monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 06:34 am
Quote:
For the three years leading up to Election Day, Trump was strikingly consistent: the United States needed to stay out of Syria. Missile strikes would be a costly and pointless mistake, he said. The risks associated with intervention against the Assad regime were enormous – Candidate Trump warned against “World War III” shortly before Election Day – and the benefits were few.

And yet, Trump was again spun by those who knew more and cared more. The New Republic’s Jeet Heer highlighted the Pentagon’s role.
Quote:
As a candidate, Donald Trump swaggered about how he’d order the military to do what he wanted. “They won’t refuse,” he said during a Republican debate, defending his call for the military to “take out” terrorists’ families. “They’re not gonna refuse me. Believe me.” He also claimed to have unique expertise. “I know more about ISIS than the generals do, believe me,” he said at a rally in Iowa.

The U.S. missile strikes on a Syrian air base on Friday make clear a different reality: The Pentagon, not the White House, is playing the dominant role not just in military strategy, but in shaping foreign policy.

The New York Times’ Ross Douthat made a related case yesterday.
Quote:
Most recent presidencies have been distinguished by tugs of war between different groups of foreign policy hands…. The Trump administration, though, doesn’t really have many normal foreign policy experts among its civilian officials. Rex Tillerson may have a realist streak and Nikki Haley a moralistic style, but neither one has been part of these debates before. Mike Pence has nothing like the experience of a Dick Cheney or a Joe Biden. If Bannon’s vision is getting sidelined, it’s not like Jared Kushner is ready with a deeply thought-out alternative.

What Trump has instead are generals – James Mattis and H. R. McMaster and the other military men in his cabinet, plus, of course, the actual professional military itself. And it’s this team of generals, not any of the usual foreign policy schools, that seems increasingly likely to steer his statecraft going forward.
Benen
izzythepush

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 06:49 am
@blatham,
I think he's only just beginning to realise that there can be no peace in Syria with Assad. Assad represents a minority group, the Alawites, and while he may garner support from other minorities like the Christians, the majority Sunni population will never accept him. If legitimate avenues are cut off more and more of them will turn to jihad, and they will continue to attract violent nutcases from outside the region, which will in turn be exported overseas.

The real tricky bit is finding a replacement acceptable to Putin, (he won't want to let go of his Mediterranean base,) Iran, (sick of Saudi Arabia's dominance of the region,) and the majority Sunni population.
blatham

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:01 am
@izzythepush,
I'd love to respond to your post but the truth is I am, at this point, very poorly educated on the dynamics of modern Syria.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:03 am
Quote:
If you want to understand intra-GOP warfare, the decision-making process of our president, the implosion of the Republican healthcare plan, and the rest of the politics of the Trump era, you don’t need to know about Russian espionage tactics, the state of the white working class, or even the beliefs of the “alt-right.” You pretty much just need to be in semi-regular contact with a white, reasonably comfortable, male retiree. We are now ruled by men who think and act very much like that ordinary man you might know, and if you want to know why they believe so many strange and terrible things, you can basically blame the fact that a large and lucrative industry is dedicated to lying to them.

Because there was a lot of money in it for various hucksters and moguls and authors and politicians, the conservative movement spent decades building up an entire sector of the economy dedicated to scaring and lying to older white men. For millions of members of that demographic, this parallel media dedicated to lying to them has totally supplanted the “mainstream” media. Now they, and we, are at the mercy of the results of that project. The inmates are running the asylum, if there is a kind of asylum that takes in many mostly sane people and then gradually, over many years, drives one subset of its inmates insane, and also this asylum has the largest military in the world.
Alex Pareen on the right wing media grift
Olivier5

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:18 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Looks like the democrats went into hybernation.

Perhaps a better way to think of this problem is that "live and let live" is not well equipped to deal with "kill the enemy".

Politics are confrontational, by definition. If the Dems don't want to fight this administration, they should just resign en masse and let someone else do it.
farmerman

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:55 am
@Olivier5,
Im conflicted about the Syrian attack. I welcome its resolve and now with a GOP congress "not settled in merely to take down aDEM president" perhaps the Obama plans will be taken on nd Trump will try to take credit for"the sunrise".

However, I dont trust this president to do the smart thing because his "resolve to take action" was way too swift. Especially since it was not determined that Assad was the perp, nor is it tied to a "plan". Hoq do I know that?? Well , because NOTHING hes done o fqr hqs been plqn oriented, its only been reaction.
I see T rex as a calmitive being who is able to feed Trump his "Smart pills" (qt least until he too gets fired)

Gov Hickenlooper for pres.
georgeob1

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 08:11 am
@blatham,
I've encountered many efforts to evade disagreement over concrete issues and instead to convince others, and perhaps also yourself that those you disagree with are not to be trusted, heard or are merely the stooges of another agent, but this is one of the most stark .... and ridiculous.

We're confronted with Hillary's rationalizations for her loss as a result of misogyny, the general stupidity of voters, and a Russian conspiracy; the intransigence of Democrat leader in the Congress who similarly refuse to accept the outcome; .... and now this kind of journalistic crap. The inability of Democrats, their candidate, legislative leaders, ....and now their journalistic sympathizers, to come to grips with the stark fact that they lost the Presidential election, multiple seats in the House and Senate, Governorships in about seven states and many seats in state legislatures across the country, all in an unusual, pervasive rejection by voters, is truly stunning. Denial of this depth and persistence in an ordinary person is a significant psychological disability. Such denial among presumably seasoned and responsible political figures is shameful.

Now to encounter this exaggerated denial among their journalistic claques and rationalizers is somehow a fitting, almost poetic punishment for the nonsensical group values they peddled with such alacrity. They finally have become the victims and chief consumers of their own propaganda. And their conclusion is that 'disfavored groups (white males in this case) have been manipulated by unseen, evil forces and s rendered unable to see the supposed wonderfulness of Democrat policies and candidates' !

It's hard to make this **** up, and harder still to believe that supposedly rational people , like the author and those like yourself who distribute it, actually believe it.

I'll give you an alternative explanation. Voters were moved by perceptions of incompetence in an increasingly intrusive government; concerns about a slow growth economy and a government apparently unable to se its own role in slowing it down; a candidate who had demonstrated marginal competence, untruthfulness and an unwillingness to accept accountability in public office, and who campaigned as a champion in opposition to a supposed "war on women".
farmerman

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 08:14 am
@georgeob1,
were that all true george, you keep forgetting that even Trump expected to lose. PS, I see they are sttioning your old commqnd to the W Pac. Hmmmmm
ANY conflict to resolve anything with Korea will be bloody on S Korea, qnd Jpn. I dont think the guy with his thumb on the button can be trusted for an act like that. He needs some big time help. Un has got those skuds dug in so that may will reach all of S Korea and Seoul will be a wreck.

georgeob1

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 08:58 am
@farmerman,
I wasn't confident Trump would win until I heard the Florida and North Carolina results on election night. Even then, I wasn't sure until the Ohio result was announced. Hard to know what any candidate was thinking. Trump's campaign staff appeared to have a good handle on recent trends and made some appropriate choices of campaign venues in the final days of the campaign. Trump later said he was confident of a win, but I'm sure he has his doubts along the way. The evidence and Trump's actions suggest he was growing in confidence throughout the campaign. Anyway you have it, things become clearer in retrospect.

A decade ago we used to keep a carrier Battle group in Westpac permanently - crusing the South China Sea, the Formosa Straits and the Sea of Japan. Obama ended all that, and started kissing ass and apologizing around the world. Our allies became restless and disoriented, rivals became more aggressive, and the crazies like Kin Jon Un (or Ugh!) began posturing dangerously. In effect our hapless former president created a new more dangerous norm, and now we must walk it back. It feels risky, but only because we lost confidence under a now departed self-absorbed community organizer masquerading as a leader.

Olivier5

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 09:13 am
@farmerman,
My reading is that the strike was carefully prepared by the Pentagon for months, that they pressured Trump, and that Trump finally decided to go for it. I.e. t's not like Trump had to plan it himself or even had to ASK for a plan. The strike plan was readied by the army. But I could be wrong of course.

If DOD is understaffed and unprepared, as they seem to be, the army top brass will be more than happy to fill in the vacuum. It's a bad precedent to have the army on autopilot, though. What you really want in a democracy is civilian control over the army...
giujohn

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 09:16 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

izzythepush wrote:
Gitmo has long been a powerful recruiting sergeant for jihadis, but some idiots will only accept the bleeding obvious when a Republican president says it.

I see no reason for closing it no matter who says it. What are we going to do with the detainees if we close it? Summarily execute them?

A capital idea!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 09:16 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I always liked him.
giujohn

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 09:26 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Im conflicted about the Syrian attack. I welcome its resolve and now with a GOP congress "not settled in merely to take down aDEM president" perhaps the Obama plans will be taken on nd Trump will try to take credit for"the sunrise".

However, I dont trust this president to do the smart thing because his "resolve to take action" was way too swift. Especially since it was not determined that Assad was the perp, nor is it tied to a "plan". Hoq do I know that?? Well , because NOTHING hes done o fqr hqs been plqn oriented, its only been reaction.
I see T rex as a calmitive being who is able to feed Trump his "Smart pills" (qt least until he too gets fired)

And of course you are privy to all the intell...You realize that our intell capability can determine when the fixed wing aircraft took off from that Syrian base, determine where they dropped their payload, and to what base they returned? Does Isis or the rebels have fixed wing aircraft?

The problem with all you Trump bashers is you lack credibility in that if you can't give him credit for something he did right. No one should consider anything you all say about the man cuz it's obvious you're ridiculously and unreasonably biased.

Hell even I gave Obama props for taking out UBL.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 09:55 am
@ehBeth,
Ditto
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 09:57 am
Quote:
Spanish police have arrested a Russian programmer for alleged involvement in "hacking" the US election, Spanish press reports have said.

Pyotr Levashov, arrested on 7 April in Barcelona, has now been remanded in custody.

A "legal source" also told the AFP news agency that Mr Levashov was the subject of an extradition request by the US.

The request is due to be examined by Spain's national criminal court, the agency added.

El Confidencial, a Spanish news website, has said that Mr Levashov's arrest warrant was issued by US authorities over suspected "hacking" that helped Donald Trump's campaign.

Mr Levashov's wife Maria also told Russian broadcaster RT that the arrest was made in connection with such allegations.

Several cybersecurity experts, including Brian Krebs, have also linked Mr Levashov to a Russian spam kingpin, who uses the alias Peter Severa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39553250
georgeob1

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 09:58 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

My reading is that the strike was carefully prepared by the Pentagon for months, that they pressured Trump, and that Trump finally decided to go for it. I.e. t's not like Trump had to plan it himself or even had to ASK for a plan. The strike plan was readied by the army. But I could be wrong of course.

If DOD is understaffed and unprepared, as they seem to be, the army top brass will be more than happy to fill in the vacuum. It's a bad precedent to have the army on autopilot, though. What you really want in a democracy is civilian control over the army...

That's a rather contrived analysis that doesn't appear to flow from any known facts.

Planning for such things is done by the Joint Staff, not the Army. Contingency plans for such events are continuously prepared, ready and reviewed by area commanders. Targeting data for the selected targets and many others in the area is routinely developed by the Navy before the ships that launched the missiles entered the theater. Development of the final plans for the selected action and its alternatives takes only a matter of days and hours.

All the available evidence suggests this was a direct result of Assad's third gas attack on his own people and second using sarin -- and all that after Russian and Assad presumably disposed of Syrian Gas assets after the hapless, inept Obama ignored his crossed "red line".

blatham

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 10:03 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Politics are confrontational, by definition. If the Dems don't want to fight this administration, they should just resign en masse and let someone else do it.
There's truth to that but also dangers. If the Dems play this game the way the modern GOP plays it, governance of the responsible sort is pretty much dead. The level of dishonesty we see now must not be duplicated. The levels of obstruction cannot be duplicated either because then we'll have a "government" which has no connection to the wishes and needs of citizens, merely a battle of two cadres of enemies disconnected from the electorate. Dems cannot build and rely upon a propaganda machine because then citizen trust will be pretty much completely eviscerated.

It's not an easy problem. The ACA provides clues, I think, to how Dem policies when implemented can be understood by the citizens to be highly valuable. And such policies, designed to help citizens (rather than powerful corporate interests) must be continued and supported. But the real problems aren't so much about Dem policies, rather who opposes such policies, why they do and the organizational and financial clout behind obstruction. The Koch network is a key problem that has to be matched on the left. The right wing media/propaganda machine is another key problem and there's no easy solution for that outside of citizen education and activism demanding mainstream media behave as they ought to and must.
georgeob1

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 10:08 am
@blatham,
Laughing Laughing Laughing That's rich!
"Right Wing media and the Koch Brothers !" There must be a conspiracy. It can't be opposition to bad policy and inept governance.

You're starting to look ridiculous.
blatham

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 10:10 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Trump later said he was confident of a win, but I'm sure he has his doubts along the way.

Your brain has holes the size of an Orwell hardcover novel.
Quote:
Donald Trump was just as surprised as the rest of the country.

The president elect said publicly on Tuesday that he expected to lose the election to Democrat Hillary Clinton, based on polls showing him behind in several critical states.

“I went to see my wife. I say, ‘Baby, I tell you what. We’re not going to win tonight,”’ Trump said in West Allis, Wisconsin.
Bloomberg
0 Replies

layman

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 10:12 am
@izzythepush,
Finish the story, eh?

Quote:
A US intelligence report released in January alleged that Russian President Vladimir Putin tried to help Mr Trump to victory.

The report said that Russia's objectives were to "undermine public faith" in the US democratic process and "denigrate" Mr Trump's Democrat rival Hillary Clinton.

Russia's efforts to this end allegedly included hacking into email accounts used by the Democratic National Committee; using intermediaries such as WikiLeaks to release hacked information; and funding social media users or "trolls" to make nasty comments.

However, there were no details of Mr Putin's alleged involvement with such interference in the report.

I wonder if they're gunna arrest members of the DNC who "funded trolls to make nasty comments" about Trump, too, eh?

Trollin aint nuthin compared to hiring "protestors" to start riots and destroy property, eh??

0 Replies