roger

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 12:33 am
@cherrie,
Yeah, him too.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 05:36 am
@glitterbag,
He left shortly after the Brexit vote. If I'd voted leave I'd probably not want to show my face either.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 07:27 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I apologize, I wasn't including you.

Not sure what your apologies are for but they're accepted all the same.

I still think the problem is not toxicity but more a lack of originality, surprise, novelty, or contemporary relevance in the average a2k post. Mine included. I used to post more interesting stuff 2 or 3 years ago, I think.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 10:35 am
@Olivier5,
I also believe the times have changed. Some years ago, we used to have meets in different cities, and people traveled from Europe to the USA, and some met in Europe such as London. Those events don't happen any more that I'm aware of. I'm just glad, I was able to participate in some of them to meet people face-to-face. One event was held at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street in London, a popular drinking hole that was frequented by people like Charles Dickens and Dr Johnson. I remember when I visited Germany, Walter picked me up in Amsterdam, and we stopped at some interesting places along the way for meals and snacks; one by a lake. Once on the autobahn, Walter stepped on the peddle, and we were going pretty fast. Walter and Francis traveled from Europe to come to San Francisco on one a2k meet. George O'Brien hosted us at the yacht club on the San Francisco Bay overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz Island. Those are great memories. My wife and I are going down to San Diego in September, and Jane German let us know we could meet up at Old Town where we are staying. I met up with Francisco in Mexico City on my way to Cuba some years ago, and he became my guide to show me around his home city. He took me to where Frida Kahlo lived, and how she was inspired by the nature and culture of Mexico. Her self portrait is one of her popular paintings. Francisco also took me to the university where he taught for ten years. I've had the opportunity to meet so many a2kers over the years, I only wish there were many more.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 11:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
Okay, so why not try and organize another meet up somewhere?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 11:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

One event was held at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street in London, a popular drinking hole that was frequented by people like Charles Dickens and Dr Johnson.

Have you got shares in this place? You keep mentioning it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 11:33 am
@izzythepush,
It's my senility.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 11:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
I wasn't suggesting such a thing, it's just that whenever London is metioned you talk about that pub, not any of the other sites associated with London, just that pub.

To be honest, I've never been there, but it sounds like a lot of pubs in the smoke, they've all been around for a long time. we like our drinking establishments ancient.

I'm just as bad, I bang on about this pub, which is one of the scenes in Shakespeare's Henry V, (allegedly.)

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/09/c6/7e/c4/the-red-lion-pub.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 11:48 am
@izzythepush,
I mention it, because not only does it have great history, but it's one-of-a-kind in this world. It's like the oldest pub in Gibraltar, where I've enjoyed a pint or two. https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=oldest+pub+in+gibraltar&fr=yhs-pty-pty_converter&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_converter&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fn7.alamy.com%2Fzooms%2Fb7c354542c3c4efe9ac2774b4f5db765%2Fthe-star-bar-very-old-gibraltar-pub-f0h2py.jpg#id=0&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fn7.alamy.com%2Fzooms%2Fb7c354542c3c4efe9ac2774b4f5db765%2Fthe-star-bar-very-old-gibraltar-pub-f0h2py.jpg&action=click
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 12:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I mention it, because not only does it have great history, but it's one-of-a-kind in this world.

I dunno about that. Here is a list of thirteen of the best historical pubs in London. Your pub in number seven on the list.

https://secretldn.com/oldest-pubs-in-london/
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 01:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Choice is very subjective. #7 is fine with me! https://charlesdickenspage.com/pennell-cheshire_cheese.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 02:23 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I still think the problem is not toxicity but more a lack of originality, surprise, novelty, or contemporary relevance in the average a2k post. Mine included. I used to post more interesting stuff 2 or 3 years ago, I think.

You are probably right. I'm usually on at night in western America, and on active threads whole pages are filled with posts from one two three members. Each and every one is as totally predictable as the last.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 02:36 pm
@roger,
Sounds familiar.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 10:50 am
Quote:
No, but a lot of people are full of **** here.
. How about some names?
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
Sturgis

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 01:38 pm
@coldjoint,
I know you need to get a new shtick.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 03:56 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
I know you need to get a new shtick.

Sorry, you just do not know everything, and that is one of those things you don't in the everything world.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 04:01 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Sorry, you just do not know everything, and that is one of those things you don't in the everything world.
CLUE: That statement only proves your own ignorance. BTW, what is the "everything world?" LOL