monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 06:25 am
@vikorr,
Logical consistency has never been his strong point, vikorr!
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 06:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

No one should ever think about Trump without the words "without any class whatsoever" coming into mind.

Gee, I don't know, Frank — that gold-plated apartment complex in Trump Tower is just so tasteful!
0 Replies

snood

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 06:44 am
I agree with both hightor’s description of Trump as an effing amateur, and Frank’s characterization of him as classless.

Over these last four years, whenever I would stop to consider his latest disgraceful act or pronouncement, the description that always came to my mind first was ‘what a piece of ****’.

farmerman

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 06:57 am
@snood,
We must not forget that he is a pathological liar. That trait is common currency for sociopaths and psychopaths.

Im still mulling into which one of the last two he best fits.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 06:57 am
Bernie Sanders to delay defense veto override in bid for $2,000 checks
0 Replies

Ragman

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 09:25 am
Enough has been said/written about having an incompetent and buffoonish president. Shame on the American voters for electing him and almost re-electing him in the first place.

What should be focused on from this point forward? Answer: The weakness and spinelessness of leadership BEHIND the president.

They, in their ineffectual leadership, allowed the country to drift dangerously and aimlessly into deadly worsening COVID crises. Furthermore, the current legislation to offer financial relief of $2000 (instead of the paltry $600) will be attached with riders that’ll be quite unpalatable- Bloated military budgeting that doesn’t increase our national security.

Thank you Bitch McConnell and crew. Continuing focus and that madman is obfuscation. Soon he’ll be out of power. Then what?!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 09:35 am
@Builder,
No, the response was on point, which you missed, heh.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:14 am
Quote:
Some blame Donald Trump. Others blame social media. And those with longer memories blame Newt Gingrich for carving up America into blue states and red states racked by mutual fear, suspicion and alienation.

As speaker of the House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999, the Republican arguably did more anyone else to sow the seeds of division in Washington. “Newt Gingrich turned partisan battles into bloodsport, wrecked Congress, and paved the way for Trump’s rise,” reflected the Atlantic magazine in 2018.

But now the 77-year-old party grandee, former history professor and author of three books lionising Trump must contemplate a new chapter in which the ultimate outsider president makes way for Joe Biden, the ultimate insider who has promised healing, unity and a return to pre-Gingrich norms.

Newt Gingrich: Democrats are trying to 'brainwash the entire next generation'
Frank Apisa

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 11:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
Some blame Donald Trump. Others blame social media. And those with longer memories blame Newt Gingrich for carving up America into blue states and red states racked by mutual fear, suspicion and alienation.

As speaker of the House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999, the Republican arguably did more anyone else to sow the seeds of division in Washington. “Newt Gingrich turned partisan battles into bloodsport, wrecked Congress, and paved the way for Trump’s rise,” reflected the Atlantic magazine in 2018.

But now the 77-year-old party grandee, former history professor and author of three books lionising Trump must contemplate a new chapter in which the ultimate outsider president makes way for Joe Biden, the ultimate insider who has promised healing, unity and a return to pre-Gingrich norms.

Newt Gingrich: Democrats are trying to 'brainwash the entire next generation'

Walter, we Americans are going through the same existential crisis your country went through in the late 1920's - early 1930's.

We have not learned the lessons your nation taught the world.

I hope we catch on before the right-wing scum of our country comes under the control of someone with the brains and speaking ability of Hitler. (Luckily, Trump is a classless, incompetent moron...so this was not the time.)

If that happens (the right wing scum coming under control of someone who knows his/her ass from a hole in the ground) BEFORE we learn the lesson...we are doomed. And since we have not learned it yet...80 years after it was taught...I doubt we will.

0 Replies

snood

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 01:20 pm

Mitch McConnell just blocked the ‘stimulus’ bill with the $2000 direct payment for the reason that it would add too much to the deficit.

Everyone knows that’s bullshit. McConnell and the so-called ‘deficit-hawk’ republicans clearly don’t care about the deficit when they push things like 2Trillion dollars in tax cuts to the rich.

The $2000 in Covid relief has broad support - both democrats and republicans have been hit hard by the pandemic and all the changes it has caused.

So... Explain something to me -
Why doesn’t McConnell want to let people have that money?
0 Replies

snood

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 01:33 pm
Frank Apisa referred to something that brought to mind another question, albeit a rhetorical one...

Something that scares the bejeebers out of me...

What if all those tens of millions of people who follow Trump ever came under the influence of a right winger who was actually smart and competent? I mean, what if all this energy and loyalty they have for Trump got thrown behind a scumbag who could actually govern?

In a weird way, we got lucky that their “leader” this time was evil, but stupid. What if the next one is evil, and smart?

Frank Apisa

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 02:21 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Frank Apisa referred to something that brought to mind another question, albeit a rhetorical one...

Something that scares the bejeebers out of me...

What if all those tens of millions of people who follow Trump ever came under the influence of a right winger who was actually smart and competent? I mean, what if all this energy and loyalty they have for Trump got thrown behind a scumbag who could actually govern?

In a weird way, we got lucky that their “leader” this time was evil, but stupid. What if the next one is evil, and smart?

Yep...you are right.

In a perverse way, getting Trump was a piece of good fortune. He was (IS) just too stupid to take long-term advantage of the morons willing to follow him.

But the morons are not going away...and the next person who plays them may be able to think past his/her nose.

Trump had a gigantic piece of good luck fall into his lap...and got elected president of the United States when he should not have had a chance at the job. And, like damn near everything else in his life...he screwed it up.
hightor

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 03:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Right now I'm more interested in the vote to override the veto of the defense authorization bill.. There's some good stuff in there and it'd be a direct repudiation of Trump.
snood

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 04:26 pm
@hightor,
Can you answer my question above, about why Mitch doesn’t want to allow the $2000?
I mean, during Obama’s time I understood that Mitch resisted everything- sometimes even things other republicans and their constituents wanted - just because he couldn’t allow there to be any perceived Obama victory.

But now, with Trump and a bipartisan group that wants this - and popular support - why is he fighting the $2000 relief?
farmerman

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 04:30 pm
@snood,
hes probably going to rmain the GOP leadership in the Senate so hes it.
Reminds me of a very old Galapagos tortoise.

I was talking about Moscow Mitch. He has a very good chance of remaining in power and with no Trump around with which to have to atch his back he can use his own bully pulpit
snood

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 04:43 pm
@farmerman,
I’m sorry, fm - If you were answering my question, I didn’t understand it.
farmerman

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 04:47 pm
@snood,
see above. I added some verbiage
snood

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
What is the purpose of his fighting the $2000?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 05:00 pm
@snood,
Mitch believes tax money is to be devoted to business and defense. Oh, and to Kentucky. That's why he objects to money being lavished on the rest of us....if we get ANY money, that's dollars out of Kentucky's citizens pockets, and if Mitch makes his citizens go without all of the federal handouts they depend on, they might wonder why they vote for Big Daddy Mitch.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone to go hungry or without medical care, but Mitch only cares about Kentucky voting him back in office and taking the lions share of tax money. If the other states need help, he resists because those states are poorly managed......let that sink in for a minute.
snood

Tue 29 Dec, 2020 05:06 pm
@glitterbag,
So you think he actually believes that money is better spent elsewhere?