monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 12:28 am
https://i.imgur.com/divUxUe.jpg

So Parler, the app popular with the American far right, has returned online with the help of ... ... ... a Russian-owned technology company.
roger

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 12:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yikes!
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 01:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Probably the least surprising thing ever.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 04:14 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

You remind of this MLK post I saw on Twitter this morning:
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/71/2f/b9/712fb92ce7077cef30cbb2f7bd9cb5ad.jpg

I would be extremely cautious about the veracity of MLK “quotes” on or around MLK day.
hightor

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 04:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
So Parler, the app popular with the American far right, has returned online with the help of ... ... ... a Russian-owned technology company.

You heard it here first (1.10.21):

0ralloy wrote:
Mr. Putin is eager to help the American people resist and undermine the Biden Administration, and I'm sure he'd be happy to have a large segment of the American population discussing the resistance on Russian servers.
izzythepush

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 05:01 am
@hightor,
Oralloy would support a dictator who poisons his political opponents and then locks them up.
snood

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 05:26 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Oralloy would support a dictator who poisons his political opponents and then locks them up.

Would and does
0 Replies

snood

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 06:00 am
@oralloy,
You express outrage at “leftists” lies. You say they lied about Russian collusion and lied to prosecute Trump’s associates, and so many other things.
When it comes to the “leftists” and progressives, you are clear about your opinion of them as liars.

Why did none of Donald Trump’s lies ever seem to bother you?
He said Mexico would pay for the wall. It was repeated at every campaign rally. It was chanted by the crowds. It was a lie.

He said he would build a “big, beautiful wall, like no one’s ever seen before” in his first year in office. But four years later less than 25 miles of new wall has been completed. That was a lie.

He promised on several occasions to repeal Obamacare and release his own fantastic healthcare plan (in two weeks)that would cover more people for less money and still cover pre-existing conditions. That was a big, fantastic lie.

He said he would “certainly “ release his tax returns if he was elected. A lie.

There were many others, about huge caravans of terrorists approaching our border and the pandemic going to just disappear and the size of his crowds and that he was at ground zero on 9/11 and his own height and weight and on and on and on...

You didn’t mind. Never bothered you. Why not? Because he protected the 2nd Amendment? Do you have any idea how weak that sounds?

Why was it okay with you that he was and is a bold faced, constant liar?

If the truth is only important to you when it’s “leftists” that are lying, then your words and your outrage and your opinions mean less than nothing.

izzythepush

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 06:05 am
@snood,
His own lies don’t bother him. He lies and then refuses to admit lying even when given proof of those lies.
hingehead

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 06:34 am
@snood,
Thanks for the tip. Is there a reliable way of verifying them?
engineer

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 06:34 am
@hightor,
Think of the blackmail material!
0 Replies

snood

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 07:30 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Is there a reliable way of verifying them?

It’s not voodoo. Just normal due diligence. It’s a hint if you can’t link a clear source. Things Dr King actually said can be cited from actual publications.
Region Philbis

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 08:52 am

Trump removes some COVID-19 travel restrictions,
Biden will block changes

(cbsnews)
0 Replies

revelette3

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 09:51 am
@snood,
I am not hingehead, but I looked it up as I wanted to know if he actually said it.

From what I can tell it was part of his "The Drum Major Instinct," speech.

Quote:
The other day I was saying, I always try to do a little converting when I’m in jail. And when we were in jail in Birmingham the other day, the white wardens and all enjoyed coming around the cell to talk about the race problem. And they were showing us where we were so wrong demonstrating. And they were showing us where segregation was so right. And they were showing us where intermarriage was so wrong. So I would get to preaching, and we would get to talking—calmly, because they wanted to talk about it. And then we got down one day to the point—that was the second or third day—to talk about where they lived, and how much they were earning. And when those brothers told me what they were earning, I said, “Now, you know what? You ought to be marching with us. [laughter] You’re just as poor as Negroes.” And I said, “You are put in the position of supporting your oppressor, because through prejudice and blindness, you fail to see that the same forces that oppress Negroes in American society oppress poor white people. (Yes) And all you are living on is the satisfaction of your skin being white, and the drum major instinct of thinking that you are somebody big because you are white. And you’re so poor you can’t send your children to school. You ought to be out here marching with every one of us every time we have a march.”

Now that’s a fact. That the poor white has been put into this position, where through blindness and prejudice, (Make it plain) he is forced to support his oppressors. And the only thing he has going for him is the false feeling that he’s superior because his skin is white—and can’t hardly eat and make his ends meet week in and week out. (Amen)

https://www.ianwelsh.net/the-drum-major-instinct-speech-by-martin-luther-king/

(there are links on the page, also the whole speech is well worth reading)

Walter Hinteler

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 09:53 am
"Progressivism" along with "Slavery" and "Fascism" in a list of "challenges to America’s principles" of
The President's Advisory 1776 Commission Final Report.

Trump’s 1776 Commission Critiques Liberalism in Report Derided by Historians
Quote:
The White House on Monday released the report of the presidential 1776 Commission, a sweeping attack on liberal thought and activism that calls for a “patriotic education,” defends America’s founding against charges that it was tainted by slavery and likens progressivism to fascism.

President Trump formed the 18-member commission — which includes no professional historians but a number of conservative activists, politicians and intellectuals — in the heat of his re-election campaign in September, as he cast himself as a defender of traditional American heritage against “radical” liberals. Not previously known for his interest in American history or education, Mr. Trump insisted that the nation’s schools had been infiltrated by anti-American thought and required a new “pro-American” curriculum.

The commission formed part of Mr. Trump’s larger response to the antiracism protests, some of them violent, that followed the May killing of George Floyd, a Black man, by a white police officer in Minneapolis.

In his remarks at the National Archives announcing the commission’s formation, Mr. Trump said that “the left-wing rioting and mayhem are the direct result of decades of left-wing indoctrination in our schools.”

The commission’s report charges, in terms quickly derided by many mainstream historians, that Americans are being indoctrinated with a false critique of the nation’s founding and identity, including the role of slavery in its history.

“Historical revisionism that tramples honest scholarship and historical truth, shames Americans by highlighting only the sins of their ancestors, and teaches claims of systemic racism that can only be eliminated by more discrimination, is an ideology intended to manipulate opinions more than educate minds,” the report says.

The report drew intense criticism from historians, some of whom noted that the commission, while stocked with conservative educators, did not include a single professional historian of the United States.
... ... .,..
0 Replies

revelette3

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 09:54 am
Trumps' snub of Bidens historic in its magnitude
0 Replies

snood

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 09:57 am
@revelette3,
My advice was to be careful about MLK quotes on MLK day. That one turns out to be legitimate, but it’s still true that we should be careful about MLK quotes on MLK day, because there are always false ones and ones taken out of context to serve the purposes of people who don’t give a crap about MLK or his legacy.

Do you not think that’s sound advice?
farmerman

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 10:28 am
@snood,
I heard from radio news (hile I was hunkered down in the gas fields this weekend) , that a Pa woman ha stolen Pelosi's laptop on Jan 6 and was going to sell it to the Russians. Was this true??

Is this the kind of "patriotism" we can expect from these playground bullies?
izzythepush

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 10:31 am
@farmerman,
According to the BBC yes. Unfortunately for her the laptop was only used to give presentations, nothing hush hush, but she didn’t know that.
revelette3

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 10:34 am
@snood,
actually I do think it is sound advise. Was merely curious if it was a legitimate quote or not. I am late coming to learning about the late MLK, a very interesting, inspirational man. Would have loved to been to even one of his sermons.
0 Replies