monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette3

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 09:16 am
How Trump’s blizzard of misleading fundraising emails explains his refusal to concede

Quote:
It’s bad for the country, but it’s raking in the money for Trump
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 09:37 am
Trump campaign’s star witness in Michigan was deemed ‘not credible.’ Then, her loud testimony went viral.

Quote:
Weeks after Melissa Carone was tapped by the Trump campaign as a star witness in Michigan, little appeared to be going as planned with the contract IT worker’s testimony — an unverified series of claims about ballot fraud at Detroit’s vote-counting center.

In interviews with conservative-leaning media last month, her offbeat tale suggesting ballots were being smuggled inside food vans seemed to baffle even Fox Business host Lou Dobbs. Two days later, a Wayne County judge ruled that her allegations “simply are not credible.”

Yet, there she was in front of a Michigan House panel on Wednesday, dressing down a Republican lawmaker as she loudly insisted, without proof, that tens of thousands of votes had been counted twice. At one point, she was audibly shushed by Trump campaign attorney Rudolph W. Giuliani

During her exchange with Johnson the following day, the GOP state lawmaker questioned her claim that 30,000 votes were counted multiple times but were not reflected in the poll book, which indicates how many absentee ballots were cast in each precinct.

“We’re not seeing the poll book off by 30,000 votes,” he said.

“What’d you guys do, take it and do something crazy to it?” Carone fired back, before telling him there were “zero registered voters” in Wayne County’s poll book and that 100,000 fraudulent ballots had been cast. (Biden won Michigan by more than 154,000 votes.)

When another representative suggested she should be “under oath” during her presentation, Carone got personal.

“I am a mother, I have two children, I have two degrees,” Carone said in a clip that was shared on Twitter Wednesday by President Trump. “I don’t know any woman in the world that would write an affidavit under oath just to write it. You can go to prison for this.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/12/03/melissa-carone-michigan-trump-giuliani-election/
revelette3

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 09:58 am
Quote:
As a legal matter, the special counsel appointment of Durham is weightless. In his Associated Press interview, Barr indicated that he was making the formal designation to give Durham the same regulatory protection that Robert Mueller enjoyed as the special counsel investigating the Trump-Russia "collusion" farce. That protection is more apparent than real.

As a factual matter, Mueller qualified for the protection provided by formal special counsel status because he was "selected from outside the United States government," as the regulations require (specifically, Section 600.3). This requirement is common sense: Assuming adequate basis for a criminal investigation, a special counsel is arguably necessary only when a profound conflict of interest would render it impossible for the Department of Justice (DOJ) to conduct such a probe in the normal course.

This is almost never the case, since if an individual DOJ prosecutor has a conflict (e.g., a former client caught up in an investigation), the DOJ can just assign a non-conflicted prosecutor. But the classic conflict situation warranting a special counsel appointment is when an investigation centers on the president or high administration officials, for then the Justice Department is in the position of investigating its superiors and the administration of which it is a part - that's when you arguably need a lawyer from outside.

Durham, however, is not from outside. He is a top federal prosecutor. He does not meet the "outside the government" qualification. To this point, moreover, his investigation has not presented a conflict situation (i.e., this was not a matter of the Trump administration investigating itself).

Yet, these factual departures from the usual special counsel scenario can be put aside easily. Under another regulation (Section 600.10), the Justice Department's failure to comply with the letter of the special counsel regs is not actionable - no one has a legal right to object. The attorney general has broad discretion to formulate arrangements in the interests of justice that safeguard investigations from political interference.

It has become common, for example, for attorneys general to name experienced Justice Department prosecutors from outside Washington to conduct politically sensitive investigations - keeping the matter in-house, but adding a layer of insulation. Indeed, that is how Durham ended up with not only the current investigation into the origins of the Trump-Russia probe, but with similarly sensitive probes he was tapped to handle during the Clinton, Bush-43, and Obama administrations. Similarly, the Bush-43 Justice Department appointed then-Chicago U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald to oversee the Valerie Plame leak investigation, and Barr appointed then-St. Louis U.S. attorney Jeff Jensen to review the Michael Flynn prosecution.

It is pointless, in any event, to be fastidious about the special counsel regulations, because its vaunted protections of the prosecutor's independence are illusory.

The regulations purport to allow a special counsel a) to withhold some information from the attorney general and Justice Department chain-of-command; b) to be insulated from day-to-day DOJ supervision; and c) to be removable only for cause (Sections 600.6 and 600.7). In reality, though, the special counsel is a subordinate prosecutor. As a matter of constitutional law, prosecution is an executive function, and there is no getting around the fact that all executive power is reposed in the president. Like all executive branch officials, a special counsel answers to the president, who is not bound by the regulations and can remove the special counsel at will.

Consequently, even if Durham were, strictly speaking, a special counsel rather than an in-house investigator given a measure of independence, he could be removed by Joe Biden after Jan. 20.

Barr's designation of Durham is thus bereft of legal teeth. Politically, however, the designation makes it more difficult for Biden to fire Durham. Ironically, this is a boon for the president-elect. It also has the benefit of removing a hot potato from the lap of his yet-to-be-named attorney general.

Biden has made a point of saying that he will not interfere in Justice Department investigations. On that score, the new president would lose all credibility if his first order of business were to be firing Durham. On the other hand, Biden knows he has scant reason to be concerned about Durham's investigation: Barr has made clear that Biden is not a subject; the probe seems trained on FBI and other investigators, who were acting at some remove from the then-vice president. Plus, Durham would be reporting to Biden's attorney general. Biden can be confident from Durham's performance thus far, and from the CIA investigation he handled during the Obama administration, that he will do a competent job and seek indictments only if there is compelling evidence.

If Barr had not designated Durham, there would have been significant pressure on the incoming Biden attorney general - from the left, which wants the investigation to disappear, and from the right, which wants accountability and would suspect a Biden AG of burying the probe. At a minimum, Durham's investigation involves whether crimes were committed in the FBI's misleading of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court during the Obama/Biden administration.

Unavoidably then, Biden's incoming AG would have been hounded over whether he or she would name a special counsel, just as Clinton AG Janet Reno was hounded over whether she'd name an independent counsel to investigate alleged fundraising improprieties by Vice President Al Gore, among other things. Now, the new AG will be positioned to say that Durham's quasi-independent status has been established, while confident that Durham is a straight arrow who follows DOJ rules, and whom the new AG can effectively supervise.

In the final analysis, for all the talk about regulations, what matters is the person, not the protocols. If the prosecutor has a well-earned reputation for scrupulousness and competence, it matters little whether he is on special assignment from inside the DOJ or is a special counsel from outside the government. It matters little whether he has been appointed by this or that administration. By contrast, if a designated special counsel were a notorious political hack, all the regulatory guardrails in the world could not imbue his work with legitimacy.

Durham has a stellar reputation. In designating him, however loosely, as a special counsel, Barr has shored up the investigation while sparing the incoming administration some tough choices - if the new president and attorney general are prudent enough to see it that way.

source
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 12:14 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Quote:
Trump campaign’s star witness in Michigan was deemed ‘not credible.’ Then, her loud testimony went viral.

What else would the WP say? They have 0 credibility especially on credibility.

coldjoint

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 12:19 pm
I have no idea how many have bothered to look at any of these state legislature hearings on voting irregularities. I have. What I have noticed is about half of the citizens coming forward are POC. (People of color). Why are these people believed when they accuse police of brutality and discrimination but not listened to when they say the election was fraudulent?

Walter Hinteler

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 12:22 pm
@coldjoint,
Is the WP running the Circuit Court in Michigan?
coldjoint

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 12:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Is the WP running the Circuit Court in Michigan?

What do you think Walter? I already told you that you suck at trolling. Come back when you have something to contribute.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 12:28 pm
@coldjoint,
I was referring to your post and asked you.
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 12:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/YGGWLNPGKM27FJ762BI73I6KU4.gif&w=767
hightor

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 01:00 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
What I have noticed is about half of the citizens coming forward are POC. (People of color).

Okay, I'll take your word for it. Obviously, when you're trying to get large numbers of black people's votes thrown out it's going to look a lot less overtly racist if you can show some black people making the complaint. So how many people are you talking about — ten, twenty-five, fifty? You do realize that we're talking about tens of thousands of votes, right? How difficult would it be for Trump campaign operatives to find a few dozen black Trump supporters and recruit them? As former Trump-aide Ja'Ron Smith points out, "I would validate that Trump got the biggest vote tally of African-American voters in 60 years." You born yesterday or something?
Quote:
Why are these people believed when they accuse police of brutality and discrimination but not listened to when they say the election was fraudulent?

What the ****??? "These people"??? Are you saying that those same individuals complained about police brutality and discrimination? Prove it — if you can — or else you've simply shown yourself to be a racist troll. These people — yeah, little wannabe layman, nothing like stereotyping people by skin color.

coldjoint

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 01:12 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
What I have noticed is about half of the citizens coming forward are POC. (People of color).

Okay, Obviously, when you're trying to get large numbers of black people's votes thrown out it's going to look a lot less overtly racist if you can show some black people making the complaint. So how many people are you talking about — ten, twenty-five, fifty? You do realize that we're talking about tens of thousands of votes, right? How difficult would it be for Trump campaign operatives to find a few dozen black Trump supporters and recruit them? As former Trump-aide Ja'Ron Smith points out, "I would validate that Trump got the biggest vote tally of African-American voters in 60 years." You born yesterday or something?
Quote:
Why are these people believed when they accuse police of brutality and discrimination but not listened to when they say the election was fraudulent?

What the ****??? "These people"??? Are you saying that those same individuals complained about police brutality and discrimination? Prove it — if you can — or else you've simply shown yourself to be a racist troll. These people — yeah, little wannabe layman, nothing like stereotyping people by skin color.

You are very predictable. You are pulling the race card on me. And included the usual name calling. I said nothing racist I pointed out a fact, facts. Pitiful.
Quote:
These people

What do you call people? You are a manipulator and are out of luck with me. Your rhetoric means 0 to me.
Quote:
I'll take your word for it.

You don't have to . Watch it.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 01:22 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

I have no idea how many have bothered to look at any of these state legislature hearings on voting irregularities. I have. What I have noticed is about half of the citizens coming forward are POC. (People of color). Why are these people believed when they accuse police of brutality and discrimination but not listened to when they say the election was fraudulent?

When you say why are “these people” believed, are you saying the same black people who say the election was fraudulent are complaining about police brutality and discrimination, or by “these people” are you meaning all black people?
Rebelofnj

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 01:24 pm
@BillW,
I remember seeing a similar graph with more news sources like OANN and Slate. According to that one, Associated Press and Reuters are regarded as the most neutral and most reliable news sources.
coldjoint

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 01:48 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

coldjoint wrote:

When you say why are “these people” believed, are you saying the same black people who say the election was fraudulent are complaining about police brutality and discrimination, or by “these people” are you meaning all black people?

No, I did not say that. There is no doubt race is used as a political weapon by Democrats. What I said is if a person, any person of color, claims discrimination they are instantly believed by the media. Why are they not believed when the say there was fraud? Nothing racist about it.

FYI, not all people of color are black.

0 Replies

Builder

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 01:58 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Quote:
Associated Press and Reuters are regarded as the most neutral and most reliable news sources.

Quote:
The Associated Press (AP) is a nonprofit news cooperative that had a profit of $1.6 million in 2016. The AP is owned by its contributing newspapers, radio and television stations in the United States, all of which contribute stories to the AP and use material written by its staff journalists.

Analysis / Bias
Quote:

In their political coverage, AP utilizes moderate loaded language in their headlines such as “AP Exclusive: Before Trump job, Manafort worked to aid Putin.” However, the articles are always well-sourced. When it comes to their economic coverage they maintain neutral language and least biased coverage: “US-China tariffs: What’s behind them, who stands to be hurt?” The AP also publishes well-researched and sourced articles such as “Science Says: How family separation may affect kids’ brains”, utilizing pro-science sources such as American Academy of Pediatrics.

When it comes to reporting on the Trump administration the Associated Press usually maintains a neutral voice, however, in some articles the author demonstrates bias through loaded emotional language such as this: “PUSHED Ukrainian officials to investigate BASELESS corruption allegations against the Bidens”. While this statement is factual, the use of the words “Pushed” and “Baseless” convey negative emotions toward Rudy Giuliani. In general, the Associated Press publishes low biased, highly factual news and in some cases left-biased editorializing by their authors.

source
Rebelofnj

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 02:25 pm
@Builder,
Here is the graph:
https://www.adfontesmedia.com/interactive-media-bias-chart-2/

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Media-Bias-Chart-6.0_Low_Res_Licensed.jpg
coldjoint

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 02:47 pm
All these charts on the media are useless. The fact is the media is lying about the evidence of fraud. The DOJ is lying about the fraud. They have not interviewed one witness.

They are both tools of a cabal, people determined to rob Americans of the man they elected. Hamilton warned us and gave us the options to fix it.
Builder

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 03:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Quote:
Ad Fontes is currently funded by its founder, by a crowdfunding campaign which ran in late 2018, by sales of licenses, prints, data products, and educational products, by donations through this site (not tax-deductible) by individuals who believe in its mission. Any future additional sources of funding will be disclosed on this site and in future annual reports.

Established in the middle of president Trump's first term, and no disclosure of donors.

Nice try, Reb. But no banana this time.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 03:26 pm
@coldjoint,
Or, there is no widespread fraud despite Trump's claims.

The heads of the DOJ and the FBI were appointed by Trump himself (the previous heads were forced out by Trump), and weeks ago Barr even authorized prosecutors to “pursue substantial allegations of voting and vote tabulation irregularities". If they can't find anything substantial, then that means Trump's claims are false.

It would help Trump if he actually showed evidence now to the public, instead of waiting to present them at the US Supreme Court with time running out.
BillW

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 03:31 pm
@Rebelofnj,
theRump's belief is that if he can get to his SCOTUS, they will automatically rule him King. "These People" wouldn't dare rule against him!
0 Replies