monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

goldberg

Fri 17 Jul, 2020 10:23 pm
@glitterbag,
But I think it's going the wrong way. Other liberal journalists working at the New York Times are said to have bashed and even bullyraged Bari Weiss for refusing to rhapsodize about BLM. Bari Weiss writes in her resignation letter that she joined the Times from the Wall Street Journal after being told that the Times was looking for a different voice in its editorial pages.

America is a nation upholding freedom of expression. And it's critical for a democratic nation to have robust debate and freedom of association. That's what Tocqueville found when he was visiting America.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 17 Jul, 2020 10:26 pm
@glitterbag,
Not wanting to be murdered is hardly hate.

White people aren't any different from other people. We just want to be left alone to live our lives in peace.
goldberg

Fri 17 Jul, 2020 10:29 pm
@oralloy,
Lots of black victims have been killed by white people as well. It's no use trying to wheedle people into thinking that white people are innocent.

We are all sinners regardless of colour.
oralloy

Fri 17 Jul, 2020 10:32 pm
@goldberg,
Nonsense. I've never harmed anyone.
0 Replies

goldberg

Fri 17 Jul, 2020 10:33 pm
@glitterbag,
Andrew Sullivan also left another liberal publication after being questioned by his brass about his willingness to root for critical race theory. Andrew Sullivan has been a critic of Trump, despite being a conservative writer.
glitterbag

Fri 17 Jul, 2020 10:58 pm
@goldberg,
I'm not sure what it means "critical race theory", it's not all that unusual for people to misconstrue the difference between conservative and liberal (or progressive) . Most people are a little more complicated than boxed in as liberals or conservative.

As far as Andrew Sullivan, it's not exactly a surprise he's not a Trump fan....but that doesn't put him in the same category as moderate.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 17 Jul, 2020 11:03 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
tapped into a well-spring of resentment and hate.

You are projecting. Trump's opponents have created the hate and resentment.
glitterbag

Fri 17 Jul, 2020 11:12 pm
@coldjoint,
You are projecting that I'm projecting........can you name one time that Trump ever did something compassionate or kind? Don't bother breaking a sweat, (suddenly that notion makes me laugh hahahahahahahahaha You breaking a sweat hahahahahahahaha)
izzythepush

Sat 18 Jul, 2020 02:57 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

. HAve you read Dr Trump's book.

He’s waiting for the muppets to do a movie version.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Builder

Sat 18 Jul, 2020 03:27 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
He’s waiting for the muppets to do a movie version.

While the rest of the nation is waiting for the lynch mob.
0 Replies

goldberg

Sat 18 Jul, 2020 03:37 am
@goldberg,
I'd like to talk about something that has nothing to do with politics. You know I just heard that a Japanese actor named Miura Haruma has committed suicide, according to NHK News, which claims "he was found hanging by the neck in his home in Minato Ward."

Miura Haruma, who's a good-looking guy at the age of 30, once played the role of a high-school student in the Japanese movie, "Koizora," which features calf love between a boy -played by Miura Haruma and a girl-played by Aragaki Yui. And the movie has a lachrymal scene in which the boy and the girl talk about afterlife.

The Boy: Where are we going after we die?

The girl. We will meet in paradise.

The boy: I want to be the sky after I die. So, I will be able to see your face no matter where you go.

The Girl: Cool. Then what I have to do is look up the sky when I miss you; you are in good mood when I see sunshine streaking through the clouds; you are crying when I find raindrops falling down; it becomes sunset when you blush; and it becomes night sky when my body is bathed in darkness as if you were holding me in your arms.

Speaking to the press, a friend of Miura Haruma argued that Miura Haruma had been bullied by the online mob in Japan.

"They keep leaning on you for thinking differently. They keep coercing you not to do something that they abhor. They leave you alone in self-denial as they beat the drum for the idols whom they admire. Tossing out invective is just simple as tying shoelaces online," he writes on Japanese social media.

Where is Miura Haruma going? I don't know. Could be a beautiful world suffused with quietness with undulating hills, dotted with assorted flowers? A place where you find deer scampering around and birds chortling in the trees, with flying angels singing songs, as described by Disney in traditional Disney movies?

I don't know.

The weather report says it's going to rain.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sat 18 Jul, 2020 07:05 am
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 18 Jul, 2020 10:42 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
.can you name one time that Trump ever did something compassionate or kind?

Quote:
Trump's spontaneous acts of generosity

Quote:

In 1986, Trump prevented the foreclosure of Annabell Hill’s family farm after her husband committed suicide. Trump personally phoned down to the auction to stop the sale of her home and offered the widow money. Trump decided to take action after he saw Hill’s pleas for help in news reports.

In 1988, a commercial airline refused to fly Andrew Ten, a sick Orthodox Jewish child with a rare illness, across the country to get medical care because he had to travel with an elaborate life-support system. His grief stricken parents contacted Trump for help and he didn’t hesitate to send his own plane to take the child from Los Angeles to New York so he could get his treatment.

In 1991, 200 Marines who served in Operation Desert Storm spent time at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina before they were scheduled to return home to their families. However, the Marines were told that a mistake had been made and an aircraft would not be able to take them home on their scheduled departure date. When Trump got wind of this, he sent his plane to make two trips from North Carolina to Miami to safely return the Gulf War Marines to their loved ones.

In 1995, a motorist stopped to help Trump after the limo he was traveling in got a flat tire. Trump asked the Good Samaritan how he could repay him for his help. All the man asked for was a bouquet of flowers for his wife. A few weeks later Trump sent the flowers with a note that read: “We’ve paid off your mortgage."

In 1996, Trump filed a lawsuit against the city of Palm Beach, Florida accusing the town of discriminating against his Mar-a-Lago resort club because it allowed Jews and blacks. Abraham Foxman, who was the Anti-Defamation League Director at the time, said Trump “put the light on Palm Beach – not on the beauty and the glitter, but on its seamier side of discrimination.” Foxman also noted that Trump’s charge had a trickle-down effect because other clubs followed his lead and began admitting Jews and blacks.

In 2000, Maury Povich featured a little girl named Megan who struggled with Brittle Bone Disease on his show and Trump happened to be watching. Trump said the little girl’s story and positive attitude touched his heart. So he contacted Maury and gifted the little girl and her family with a very generous check.

In 2008, after Jennifer Hudson’s family members were tragically murdered in Chicago, Trump put the Oscar-winning actress and her family up at his Windy City hotel for free. In addition to that, Trump’s security took extra measures to ensure Hudson and her family members were safe during such a difficult time.

In 2013, New York bus driver Darnell Barton spotted a woman close to the edge of a bridge staring at traffic below as he drove by. He stopped the bus, got out and put his arm around the woman and saved her life by convincing her to not jump. When Trump heard about this story, he sent the hero bus driver a check simply because he believed his good deed deserved to be rewarded.

In 2014, Trump gave $25,000 to Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi after he spent seven months in a Mexican jail for accidentally crossing the US-Mexico border. President Barack Obama couldn’t even be bothered to make one phone call to assist with the United States Marine’s release; however, Trump opened his pocketbook to help this serviceman get back on his feet.

In 2016, Melissa Consin Young attended a Trump rally and tearfully thanked Trump for changing her life. She said she proudly stood on stage with Trump as Miss Wisconsin USA in 2005. However, years later she found herself struggling with an incurable illness and during her darkest days she explained that she received a handwritten letter from Trump telling her she’s the “bravest woman, I know.” She said the opportunities that she got from Trump and his organizations ultimately provided her Mexican-American son with a full-ride to college.

Lynne Patton, a black female executive for the Trump Organization, released a statement in 2016 defending her boss against accusations that he’s a racist and a bigot. She tearfully revealed how she’s struggled with substance abuse and addiction for years. Instead of kicking her to the curb, she said the Trump Organization and his entire family loyally stood by her through “immensely difficult times.”

https://justnotsaid.blogspot.com/2016/07/trumps-acts-of-generosity.html
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 18 Jul, 2020 10:44 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Interesting question, coming from an unfeeling and unthinking droid.

You got a point there.
MontereyJack

Sat 18 Jul, 2020 11:08 am
@coldjoint,
she's one of the more empsthic posters here, . she stands ou from the numerous sociopathic uber conservatives here by her generous humanity.
coldjoint

Sat 18 Jul, 2020 11:10 am
Quote:
Fact Check: Do Black People Suffer Disproportionately From Police Brutality?

The answer is no, they do not.
Quote:
There are more than 800,000 sworn law enforcement officers in the U.S., and they commit roughly one murder per year. This amounts to an annual murder rate of 0.13 per 100,000—or about 38 times lower than the general U.S. murder rate of 5.0 per 100,000. Police are vetted for criminality, and thus, they should be much less likely to commit murder than the average person. However, police are also faced with life-threatening situations more often than the general public, and this opens doors for violent tendencies to emerge.

Regardless, it is irrational to accuse police or any other group of people of brutality or systemic racism based on the actions of an infinitesimal portion of them. Yet, the media and activists repeatedly do this, even though it is a hallmark tactic of racists and demagogues.

https://issuesinsights.com/2020/07/18/fact-check-do-black-people-suffer-disproportionately-from-police-brutality/
coldjoint

Sat 18 Jul, 2020 11:12 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
she stands ou from the numerous sociopathic uber conservatives here by her generous humanity.

Please post an "outstanding" example.
0 Replies