monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 07:52 am
AP Exclusive: DHS report disputes threat from banned nations[url]

0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 08:06 am
I bet Trump's new National Security Advisor is not as liked as Flynn was.

H.R. McMaster Breaks With Administration on Views of Islam

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump’s newly appointed national security adviser has told his staff that Muslims who commit terrorist acts are perverting their religion, rejecting a key ideological view of other senior Trump advisers and signaling a potentially more moderate approach to the Islamic world.

The adviser, Lt. Gen. H. R. McMaster, told the staff of the National Security Council on Thursday, in his first “all hands” staff meeting, that the label “radical Islamic terrorism” was not helpful because terrorists are “un-Islamic,” according to people who were in the meeting.

That is a repudiation of the language regularly used by both the president and General McMaster’s predecessor, Michael T. Flynn, who resigned last week after admitting that he had misled Vice President Mike Pence and other officials about a phone call with a Russian diplomat.

It is also a sign that General McMaster, a veteran of the Iraq war known for his sense of history and independent streak, might move the council away from the ideologically charged views of Mr. Flynn, who was also a three-star Army general before retiring.
giujohn

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 08:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Some people's ignorance about Putin is an amazing phenomenon in this country.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_journalists_killed_in_Russia
Trump said, "the media is the enemy of the people."
That's what tyrants say and do; kill them.

Your post is just like fake news. And you are advocating presidential assassination? You should be investigated.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 09:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Some gun lovers say, "guns saves lives." What if there were no guns? Common sense or logic, anyone?
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/91906700/

Some more fake news by CI:

How come you aren't screaming for swimming pool safety???

The deaths are astronomical compared to guns.
hightor

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10:02 am
@giujohn,
Quote:

When's the last time you were threatened by a guy brandishing a swimming pool?
lmur

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10:25 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Trump's estimate for the wall is $12 million. A government estimate is $21 million. My estimate is $70 million.

I assume those estimates are per mile. A total of $70 million is pocket change in Washington.

I suspect CI meant 'bowel' rather than 'movement.'
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 11:03 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Any other stupid questions?

You mean besides this one?
giujohn wrote:

If you're going to be that obtuse I guess I'll have to provide an explanation. There's a difference between being killed by someone with a handheld weapon and a person dying by drowning in a swimming pool. That's why there are safety mechanisms on firearms — they are inherently more dangerous than baseball bats. They are designed that way and they present more risk to society because of that reason.
McGentrix

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 11:14 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Any other stupid questions?

You mean besides this one?
giujohn wrote:

If you're going to be that obtuse I guess I'll have to provide an explanation. There's a difference between being killed by someone with a handheld weapon and a person dying by drowning in a swimming pool. That's why there are safety mechanisms on firearms — they are inherently more dangerous than baseball bats. They are designed that way and they present more risk to society because of that reason.

So you don't read Cicerone Imposter's posts then.
hightor

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 11:30 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
So you don't read Cicerone Imposter's posts then.

He's got somewhere north of 105,000 posts and no, I haven't read them all.

Why don't you cite a particular post that you find objectionable instead of just making a broadside condemnation?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 11:57 am
@revelette1,
We have had more home grown terrorists than from other countries. Trump's Muslim ban from the seven countries he named hasn't been guilty of killing any Americans. The judge's reversal was the right decision.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 12:08 pm
Quote:
Border agents detained and questioned the son of the boxing legend Muhammad Ali about his religion when he flew back to the US this month, a family lawyer said.

“Where did you get your name from? Are you a Muslim?” they asked the 44-year-old Muhammad Ali Jr, who was born in Philadelphia and is a US citizen.

When Ali confirmed to immigration officials at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood international airport in Florida that he was a Muslim, they began questioning him about where he was born, family friend and lawyer Chris Mancini told the Courier-Journal newspaper. The questioning lasted for about two hours.
[...]
The former prime minister of Norway was held for nearly an hour at Washington Dulles airport earlier this month and questioned over a visit to Iran three years ago, which he had made to speak at a human rights conference.

Meanwhile, the best-selling Australian children’s book author Mem Fox has suggested she might never return to the US after she was detained and insulted by border control agents at Los Angeles international airport. The 70-year-old said she was left “sobbing like a baby” after two hours of questioning while on her way to a conference.

A British Muslim schoolteacher travelling to New York last week as a member of a school party from south Wales was denied entry to the US. The foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, had previously claimed the US government had committed to allowing all UK passport holders to enter the country.
Source
ehBeth

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 12:09 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Wikipedia is a worthless source for anything other than non-controversial topics.

yeah all those lies you've posted on the Swedish non-massacre thread - and used wikipedia links

45 lying is non-controversial eh
it's just the way America is now
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 12:51 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I gave you a thumb's up. Why people hate factual news has to be based on ignorance. When our president is ignorant, and gives EOs that are unConstitutional, they must be challenged by judges and the American people.
Ignorance of so many Americans is scary.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 01:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You're as blind as a bat. Trump is a textbook bigot. He wants to ban all Muslims from entering the US, and Mexicans are criminals and rapists.

Muhammad Ali’s Son Detained At Airport, Asked ‘Are You Muslim?’

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/muhammad-ali-jr-detained-muslim_us_58b1a780e4b0a8a9b782b5a5?

Quote:
The son of the late boxing great Muhammad Ali was detained at a Florida airport this month and asked about his religious preferences, a family friend says.

Muhammad Ali Jr., 44, was returning to the U.S. from Jamaica with his mother, Khalilah Camacho-Ali, when customs pulled them aside at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Feb. 7 for questioning, Chris Mancini, a family friend and lawyer, told the Courier-Journal Friday.

Customs officials let Camacho-Ali proceed once she produced a photo of herself with her former husband Muhammad Ali, but since Ali Jr. did not have such a photo, they detained him for almost two hours. During his detention, he says officials asked him questions like “Where did you get your name from?” and “Are you Muslim?”

Ali Jr., who like his late father is Muslim, is an American citizen with no criminal record. He was carrying a U.S. passport with him at the time of his detention.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 01:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The Federal Government Just Took The First Step In Building Trump’s Wall

Trump's estimate for the wall is $12 million. A government estimate is $21 million. My estimate is $70 million.

Let's see whose estimate is the closest.

I think you mean BILLIONS of dollars ....

And Betty Devos, Education Secretary, recently used poor hungry children as the brunt of her opening joke at the conservative brouhaha.

Quote:
When Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos addressed the Conservative Political Action Conference on Thursday, she began her remarks with a brief introduction.

“I’m Betsy DeVos. You may have heard some of the ‘wonderful’ things the mainstream media has called me lately,” she said. “I, however, pride myself on being called a mother, a grandmother, a life partner, and perhaps the first person to tell Bernie Sanders to his face that there’s no such thing as a free lunch.”

While DeVos’ “free lunch” statement was a joke meant to make her right-wing audience chuckle and to highlight the price tag on government programs, her choice of words was very troubling to many parents, educators and child welfare advocates.

Because the fact of the matter is, for millions of children in the United States ― all of whom she’s pledged to serve as education secretary ― there is such a thing as a free lunch. And the important role it plays in their education and well-being is no laughing matter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/actually-betsy-devos-there-is-such-a-thing-as-a-free-lunch_us_58afb3a3e4b0780bac2805d4

There's no money or desire to fund school lunches for hungry children? hungry school kids a laughing matter? but can't wait to spend BILLIONS of dollars for a worthless fence?

Screwed up priorities ... the haters are hateful people .... and hypocrites too. If it's their child or grandchild that gets assistance for lunch or some other program, well they somehow deserve it ... but if some little black child who lives in an inner city gets a free lunch, well then that's because his criminal daddy is in jail and his slut mom has too many kids with a bunch of different men ... NO FREE LUNCH FOR THOSE LITTLE BASTARDS!!!! The hate that swirls around in their brains makes me sick, and they're the ones that somehow believe they stand on higher moral ground and deserve to make the rules for everyone else to follow.

Sorry for the rant, but every now and then I just want to smack some common sense into haters who refuse to acknowledge their own moral failings ...

farmerman

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 01:35 pm
@Debra Law,
truthfully though, even though Betsy is kind of a douche, that "free lunch bit" is kind of a stretch, even for us liberals.
Debra Law

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 01:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

We have had more home grown terrorists than from other countries. Trump's Muslim ban from the seven countries he named hasn't been guilty of killing any Americans. The judge's reversal was the right decision.

Most of the 9/11 terrorists came from Saudi Arabia. But Saudi Arabia isn't on the list. Trump empire has lucrative business dealings in Saudi Arabia and those oil rich Saudi people need unfettered access to fly into D.C. and stay at Trump's posh hotel and conduct their business dealings.

The hijackers in the September 11 attacks were 19 men affiliated with al-Qaeda. Fifteen of the 19 were citizens of Saudi Arabia, and the others were from the United Arab Emirates (2), Egypt, and Lebanon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijackers_in_the_September_11_attacks

Trump registered eight companies in Saudi Arabia during campaign: report

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/306990-trump-appeared-to-register-eight-companies-in-saudi-arabia
0 Replies

Debra Law

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 02:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
Border agents detained and questioned the son of the boxing legend Muhammad Ali about his religion when he flew back to the US this month, a family lawyer said.

“Where did you get your name from? Are you a Muslim?” they asked the 44-year-old Muhammad Ali Jr, who was born in Philadelphia and is a US citizen.

When Ali confirmed to immigration officials at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood international airport in Florida that he was a Muslim, they began questioning him about where he was born, family friend and lawyer Chris Mancini told the Courier-Journal newspaper. The questioning lasted for about two hours.
[...]
The former prime minister of Norway was held for nearly an hour at Washington Dulles airport earlier this month and questioned over a visit to Iran three years ago, which he had made to speak at a human rights conference.

Meanwhile, the best-selling Australian children’s book author Mem Fox has suggested she might never return to the US after she was detained and insulted by border control agents at Los Angeles international airport. The 70-year-old said she was left “sobbing like a baby” after two hours of questioning while on her way to a conference.

A British Muslim schoolteacher travelling to New York last week as a member of a school party from south Wales was denied entry to the US. The foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, had previously claimed the US government had committed to allowing all UK passport holders to enter the country.
Source

Disgusting. Embarrassing. Shameful.

The whole world is watching ... and astounded by the bat-**** crazy people who are now in power ...
0 Replies

Debra Law

Sat 25 Feb, 2017 02:09 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

truthfully though, even though Betsy is kind of a douche, that "free lunch bit" is kind of a stretch, even for us liberals.

explain ... I don't understand your criticism
0 Replies