I'm Wrong I'm Mistaken I Don't Care I Don't Apologize

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:26 pm
How old are you Mr. (sort of) President?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041007/D85IO17G0.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,301 • Replies: 79
No top replies

eoe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 08:39 am
What a disgrace.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 08:42 am
I am just waiting for the spin from the right...
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:28 am
Maybe he was taught this maxim, "Success requires no apologies while failure permits no alibis?"

Or maybe he's been coached by a lawyer... Confused They have a saying, something about when you are right, drive that home, but when you are wrong pound your fists and distract the opposition... Joe, Finn, Jespah, Debra, somebody must've heard that maxim besides me, and I know I'm not quoting it right... Can anyone supply the correct maxim? Confused
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:51 am
willow_tl wrote:
I am just waiting for the spin from the right...

I don't know if this qualifies as spin or not, but I don't have a problem with the statement, because I never believed it was all about finding WMDs from the start and I don't think the Bush Adminstration believed it was either.

I have written on several occasions that I fault the Administration for framing the invasion almost entirely in terms of WMD stockpiles.

First of all I believe they should have trusted the American public to be able to understand and appreciate the broader strategic and moral reasons for the invasion. They did not, and instead focused on the topic that could generate the best soundbites.

Secondly, they put all of their eggs in one basket (WMDs) and, as is often the case when this mistake is made, they lost almost all of their eggs when the basket fell.

Even if one believes George W Bush is an utter moron (a preposterous, but, sadly, prevalent opinion) surely you will agree that he is not surrounded by an entire bank of advisors who are all utter morons.

There was, no doubt, some manipulation of the intelligence in the sense of playing up some findings and downplaying others, but I find it impossible to believe that Bush, let alone his suspected puppeteers would invade Iraq almost solely on the basis of WMDs when they knew fairly clearly that no such WMDs existed.

Instead, I believe they really did believe that American troops were going to discover WMD stockpiles - hell, so did most of the world. I'm sure that no one was more agitated by the absence of WMDs than George Bush.

So, if one believes, as I do, that there were valid reasons to invade Iraq, beyond WMDs and that the Administration believed the same, then the failure to find WMDs does not mean the invasion was a failure.

Having put such a focus on WMDs, the Administration has placed itself in the tight spot in which it now resides. It wasn't necessary. They made a mistake, not in invading Iraq, but in the manner in which they developed the support of the American people. This lack of trust in the citizenry is disturbing and would factor more greatly in my voting decision this November if I thought the opposing candidate was worth consideration, but he is not.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:55 am
Very well said, Finn.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:59 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
They made a mistake, not in invading Iraq, but in the manner in which they developed the support of the American people. This lack of trust in the citizenry is disturbing and would factor more greatly in my voting decision this November if I thought the opposing candidate was worth consideration, but he is not.

So, do you trust the president and his advisors to have your best interests at heart, Finn? Or is having an agenda you agree with in part enough of a reason for you to continue to support Bush and his cronies? Confused Given that they have a record now of saying what is expedient to get their agenda through?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:05 am
princesspupule wrote:
Maybe he was taught this maxim, "Success requires no apologies while failure permits no alibis?"

Or maybe he's been coached by a lawyer... Confused They have a saying, something about when you are right, drive that home, but when you are wrong pound your fists and distract the opposition... Joe, Finn, Jespah, Debra, somebody must've heard that maxim besides me, and I know I'm not quoting it right... Can anyone supply the correct maxim? Confused

"Success requires no apologies; failure permits no alibis."
Napoleon Hill
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:07 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
princesspupule wrote:
Can anyone supply the correct maxim? Confused

"Success requires no apologies; failure permits no alibis."
Napoleon Hill

No, no, no, silly; the other one! It's something they cover in law studies and pertains to how you present your case, so also good for all debaters to know. Wink The part I remember from it had the idea that you pound your fists to distract. I was thinking that George's behavior during his second debate was cut from that cloth since it was absurd and distracted his audience. Forget about it stretching the rules for debate decorum to their limit (which was the gist of the argument for ascribing to the maxim I have forgotten. Embarrassed )
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:41 am
I can't trust any leader who approves making war on such flimsy grounds.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 04:50 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
They made a mistake, not in invading Iraq, but in the manner in which they developed the support of the American people. This lack of trust in the citizenry is disturbing and would factor more greatly in my voting decision this November if I thought the opposing candidate was worth consideration, but he is not.

So, do you trust the president and his advisors to have your best interests at heart, Finn? Or is having an agenda you agree with in part enough of a reason for you to continue to support Bush and his cronies? Confused Given that they have a record now of saying what is expedient to get their agenda through?

I do trust the Bush Administration to have the best interests of the country at heart. I would trust a Kerry Administration to have the best interests of the country at heart.

I don't doubt the intentions of either of these men. What I have strong doubts about is Kerry's agenda for serving the interests of the country and the means by which he will advance that agenda.

I don't believe any administration has been or ever will be completely honest with the American people. Perhaps someday, a Saint will run for president, but I doubt it.

Bush is, by no means, the perfect president, but he is, by far, the better choice among the two.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 07:22 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
princesspupule wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

I do trust the Bush Administration to have the best interests of the country at heart. I would trust a Kerry Administration to have the best interests of the country at heart.

I don't doubt the intentions of either of these men. What I have strong doubts about is Kerry's agenda for serving the interests of the country and the means by which he will advance that agenda.

I don't believe any administration has been or ever will be completely honest with the American people. Perhaps someday, a Saint will run for president, but I doubt it.

Bush is, by no means, the perfect president, but he is, by far, the better choice among the two.

But Finn, he's quick to lose his temper. Didn't you notice the way he was jumping up and down irate in the second debate? Angry over the questions, it almost seemed. Confused That sort of behavior is why he couldn't wait to invade Iraq. He's a loose cannon, Finn, and that's dangerous in a leader of a nation. Sad What do you see in his behavior that makes you think he deserves a second term? Confused I don't necessarily want a saint to run our country, but I would like a rational thinker and a reasonable man who can show diplomacy rather than knee-jerk reactions. Don't you want that? Don't you see that as important in a president? Confused
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:22 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
princesspupule wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

But Finn, he's quick to lose his temper. Didn't you notice the way he was jumping up and down irate in the second debate? Angry over the questions, it almost seemed. Confused That sort of behavior is why he couldn't wait to invade Iraq. He's a loose cannon, Finn, and that's dangerous in a leader of a nation. Sad What do you see in his behavior that makes you think he deserves a second term? Confused I don't necessarily want a saint to run our country, but I would like a rational thinker and a reasonable man who can show diplomacy rather than knee-jerk reactions. Don't you want that? Don't you see that as important in a president? Confused

There are worse things that a man can do than interrupt Charlie Gibson.

We disagree if you think he his irrational and unreasonable , and a president who dismisses diplomacy.

If he were truly a loose cannon, then why hasn't he ordered strategic bombing of the nuclear facilities of North Korea or Iraq, let alone launching all out war on these countries? Why didn't he use military force to punish Syria when it became clear that it was harboring fleeing members of Iraq's Baath party? We had the troops there, his blood was up, and Syria was defying him. Surely it would be rational to expect an irrational man to react with extreme actions in such a situation.

How did we manage to put together the multi-lateral talks with North Korea if not through the use of diplomacy? Do you think he called the leaders of each nation and told them they had better send someone to the talks or we would nuke them in the morning?

Does an irrational president who rejects diplomacy and reacts automatically, engineer yet another UN Security Counsel resolution against Iraq (an a unanimous one at that) before taking the step to go to war?

I do see rational thinking and a willingness to talk before fighting as required traits in a president and I believe Bush has them. What you are drawing is a fairly ridiculous cartoon of the man, based on debate responses which were, deliberately, infused with emotion.

credible accounts have Kerry angrily snapping at a secret service man on the ski slopes. Irrational? Quick tempered? Unfit to serve? I don't think so, do you?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:47 pm
of course I do, I am a liberal not a democrat. kerry is only slight less a neocon than bush. the invasion of iraq was stupid from the git go.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:56 pm
princesspupule wrote:

You know people said this very same thing about Regan when we walked out on talks with Russia, and look what happened there. Russia fell and Regan was the reason.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:05 pm
dyslexia wrote:
of course I do, I am a liberal not a democrat. kerry is only slight less a neocon than bush. the invasion of iraq was stupid from the git go.

Well dys the question was directed to the princess, but appreciate your answer. Who will you vote for come 11/2?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:06 pm
at this point in time, unknown.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:22 pm
Baldimo wrote:

You know people said this very same thing about Regan when we walked out on talks with Russia, and look what happened there. Russia fell and Regan was the reason.

Ehm, what? Reagan the reason for Soviet Union to collapse? Really? Now that's news to me!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:23 pm
Really? You must not have been paying attention.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:09 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
There are worse things that a man can do than interrupt Charlie Gibson.

We disagree if you think he his irrational and unreasonable , and a president who dismisses diplomacy.

If he were truly a loose cannon, then why hasn't he ordered strategic bombing of the nuclear facilities of North Korea or Iraq, let alone launching all out war on these countries? Why didn't he use military force to punish Syria when it became clear that it was harboring fleeing members of Iraq's Baath party? We had the troops there, his blood was up, and Syria was defying him. Surely it would be rational to expect an irrational man to react with extreme actions in such a situation.

How did we manage to put together the multi-lateral talks with North Korea if not through the use of diplomacy? Do you think he called the leaders of each nation and told them they had better send someone to the talks or we would nuke them in the morning?

Does an irrational president who rejects diplomacy and reacts automatically, engineer yet another UN Security Counsel resolution against Iraq (an a unanimous one at that) before taking the step to go to war?

I do see rational thinking and a willingness to talk before fighting as required traits in a president and I believe Bush has them. What you are drawing is a fairly ridiculous cartoon of the man, based on debate responses which were, deliberately, infused with emotion.

Have you ever heard of a book called Bush on the Couch, by Justin Frank? http://www.harpercollins.com/catalog/book_xml.asp?isbn=0060736704

The book hits upon these topics, according to the publisher,
Quote:
Bush's false sense of omnipotence, instilled within him during childhood and emboldened by his deep investment in fundamentalist religion

The president's history of untreated alcohol abuse, and the questions it raises about denial, impairment, and the enabling streak in our culture

The growing anecdotal evidence that Bush may suffer from dyslexia, ADHD, and other thought disorders

His comfort living outside the law, defying international law in his presidency as boldly as he once defied DUI statutes and military reporting requirements

His love-hate relationship with his father, and how it triggered a complex and dangerous mix of feelings including yearning, rivalry, anger, and sadism

Bush's rigid and simplistic thought patterns, paranoia, and megalomania -- and how they have driven him to invent adversaries so that he can destroy them

I've noticed these patterns in our president, myself. Many sound familiar to me because I have a family member who is also an untreated alcoholic who stopped drinking on his own. His destructive tendencies just got diverted elsewhere, and I have seen the same behaviors in our presidents actions. They certainly do concern me. I don't feel safe being led by such a man. Look at how he responds to questions: angrily and often with denial. Do you remember when his DUI record came out about a week before the 2000 election? I recall Jay Leno asking him about it and him denying it, then telling a story about his brother doing something embarrassing. And then just last Friday, he couldn't come up with any mistakes he's made. That's heavy denial, man!

I think seeing them unedited on live tv for 90 minutes at a stretch tells us a lot about both men. We get to see them basically unscripted and unedited, get to know them better than we usually do. Bush has said a lot of weird stuff in the debates so far. In the first debate, did you hear him say that in 2000, when he was debating he never dreamt he'd be committing troops? I'm guessing that Kerry has thought about committing troops, even Nader has thought about committing troops. That's part of what a president might have to do. Yet Bush never even dreamt of it before becoming president. Then among his final words from the second debate,
Quote:
The great threat to our country is that these haters end up with weapons of mass destruction.
He sees so clearly that we are "the good," and they are "the haters." It's almost biblical, and scary. I see the world as more complicated than "them" being "the haters" and I want our president to see them as complex terrorists, not cartoonish. I don't see the man as a cartoon, but I am scared that he sees the world as one, perhaps in omipotent technicolor. Confused
0 Replies