abuzz in 1999. Is that possible? Or was it 2001? Did it exist then? Did I exist then? Oh look, a squirrel!
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 06:24 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Is that possible?
yup -- the NY Times acquired Abuzz in 1999...
0 Replies

Bogulum

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 06:30 am
Does anyone remember me from Abuzz? I’m having trouble remembering when I started doing this.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 06:51 am
I was an Abuzzer. When A2K started, I jumped right in. We had such a wonderful group. We met each other all over the country, and developed a really close group.....interesting and intelligent.

I always posted a lot of questions and topics. I find now that the group has changed a lot, and I don't post very often. At my stage of life, I have no interest in dating and family problems. Been there....done that. I do not want to get into political brouhahas.

I really miss the "old" A2K!
blatham

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 06:51 am
@Bogulum,
Quote:
Bosom clasping is gross

I've never found it anything but delightful.
blatham

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 06:57 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
I really miss the "old" A2K!

Hi girl. You were at one of our parties in New York, weren't you? I've never sat down and counted the number of Abuzz/A2K people I've met in person but it must be about 40. It has been a great crowd and feel very fortunate to have been part of the community.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 07:00 am
@blatham,

a good resource for list-compiling

https://able2know.org/topic/88376-1
Bogulum

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 07:20 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Bosom clasping is gross

I've never found it anything but delightful.

I always suspected you were a bosom clasper
0 Replies