monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Tue 12 Jan, 2021 11:01 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Couldn't disagree more.

You're wrong. Progressives just falsely accuse people who don't agree with them of racism.
roger

Tue 12 Jan, 2021 11:19 pm
@Builder,

Builder wrote:

Quote:
Conservatives are assholes

You'd best tell Roger your thoughts on that. And Aussies spell it arseholes.

Thanks for noticing, but that doesn't mean I have ever agreed with you on anything.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Wilso knows how Australians spell.
Builder

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 12:20 am
@roger,
Quote:
but that doesn't mean I have ever agreed with you on anything.

Couldn't give a rat's arse, myself, but you did say just a few pages ago that you do identify as a conservative.

Quote:
Oh, I'm pretty sure Wilso knows how Australians spell

So he's just playing sycophant again? Thanks for the heads up, roger.
0 Replies

vikorr

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 12:20 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
You're wrong.
Are we going to go around in circles here?
oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 12:22 am
@vikorr,
Facts are facts. You can accept reality, or you can be wrong.

Edit: Darn it. I opened my web browser to look something up, but my internet was out. 30 seconds later it was back, so I tried again. I saw your post and made a quick reply. Now I can't remember what I came to the computer to look up. Mad

Edit 2: Nevermind. Remembered. Idea
Builder

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 12:30 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
Are we going to go around in circles here?

Again, you meant?
0 Replies

vikorr

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 12:48 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Facts are facts.
We both agree to that. But we aren't talking about facts.

And no, you passing off your opinion as fact doesn't make it fact. There are only a limited number of types of facts in the world:
- pure logic facts (mathematics)
- scientific facts (things studied that hold true over and over again)
- I can see, touch, smell etc this object type of facts.

A lot of what you try to pass as fact is in reality, your opinion.

For example, the idea you have that possessing a gun = freedom, is not a fact. It is an idea. It is one you would have to argue, and still not get agreement on. Facts will always have agreement to their existence. No 'idea' of something as nebulous as freedom (which itself is an idea) will ever be fact.

Sometimes ideas like laws, could be said to be fact - because enough people believe in them for them to have power. If no one believed in them, they would not have any agency, and therefore would not be fact.

In the end, your opinion is just that. Your opinion.
oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 01:02 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
But we aren't talking about facts.

Yes we are.

vikorr wrote:
And no, you passing off your opinion as fact doesn't make it fact.

I have never passed off my opinion as fact.

vikorr wrote:
A lot of what you try to pass as fact is in reality, your opinion.

Wrong. I refer to facts as facts. I don't try to pass anything off as something that it isn't.

vikorr wrote:
For example, the idea you have that possessing a gun = freedom, is not a fact.

Well, you misstated it a bit. But anyway, wrong, it is very much a fact when correctly stated.

vikorr wrote:
Facts will always have agreement to their existence.

Oddly enough, no. Progressives routinely reject reality and insist that facts are not real.

If progressives gain enough power (Stalin for example) they will even kill people who tell the truth in order to keep on denying reality.

vikorr wrote:
Sometimes ideas like laws, could be said to be fact - because enough people believe in them for them to have power. If no one believed in them, they would not have any agency.

There you go. Thus the fact that free people have the right to have guns for self defense.

vikorr wrote:
In the end, your opinion is just that. Your opinion.

I never said otherwise.

Anyway, I'm done reading what I came to the computer to look up. I might be back at the computer tonight or not. If not then I'll reply to anything further tomorrow.
vikorr

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 01:06 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Oddly enough, no. Progressives routinely reject reality and insist that facts are not real.
Usually it seems to me, they are stating they disagree with your opinion. This seems to me to be at the heart of the rest of your reply. Your desire for your opinions to be fact (despite your protestations saying you are offering no opinions as fact) does not make them so.
vikorr

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 01:10 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
There you go. Thus the fact that free people have the right to have guns for self defense.
You obviously missed the entire concept - laws have agency only because of belief. They aren't truly fact, as facts exist regardless of peoples belief (ie. the lack of belief in a fact does not stop the fact from being a fact). You also miss that your concepts (gun rights=freedom) on both sides of the equal sign, are much more nebulous than laws, which removes them even further from fact.
oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 01:12 am
@vikorr,
I've not missed anything. It is a fact that free people have the right to have guns for self defense. That is the truth whether you like it or not.

This concept can't be more nebulous than law, because this concept is law.
vikorr

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 01:13 am
@oralloy,
Well now you are debating what a fact is & what reality is.
oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 01:14 am
@vikorr,
No, I'm explaining to you what a fact is and what reality is.
vikorr

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 01:15 am
@oralloy,
Then you are not doing a very good job of it, and it seems to me you don't quite understand what a fact is.

Yes, yes, I understand you are going to protest this. That doesn't make your protests any more valid.
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 01:18 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Usually it seems to me, they are stating they disagree with your opinion.

But in reality progressives are rejecting facts.

vikorr wrote:
Your desire for your opinions to be fact (despite your protestations saying you are offering no opinions as fact) does not make them so.

I have no desire to make my opinions fact.

True that my opinions are not facts. I've never said otherwise.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 02:11 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
People who believe the most prolific liar in US political history

That would be a toss-up between Nixon and Richard Cheney.

Were you going somewhere with this?

Nixon was a rookie compared to Trump, Nixon was a jerk but he wasn't a Caligula wannabe ........ Cheney was/is a war criminal. You are intoxicated by reading bullshit all day....try the Soaps for a couple days then take a vacation from A2K, then go **** in your hat. Adios
glitterbag

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 02:13 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

We won't mention Biden's connections with criminal oligarchs in Ukraine, and the paedophile mobsters in China.

of course not, that's your fantasy you creepy wannabe.....ick, ick, ick
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 02:26 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Builder wrote:

Quote:
Conservatives are assholes

You'd best tell Roger your thoughts on that. And Aussies spell it arseholes.

Thanks for noticing, but that doesn't mean I have ever agreed with you on anything.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Wilso knows how Australians spell.

Roger is not a lunatic, his views are rational and should be respected....I love Roger (that might not bode well for Roger) and it's important/crucial to weigh all the options to move forward in the best interest of this country. Some people have made this like a religious test, I good ergo you bad....God loves me not you, I'm sick of simplistic rhetoric that does nothing but divide. We just watched a bunch of maniacs storm the Capitol (to do what???) to overthrow the election??? This reminds me of the ancient Pogo cartoon, where Pogo declares "We have met the enemy, and He is us". Walt Kelly penned this cartoon and caption in 1970.....Can we never learn?
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:14 am
Quote:
Case of manatee with 'Trump' etched into back under investigation

Federal wildlife officials in Florida are reportedly seeking information on the perpetrators of an attack on a manatee, which apparently had the word “Trump” scraped into its back.

The attack on the animal was reported by the Citrus County Chronicle, which showed a picture of the large aquatic mammal with the name of the US president clearly visible by being etched into its skin.

(...)

Quote:
A Late Burst of Climate Denial Extends the Era of Trump Disinformation

Two Trump administration officials have been reassigned over the posting of debunked papers, with the imprimatur of the White House, that questioned the scientific consensus on climate change.

WASHINGTON — The White House science office on Tuesday reassigned two administration officials who posted a series of debunked scientific reports denying the existence and significance of man-made climate change, purportedly on behalf of the United States government.

The officials, David Legates, who served as the head of the United States Global Change Research Program, and Ryan Maue, a senior official at the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, still remain employed, administration officials confirmed. Both had been assigned to the White House from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and have returned to that agency.

(...)

I thought the resemblance was striking:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.edWZKiGkFuLl1fcIi1E8xAHaFA%26pid%3DApi&f=1https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/01/12/climate/12CLI-SCIENCE1/12CLI-SCIENCE1-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
0 Replies