monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

farmerman

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 03:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
ha!
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 03:03 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/how-fascist-is-president-trump-theres-still-a-formula-for-that/2020/08/21/aa023aca-e2fc-11ea-b69b-64f7b0477ed4_story.html
Quote:

How fascist is President Trump? There’s still a formula for that.

By
John McNeill - a professor of history at Georgetown University.
August 21, 2020

In October 2016, I asked how fascist Donald Trump was as a presidential candidate, comparing his campaign with the movements in Italy and Germany using a four-point scale. I awarded Trump "Benitos" for how closely his campaign resembled those movements. A few weeks before his election, Trump earned 59 percent of possible Benitos, which made him "the most dangerous threat to pluralist democracy in this country in more than a century" — but not a genuine fascist. As a candidate, Trump was an amateurish imitation of the real thing.

Four years later, we can assess how fascist Trump has been in power. I have expanded the scale to include new criteria that were not relevant before he took office: governance, consolidation of power and various policy arenas. Instead of a possible 44 Benitos, as in 2016, the maximum is now 76. Does Trump earn more than 59 percent on his record in the White House?

In 2020, as in 2016, many observers declare Trump fascist, especially after his call for "total domination" of American cities, his glee over federal police actions against Black Lives Matter protesters and his efforts to undermine the legitimacy of the upcoming election should he lose.

But are we there yet? No. In a federal, decentralized state with constitutional checks and balances, it's harder to govern as a fascist than to run as one. Trump's political outlook and behavior bear many similarities to those of fascist leaders, but he has not ruled like an authentic fascist. We can thank "the swamp": The courts, the military, the media, voters and his own appointed officials (now mostly fired) have kept him in check.
oralloy

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 03:21 pm
@realDonaldTrump wrote:
It is my Great Honor to announce that General Michael T. Flynn has been granted a Full Pardon. Congratulations to @GenFlynn and his wonderful family, I know you will now have a truly fantastic Thanksgiving!
4:08 PM · Nov 25, 2020
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1331706255212228608
oralloy

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 03:30 pm
@blatham,
@paulwaldman1 wrote:
Remember when the last president left office and didn't actually have to pardon himself, his friends, and his aides because they weren't doing crimes

False premise. The actual reason why no pardon was necessary was because Republicans don't abuse their power by conducting witch hunts against people who they don't agree with.

As soon as the Democratic Party is outlawed, there will be no longer be any need to guard against their abuse of power.
coldjoint

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 03:30 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/how-fascist-is-president-trump-theres-still-a-formula-for-that/2020/08/21/aa023aca-e2fc-11ea-b69b-64f7b0477ed4_story.html
Quote:

How fascist is President Trump? There’s still a formula for that.

By
John McNeill - a professor of history at Georgetown University.
August 21, 2020

In October 2016, I asked how fascist Donald Trump was as a presidential candidate, comparing his campaign with the movements in Italy and Germany using a four-point scale. I awarded Trump "Benitos" for how closely his campaign resembled those movements. A few weeks before his election, Trump earned 59 percent of possible Benitos, which made him "the most dangerous threat to pluralist democracy in this country in more than a century" — but not a genuine fascist. As a candidate, Trump was an amateurish imitation of the real thing.

Four years later, we can assess how fascist Trump has been in power. I have expanded the scale to include new criteria that were not relevant before he took office: governance, consolidation of power and various policy arenas. Instead of a possible 44 Benitos, as in 2016, the maximum is now 76. Does Trump earn more than 59 percent on his record in the White House?

In 2020, as in 2016, many observers declare Trump fascist, especially after his call for "total domination" of American cities, his glee over federal police actions against Black Lives Matter protesters and his efforts to undermine the legitimacy of the upcoming election should he lose.

But are we there yet? No. In a federal, decentralized state with constitutional checks and balances, it's harder to govern as a fascist than to run as one. Trump's political outlook and behavior bear many similarities to those of fascist leaders, but he has not ruled like an authentic fascist. We can thank "the swamp": The courts, the military, the media, voters and his own appointed officials (now mostly fired) have kept him in check.

Complete bullshit from a professor trying to make a buck and more or less repeating the same crap we have been hearing since Trump was elected. No one is listening but haters.
0 Replies

Brand X

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 03:39 pm
Breaking911
@Breaking911
·
6m
President Trump calls into PA election hearing:

"This was an election that we won easily. We won it by a lot... This election was rigged... This election has to be turned around because we won Pennsylvania by a lot and we won all of these swing states by a lot."
coldjoint

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 03:44 pm
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

The votes for Trump must be in the billions by now.

That is what Snood said. He said Biden won by six billion votes. Ask him.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 03:52 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

That Pennsylvania meeting is a bitch session, with nothing of substance to show that the accusations of huge fraud are true.

Let em bitch. Every day that passes with them refusing to accept what happened and publicly weaving tall tales just makes them look sillier.

Wrong, the mail in ballots being 700,000 more than were sent out was highlighted and will be investigated. I think there will be a forensic audit and Biden will be toast.

Bring up the video and go to 2:58 minutes and listen to the discrepancies in the mail in votes. Watch it and explain why it is nothing.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:01 pm
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

Breaking911
@Breaking911
·
6m
President Trump calls into PA election hearing:

"This was an election that we won easily. We won it by a lot... This election was rigged... This election has to be turned around because we won Pennsylvania by a lot and we won all of these swing states by a lot."

Trump is 100% correct.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:08 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

@paulwaldman1 wrote:
Remember when the last president left office and didn't actually have to pardon himself, his friends, and his aides because they weren't doing crimes

False premise. The actual reason why no pardon was necessary was because Republicans don't abuse their power by conducting witch hunts against people who they don't agree with.

As soon as the Democratic Party is outlawed, there will be no longer be any need to guard against their abuse of power.

And, will that happen before, or after the election results are overturned?

As soon as Publisher’s Clearing House gets me my ten million, I’m going to go ahead and get that beachfront property on Maui.

0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:11 pm
@Rebelofnj,

Guess what, you can watch it yourself. Do you need those people to tell you what was said? You seem to depend on them to do your thinking for you.
BillW

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:12 pm
Trump Pardons Michael Flynn, Who Pleaded Guilty To Lying About Russia Contact

November 25, 20204:13 PM ET

President Trump has pardoned his first national security adviser, Michael Flynn, who spent years enmeshed in an often bizarre legal war with the government that sprang from the Russia investigation.

Trump announced the news on Twitter as Americans prepared to observe the Thanksgiving holiday this week.

The pardon brings an end to a long-running legal odyssey for Flynn, who was the only member of the Trump administration to be charged as part of special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation.

Flynn pleaded guilty in 2017 to lying to the FBI about his contacts with the Russian ambassador and then cooperated extensively with prosecutors. But he ultimately reversed course and accused the government of trying to frame him.

Flynn went so far as to withdraw his first plea of guilty and substitute a second plea of not guilty, even though he'd acknowledged the underlying conduct that was against the law and been close to receiving a sentence.

The pardon drew condemnations from critics who've said Trump's actions to help his friends interfere with the justice system. House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., for example, who helped prosecute Trump at his impeachment, called the president's actions obviously corrupt.

What a joke!

Rebelofnj

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:16 pm
@coldjoint,
The CBS News and Fox News links are just livestreams of the meeting. So people would have to watch what is happening.

I brought up the links because you doubted the media would cover the event, when in fact they did.
BillW

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:20 pm
@BillW,
There is a good here, Flynn must now tell whatever he knows. If he tells a lie, this can and will be held against him in a court of law!
Rebelofnj

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:20 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I had to fire General Flynn because he lied to the Vice President and the FBI. He has pled guilty to those lies. It is a shame because his actions during the transition were lawful. There was nothing to hide.

@realDonaldTrump, 02 December 2017
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/937007006526959618?s=19
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:22 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

The CBS News and Fox News links are just livestreams of the meeting. So people would have to watch what is happening.

I brought up the links because you doubted the media would cover the event, when in fact they did.

I have been wrong before and most likely will be wrong again. How about you?
0 Replies

snood

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:25 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Guess what, you can watch it yourself. Do you need those people to tell you what was said? You seem to depend on them to do your thinking for you.

Man, he was just responding to your question “Do you think the media will cover this?”
He answers that, so you swerve off into attacking him for where he gets information. You don’t deal straight up. You are a con just like your hero Don.
coldjoint

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:26 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

There is a good here, Flynn must now tell whatever he knows. If he tells a lie, this can and will be held against him in a court of law!

What are you talking about" The DOJ dropped the charges, DOH.
coldjoint

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:27 pm
@snood,
Quote:
You don’t deal straight up.

You lack the credibility to say that to anyone. Understood?
0 Replies

snood

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 04:27 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

He knows that. When you shoot one shitman of his down, he erects another one.
0 Replies