I'm Wrong I'm Mistaken I Don't Care I Don't Apologize

cavfancier

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:59 pm
When I took a closer look at the photo from the article of Bush being greeted by Barney, the first thing that came to my mind was a huge imaginary rabbit.
0 Replies

coachryan

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:33 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Interesting definitions you use, considering you were being snotty about "bright educated folks". Is it okay if I use these published definitions instead? :wink:

Noun 1. psychopath - someone with a sociopathic personality; a person with an antisocial personality disorder (`psychopath' was once widely used but has now been superseded by `sociopath')

Noun 1. sociopath - someone with a sociopathic personality; a person with an antisocial personality disorder (`psychopath' was once widely used but has now been superseded by `sociopath')

I assume you won't mind if I contradict your "published definitions" with a couple of my own, And I'll supply links as well.

Quote:
Definition
sociopath
noun
a person who is completely unable or unwilling to behave in a way that is acceptable to society:
I'm telling you he's a complete/total sociopath.
Cambridge Dictionary: Sociopath

Definition
psychopath
noun
1 (INFORMAL psycho) someone who is very mentally ill and dangerous

2 SPECIALIZED in psychology, a person who has no feeling for other people, does not think about the future and does not feel bad about anything they have done in the past

adjective (INFORMAL psycho)
A series of unsolved murders on the island has raised fears that a psychopathic serial killer is on the loose.
Cambridge Dictionaries:Psychopath

Under these definitions it appears you're both wrong; however by this definition it seems that Bush is actually a PSYCHOPATH (...and does not feel bad about anything they have done in the past).

So yeah, this guy scares me...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:37 pm
coachryan wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Interesting definitions you use, considering you were being snotty about "bright educated folks". Is it okay if I use these published definitions instead? :wink:

Noun 1. psychopath - someone with a sociopathic personality; a person with an antisocial personality disorder (`psychopath' was once widely used but has now been superseded by `sociopath')

Noun 1. sociopath - someone with a sociopathic personality; a person with an antisocial personality disorder (`psychopath' was once widely used but has now been superseded by `sociopath')

I assume you won't mind if I contradict your "published definitions" with a couple of my own, And I'll supply links as well.

Quote:
Definition
sociopath
noun
a person who is completely unable or unwilling to behave in a way that is acceptable to society:
I'm telling you he's a complete/total sociopath.
Cambridge Dictionary: Sociopath

Definition
psychopath
noun
1 (INFORMAL psycho) someone who is very mentally ill and dangerous

2 SPECIALIZED in psychology, a person who has no feeling for other people, does not think about the future and does not feel bad about anything they have done in the past

adjective (INFORMAL psycho)
A series of unsolved murders on the island has raised fears that a psychopathic serial killer is on the loose.
Cambridge Dictionaries:Psychopath

Under these definitions it appears you're both wrong; however by this definition it seems that Bush is actually a PSYCHOPATH (...and does not feel bad about anything they have done in the past).

Utter nonsense.

Get a grip. Please.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:02 pm
coachryan wrote:
You bolded that like my word wasn't good enough for you. I'm hurt. Here you are.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Sociopath

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/psychopath

coachryan wrote:
Under these definitions it appears you're both wrong;
While the definitions you supplied are not identical, they nevertheless do nothing to nullify any statement that I've made. Idea

coachryan wrote:
however by this definition it seems that Bush is actually a PSYCHOPATH (...and does not feel bad about anything they have done in the past).

Finn is a wise man. He's given you sound advice. :wink:
0 Replies

coachryan

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 01:19 am
Sound advise would have shown me where I was wrong, and pointed out a more prudent path to take in the future.

Statements like:

Quote:
Utter nonsense.

Get a grip. Please.

Are simply commands with no arguments supporting them. With all due respect to Finn, he has made some very good points in other posts, this was not one of them.

Quote:
You bolded that like my word wasn't good enough for you. I'm hurt. Here you are.

This is an internet discussion group. I take anything I read with a grain of salt, especially without at least a link to support it. Nothing personal. :wink:

Quote:
While the definitions you supplied are not identical, they nevertheless do nothing to nullify any statement that I've made.

Your argument with BPB was over whether Bush was insane (psychopathic) or Sociopathic. You argued that the terms both meant the same thing, while I argued that they don't. This is a true or false argument, one of the few cases where one of us must be right and one of us must be wrong. Either the two terms mean the same thing or they don't.

Personally, I suspect that neither of our sources are wholly correct, and it will take a psychologist/psychiatrist to determine which of us is right.

On a more personal note: let me know next time You're in WI, I grew up in GB and am a "Cheesehead" myself. The first round is on me Very Happy
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:01 am
My definitions came from my friend Tom, a practicing pscychologist, well respected by his colleagues and opne of the smartest people I know. He's been practicing 30 years.

He would call Finns response, because he's so knowledgeable simplistic and adversarial. Funny, I'm an ignorant lout and that's what I thought.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:09 am
For the record, I am still just being snotty. :wink:
coachryan wrote:
Quote:
While the definitions you supplied are not identical, they nevertheless do nothing to nullify any statement that I've made.

Your argument with BPB was over whether Bush was insane (psychopathic) or Sociopathic. You argued that the terms both meant the same thing, while I argued that they don't.
I argued no such thing. In fact; you could substitute your definitions for mine without changing the thrust of my arguement whatsoever. Look closely; and you will see where you made your error.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I find it hard to believe a group of bright educated folks like yourselves thnk that because I think bush is a sociopath that means I think he's insane.......I never said that.....
Laughing "sociopath" is hardly the biggest dig you've used on Bush's mental competence, Bear. Besides, Sociopath is little more than a kinder, gentler way of saying psychopath... which is indeed a description of a mental disorder. I suspect "insane" may be a more loosely defined term than your assessment calls for as well. What did you hope to accomplish with this wordplay anyway?

As you can see; nothing I said ceases to be true when you swap definitions. Idea

coachryan wrote:
On a more personal note: let me know next time You're in WI, I grew up in GB and am a "Cheesehead" myself. The first round is on me Very Happy
Be careful what you wish for. :wink: How agonizing was last night's game? I don't recall ever seeing so many leave so early. I don't understand why Sherman gives up so easily... what difference does it make how much we lose by?. We need Grady back bad. The interceptions bother me not at all. I've been hoping Rossly would man-up for a long time. I hope that doesn't discourage him. Slowik shouldn't be blamed at all with all those injuries on D. He's in a tough spot.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:25 am
GB's defense is made of swiss cheese. What's the deal?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:28 am
A $h!t-load of injuries (not to mention losing our best Corner to unhappiness), that's all. Could happen to any team.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:08 pm
coachryan wrote:
Sound advise would have shown me where I was wrong, and pointed out a more prudent path to take in the future.

Statements like:

Quote:
Utter nonsense.

Get a grip. Please.

Are simply commands with no arguments supporting them. With all due respect to Finn, he has made some very good points in other posts, this was not one of them.

Quote:

This is an internet discussion group. I take anything I read with a grain of salt, especially without at least a link to support it. Nothing personal. :wink:

Quote:

Your argument with BPB was over whether Bush was insane (psychopathic) or Sociopathic. You argued that the terms both meant the same thing, while I argued that they don't. This is a true or false argument, one of the few cases where one of us must be right and one of us must be wrong. Either the two terms mean the same thing or they don't.

Personally, I suspect that neither of our sources are wholly correct, and it will take a psychologist/psychiatrist to determine which of us is right.

Irrespective of any debate concerning the definitions of "psychopath," and "sociopath," the suggestion that George Bush is an example of either of these conditions is utter nonsense.

As to a more prudent path you might take in the future, get a grip and don't allow your political inclinations to override your intellect.

By the way, "Get a grip. Please," is a request, not a command.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:23 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
My definitions came from my friend Tom, a practicing pscychologist, well respected by his colleagues and opne of the smartest people I know. He's been practicing 30 years.

He would call Finns response, because he's so knowledgeable simplistic and adversarial. Funny, I'm an ignorant lout and that's what I thought.

Leave it to a psychologist (or an ignorant lout) to mistake elementary for simplistic. No one has ever lost money betting on a psychologist to choose the obscure over the lucid.

Actually he would be right, though, if he termed my response adversarial. I do and will continue to oppose anyone who would argue that George Bush (or John Kerry, Howard Dean, Ted Kennedy, or John Edwards for that matter) is a psychopath or sociopath. Being able to express a ridiculous contention in seemingly intelligent phraseology makes it no less ridiculous.
Clever perhaps, but no less ridiculous.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:27 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I do and will continue to oppose anyone who would argue that George Bush (or John Kerry, Howard Dean, Ted Kennedy, or John Edwards for that matter) is a psychopath or sociopath.

But, do you agree that if any of them were to ignore the rules of a debate previously agreed upon by him, he should apologize for his mistake? Do you think that if a person, being human and subject to the human errors all men make, if asked to come up with 3, should at least recall having made 1 at some point in his life? Particularly when one was made within the past 90 minutes??? Confused
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:57 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Leave it to a psychologist (or an ignorant lout) to mistake elementary for simplistic. No one has ever lost money betting on a psychologist to choose the obscure over the lucid.

Actually he would be right, though, if he termed my response adversarial. I do and will continue to oppose anyone who would argue that George Bush (or John Kerry, Howard Dean, Ted Kennedy, or John Edwards for that matter) is a psychopath or sociopath. Being able to express a ridiculous contention in seemingly intelligent phraseology makes it no less ridiculous.

struck a little nerve there huh Finn? I may be an ignorant lout....you may be a whiny little girl....no one really knows for sure huh? We'll just have to let others form their own opinions....cheer Very Happy s...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:06 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

struck a little nerve there huh Finn? I may be an ignorant lout....you may be a whiny little girl....no one really knows for sure huh? We'll just have to let others form their own opinions....cheer Very Happy s...

Not at all bipo. An old friend such as you can't possibly strike one of my nerves.

"Ignorant lout" was your own choice for a self descriptor. Who am I to argue with A2K's own Rock Star?

"Whiny little girl." Now that is a clever insult. Your rapier like wit is just too sharp to take on bipo. What's next? Oh, I know, something to do with "boogers," "poop," or "sociopath" (because the smartest guy you know likes to use that one). I beg for mercy.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:10 pm
My Friend Finn said

Who am I to argue with A2K's own Rock Star?

Who indeed? Let's not get snippy when we're actually in agreement. Have a good night and get some rest. Big debate tomorrow. :wink:

PS don't beg...not masculine....
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:34 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
My Friend Finn said

Who indeed? Let's not get snippy when we're actually in agreement. Have a good night and get some rest. Big debate tomorrow. :wink:

Interestingly enough, New Age/Tired Old Hippie Bipo resorts to taunts and insults that hinge upon sexist presumptions and stereotypes.

Thus sprach bipo: You are girly. You are not masculine.

Liberals = Hypocrisy.

This is a mathematical constant.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:41 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
My Friend Finn said

Interestingly enough, New Age/Tired Old Hippie Bipo resorts to taunts and insults that hinge upon sexist presumptions and stereotypes.

Thus sprach bipo: You are girly. You are not masculine.

Liberals = Hypocrisy.

This is a mathematical constant.

When you're on the playground....speak playgroundese......it's like spooning out chum for big fish.....they're unable to resist the bait......case in point this post.......
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:45 am
this is not Abuzz and I'm not being very civil so I quit this exchange.

I still think that bush is too arrogant and short sighted, filled with the pride of the immature, to even consider he might have made a mistake, much less apologize for one.

The fact that his response to the question got spun into a defene of his big iraq adventure however, shows that he, on some level, understands where his biggest errors lie, even though he will not accept or admit to them.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 02:50 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I do and will continue to oppose anyone who would argue that George Bush (or John Kerry, Howard Dean, Ted Kennedy, or John Edwards for that matter) is a psychopath or sociopath.

But, do you agree that if any of them were to ignore the rules of a debate previously agreed upon by him, he should apologize for his mistake? Do you think that if a person, being human and subject to the human errors all men make, if asked to come up with 3, should at least recall having made 1 at some point in his life? Particularly when one was made within the past 90 minutes??? Confused

This issue on Bush apologizing for or admitting mistakes has become a chidlish game.

Liberals keep insisting that Bush admit to mistakes for no other reason than it irks them that he will not, and Bush refuses to because he doesn't want to give in to them.

Its incredible to me that anyone might truly think that Bush doesn't believe he has made mistakes or has never admitted to making a mistake.

It is not unreasonable for Bush to believe that his answering this question

1) Will not change the questioner's overall assessment of him.

2) Will likely be used against him.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 03:02 pm
as a dog returns to it's own vomit.....
0 Replies