blatham

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:16 am
The real news world of Fox

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_aw1IuXgAEqQBc.jpg
hightor

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:18 am
@layman,
Quote:
Climate alarmists seem to specialize in selective quotation and a total disregard of any issues they don't want to become public, eh?

Climate deniers work quickly to plug any leaks in their collapsing arguments against the scientific consensus, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:23 am
From Bates:

Quote:
As a climate scientist formerly responsible for NOAA’s climate archive, the most critical issue in archival of climate data is actually scientists who are unwilling to formally archive and document their data. I spent the last decade cajoling climate scientists to archive their data and fully document the datasets.

I established a climate data records program that was awarded a U.S. Department of Commerce Gold Medal in 2014 for visionary work in the acquisition, production, and preservation of climate data records (CDRs), which accurately describe the Earth’s changing environment.

The most serious example of a climate scientist not archiving or documenting a critical climate dataset was the study of Tom Karl et al. 2015 (hereafter referred to as the Karl study or K15), purporting to show no ‘hiatus’ in global warming in the 2000s (Federal scientists say there never was any global warming “pause”). The study drew criticism from other climate scientists, who disagreed with K15’s conclusion about the ‘hiatus.’ (Making sense of the early-2000s warming slowdown). The paper also drew the attention of the Chairman of the House Science Committee, Representative Lamar Smith, who questioned the timing of the report, which was issued just prior to the Obama Administration’s Clean Power Plan submission to the Paris Climate Conference in 2015.

In the following sections, I provide the details of how Mr. Karl failed to disclose critical information to NOAA, Science Magazine, and Chairman Smith regarding the datasets used in K15. I have extensive documentation that provides independent verification of the story below. I also provide my suggestions for how we might keep such a flagrant manipulation of scientific integrity guidelines and scientific publication standards from happening in the future. Finally, I provide some links to examples of what well documented CDRs look like that readers might contrast and compare with what Mr. Karl has provided.

https://judithcurry.com/2017/02/04/climate-scientists-versus-climate-data/

If you really want to understand the nature of his charges and complaints, read the article. I don't expect anyone here to do that, but...
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:41 am
Quote:
All of Trump’s campaign statements just vanished from his website. So let’s remember them.
WP

0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:45 am
@layman,
Why should I read your lies, Layboy, when you're unable to explain why you read them yourself?
revelette1

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:02 am
@blatham,
It is a good thing federal employees can still go home and watch/read news.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:04 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Why should I read your lies, Layboy,

Exactly what I knew you would say, Ollie.

You refuse to even read an article, yet call it a lie. Where do you get this amazing ability to pre-determine the facts and the truth, without even exposing yourself to either?

No need to answer. I know. It's your religious faith. Faith don't need no stinkin facts.
Olivier5

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:08 am
@layman,
You "know" a lot of BS, except what you ought to know. For instance, you don't know why you trust GW deniers. I can tell you why: because they calm your fears. Like a scared kid will tend to believe anyone telling him "don't worry kid, it's gona be alright". The scared little kid wants to be reassured. That's why you believe them deniers.
blatham

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:11 am
Quote:
Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
James Comey will be replaced by someone who will do a far better job, bringing back the spirit and prestige of the FBI.
4:19 AM - 10 May 2017

The exact opposite is true.

I have decreasing confidence that the US will survive as a functioning democracy from this point on. The level of corruption (corruption with many faces) within this White House and within the modern GOP who are now deeply complicit through failure to act as a check on the Trump administration (which is not even to mention their own deceits/corruption re serial dishonesty, voter suppression, subservience to monied interests, attacks on an independent press, etc) may not now be remedied because that corruption is now so deep and pervasive.
Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette1

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:22 am
@blatham,
As much as I want to deny it, I am afraid you're more than likely are right. The FBI will more than likely be replaced by some crony of Trump's, a bootlicker, and like Roger said, they don't care how it looks. And why should they when they have at least 40% of the people backing him up all the way.
layman

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:30 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

you don't know why you trust GW deniers. I can tell you why: because they calm your fears. Like a scared kid will tend to believe anyone telling him "don't worry kid, it's gona be alright". The scared little kid wants to be reassured. That's why you believe them deniers.

Hahahaha. Speak for yourself about your irrational "fears," Chicken Little.
McGentrix

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:31 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The exact opposite is true.

It's too bad you have no credibility left. Otherwise people might believe you.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:31 am
@revelette1,
Word is that Trey Gowdy will be the next FBI director.
blatham

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:34 am
@revelette1,
Yes. The motivation here is obvious - to suppress the ongoing investigations re Russia/Trump. And yes again, some significant percentage of the US population, now enveloped within their closed information universe and trained towards tribal allegiance above all, will behave as we've seen them behave.

It's a dire moment. As venal as Nixon was, key safeguards that still existed in that period are now fragile or absent. And because of who Trump is, the dangers presented by him now are, I think, more serious than the dangers
Nixon presented.

The only possible path ahead that might prevent a real calamity of democracy is if Rosenstein appoints an independent and serious prosecutor to take over this investigation. If he fails to do this, then the US is pretty much fucked.
McGentrix

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:36 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

It's not "argumentative". It's just true. But you're a scared little puppy so you can't admit it.

The rain forest is largely irrelevant in this issue, for reasons that require an understanding of the carbon cycle to grasp. The problem is not related to deforestation, it is caused by pumping CO2 in the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels.

The effects of climate change will grow and persit for thousands of years, while the effect of one volcanic eruption will last only a year or two... We won't be saved by a volcano.

Aw, gee whiz Olivier5, you went and hurt my feelings.

It's too bad that all you have is a bunch of quotes I am not sure you even understand. If you did, you'd know why I said they were argumentative.

I believe you think the rain forest is irrelevant because your source doesn't discuss it. Let me give you a source so you can add it into your "facts" list.
Deforestation and Its Extreme Effect on Global Warming
Quote:
By most accounts, deforestation in tropical rainforests adds more carbon dioxide to the atmosphere than the sum total of cars and trucks on the world’s roads.

Please educate yourself on these topics if you are going to preach about them.
Olivier5

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:43 am
@blatham,
Quote:
No argument from me that such individuals exist and in great numbers. But they do not represent the norm.

I don't see a "norm" here. I see different practices by different people, and to me there's no reason to prefer one practice to the other.

Plenty of people have been rendered stupid by reading stupid things. Lot's of BS gets printed, and the weak-minded tend to believe whatever they read. And others try to read good material but they're prone to misunderstanding what they read...

The same of course applies to radio, TV and to the Internet. The medium is irrelevant. What's important is the quality of the message and the quality of one's own reading/listening/watching ability.

Walter Hinteler

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:53 am
http://i.imgur.com/SuRP3xs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2EIladc.jpg

0 Replies