monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

georgeob1

Sat 13 May, 2017 02:14 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Pay attention to this and do what you can locally to stop this acquisition.
Quote:
They are called “must-runs,” and they arrive every day at television stations owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group — short video segments that are centrally produced by the company. Station managers around the country are directed to work them into the broadcast over a period of 24 or 48 hours. .........

...As Sinclair prepares to expand its stable of local TV stations with a proposed acquisition of Tribune Media — which would add 42 stations to Sinclair’s 173 — advocacy groups have shown concern about the size and reach the combined company would have. Its stations would reach more than 70 percent of the nation’s households, including many of the largest markets.
NYT

It appears Blatham (and the NYT) are trying hard to suppress the voices of those whose political views they oppose. Remarkable ! - why it's even a bit authoritarian! I wonder what additional psychoses one might find on closer examination.

The evident hypocrisy here makes Blatham's frequent and ponderous pontifications on the Trump psyche look a bit ridiculous.
Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Sat 13 May, 2017 02:53 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

The forcing of global climate towards higher energy/heat overal, through pumping greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

That's your definition of AGW? OK.

Everyone seems to kinda have their own. Which is one reason we get inundated with these totally bogus claims that "97% of scientists believe in AGW."

Going from memory, one such "study" solicited responses from about 7,000 scientists. After the responses were received, they reduced the number they considered to only 77.

With respect to those 77 they looked at the answers to only two questions:

1. Do you believe that earth's temperatures have increased in the last 150 years? and

2. If so, do you believe that humans contributed in any significant way to the warming?

If the respondents said "yes" to both questions, then they were deemed to be supporters of AGW.

75 of the 77 did answer yes to both, so, then, there ya have it, eh?:

97% OF SCIENTISTS SUBSCRIBE TO THE AGW HYPOTHESIS!!

Of course this says nothing about their opinions concerning the multitude of labyrinthian claims proposed by the IPCC papers, etc.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 13 May, 2017 03:35 pm
Heh, these alarmists just never quit, eh?

Quote:
Gore Rewrites 'Inconvenient' Claim About NYC Flooding in Sequel Promo

In his 2006 film, Gore warned, “If Greenland broke up and melted or if half of Greenland and half of West Antarctica broke up and melted this is what would happen to the sea level in Florida [animation shown with much of the state underwater].”

Immediately, after showing Florida, Gore showed animations of drowning cities and countries: San Francisco, The Netherlands, Beijing, Shanghai, Calcutta and then Manhattan.

“But this is what would happen to Manhattan, they can measure this precisely,” Gore warned as he showed his audience much of the city underwater, including the area where the memorial would be built.

Now, he’s twisted his original words to make it appear his prediction about Manhattan came true.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/business/julia-seymour/2017/01/23/gore-rewrites-inconvenient-claim-about-nyc-flooding-sequel
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 13 May, 2017 04:27 pm
@blatham,
Ugh and oof.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 13 May, 2017 04:52 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

You're ignoring the huge increases in atmospheric pollution which followed in the next few decades with the rapid industrialization of India and China and massive deforestation in Brazil and Southeast Asia.

I don't know that anyone's ignoring it. However, here you do, perhaps inadvertently acknowledge the tradeoff between the demands of the AGW zealots and the basic interests of humanity that are involved.

One consequence of India's modernization is that the well-known "brown cloud" of South Asia that covered the area from east Africa to the Bay of Bengal is slowly dissipating. It was the result of the massive and inefficient burning of wood and charcoal for home fires across India. Some aspects of industrialization actually help.

We are left with the inexplicable opposition of AGW zealots for Nuclear power and new forms of fossil fuel (mostly gas) energy production that together have already achieved far more GHG reduction that have all the forced & subsidized wind and photo voltaic solar production they so favor.
Then there is the question of the rerach and coordination of raw government power required to achieve the ends they seek. How will that be achieved and what will be the side effects of it?

There is a Luddite quality to AGW zealotry in all this, and their predisposition to ignore the likely technological advances that have already so improved our quality of life on earth is also telling.

It appears there is more involved in this dispute than they are willing to acknowledge.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 13 May, 2017 04:54 pm
@revelette1,
I mean that Fox News and Rush Limbaugh don't constitute "most" of the conservative media.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 13 May, 2017 05:28 pm
@georgeob1,
It's hippie science.

Organic food is wonderful. (Largely because organic is such a wonderful term)

GMOs are horrible. (Largely because they are the product of huge corporations)

Nuclear power is terrible. (Largely because Jane Fonda told us so)

Solar power is fantastic. (Largely because the sun is so cool man)

layman

Sat 13 May, 2017 05:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Anyone remember when George Carlin was just the "hippy-dippy weatherman?"

McGentrix

Sat 13 May, 2017 05:35 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Deaths per 100,000 live births
http://www.npr.org/news/graphics/2017/05/propublica-mortality-rates.png NPR

More evidence that Obamacare was a complete and utter failure.
layman

Sat 13 May, 2017 05:42 pm
@McGentrix,
Response moderated: Hate speech and/or trolling. See more info.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 13 May, 2017 05:58 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It appears there is more involved in this dispute than they are willing to acknowledge.

For the average left-wing hack, such as are found in this thread, this isn't, and never was, about "science" for one second, eh?

That became apparent as soon (which was immediately) as it was clear that their only reason for bringing in "science" was to attempt to suppress any and all debate by dismissing any one with questions as a deranged "denialist," eh? That's their tried and true "political" M.O., sho nuff.

Quote:
In 1988, former Canadian Minister of the Environment, told editors and reporters of the Calgary Herald: “No matter if the science of global warming is all phony…climate change [provides] the greatest opportunity to bring about justice and equality in the world.”

Quote:
Also speaking at the Rio conference, Deputy Assistant of State Richard Benedick, who then headed the policy divisions of the U.S. State Department said: “A global warming treaty [Kyoto] must be implemented even if there is no scientific evidence to back the [enhanced] greenhouse effect.”

Quote:
Speaking at the 2000 U.N. Conference on Climate Change in the Hague, former President Jacques Chirac of France explained why the IPCC’s climate initiative supported a key Western European Kyoto Protocol objective: “For the first time, humanity is instituting a genuine instrument of global governance, one that should find a place within the World Environmental Organization which France and the European Union would like to see established.”
0 Replies

layman

Sat 13 May, 2017 06:30 pm
Worth repeating, I figure:

Quote:
IPCC official Ottmar Edenhofer, speaking in November 2010, advised that: “…one has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. Instead, climate change policy is about how we redistribute de facto the world’s wealth...”

Quote:
The late Stephen Schneider, who authored The Genesis Strategy, a 1976 book warning that global cooling risks posed a threat to humanity, later changed that view 180 degrees, serving as a lead author for important parts of three sequential IPCC reports. In a quotation published in Discover, he said:

Quote:
We’d like to see the world a better place, which in this context translates into our working to reduce the risk of potentially disastrous climatic change. To do that, we need to get some broad-based support, to capture the public’s imagination. That, of course, entails getting loads of media coverage. So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of the doubts we might have. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest.

Quote:
Kevin Trenberth, a lead author of 2001 and 2007 IPCC report chapters, writing in a 2007 “Predictions of Climate” blog appearing in the science journal Nature.com, admitted:

Quote:
“None of the models used by the IPCC are initialized to the observed state and none of the climate states in the models correspond even remotely to the current observed state”.

In fact there are no predictions by IPCC at all. And there never have been. The IPCC instead proffers “what if” projections of future climate that correspond to certain emissions scenarios.

There are a number of assumptions that go into these emissions scenarios. They are intended to cover a range of possible self consistent “story lines” that then provide decision makers with information about which paths might be more desirable.

But they do not consider many things like the recovery of the ozone layer, for instance, or observed trends in forcing agents. There is no estimate, even probabilistically, as to the likelihood of any emissions scenario and no best guess.

The science is not done because we do not have reliable or regional predictions of climate. But we need them. Indeed it is an imperative! So the science is just beginning.

Self-consistent "story lines" which do not even have a remote correspondence with the observed state, eh? What's up with that?

Science is "just beginning?" I thought it had been "settled" for many years in 2007.

For some reason, God only knows what, but some damn reason, guys like these don't inspire me to follow them blindly, eh?
Builder

Sat 13 May, 2017 07:06 pm
@layman,
The corporate criminals who bought off the political dicks quite some time ago, basically write their own agenda.

If they don't like what they're hearing, they aren't averse to bumping off any number of boffins, until they get the answers they seek.

The biggest polluters (of air, oceans, and water) are the various arms of the mercenary forces, currently under the flag of the US of A. That includes their allied forces, of course.

If those corporate criminals can see or smell a profit to be made, they'll be pushing that agenda, through their various propaganda outlets, masquerading as news sources, for all they're worth.

I like to imagine where mankind would actually be, in terms of advanced technology, had we not been hijacked by these criminal corporate thugs.
layman

Sat 13 May, 2017 07:14 pm
Contrary to the impression that you might otherwise get, there is not a single scientist that is a member of the IPCC. The "I" stands for "inter-governmental." The only members are "governments," i. e, politician with political goals they are pursuing. Millions, even billions, of dollars in the form of subsidies and handouts, are at stake.

These political hacks have the final say on just what will be said in any given IPCC report, and just how it will be said. Many bona fide scientists have bitterly complained that these "political" editors have completely altered and corrupted the actual contents of their reports.

But, I'm sure they're not nearly as "corrupt" as some damn oil company, ya know, so.....

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 13 May, 2017 07:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm older than hippies.

I'm mixed on so called organic, suppose there can be fooling.
When I lived in what I call north north (coastal land in quite northern california, being a landscape architect there, I listened when I could, and I still trust that area, mostly.

I am not against gmo, in reality or conceptually.
I'm no fan of round up by now, but I did specify it for some projects.

I'm not Jane Fonda.
My father was head of photo of the bikini bomb tests. I have said this before, so it may bore you.

On solar power, I don't know pros and cons. I am probably completely pro.
layman

Sat 13 May, 2017 07:22 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

If those corporate criminals can see or smell a profit to be made, they'll be pushing that agenda, through their various propaganda outlets, masquerading as news sources, for all they're worth.

Well, you kinda talk like that's strictly a one-way street, eh? Frauds like Al Gore have profited, to the tune of tens of millions, from the "green" companies they form and invest in, by using those very same tactics and for the very same reason. But they are MUCH more effective in manipulating the "news sources" which serve to promote their business interests.
Builder

Sat 13 May, 2017 07:26 pm
@layman,
Al Gore is a corporate criminal.

So was the Cheney admin, ad nauseum.

Not sure when the crooks took over, but I think it was when Tricky Dicky paid for a hit on his political rival, and Hoover started keeping the books on everyone in a position of influence.

Money talks, and bullshit walks.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 13 May, 2017 07:48 pm
@layman,
Actually I do
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 13 May, 2017 07:51 pm
@ossobucotemp,
My post wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular for that matter.
0 Replies