monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

goldberg

Sun 28 Jun, 2020 08:54 pm
@coldjoint,
You mean to say your puffery for Trump? Do I have to follow suit? Why would I want to do that? I'm still a liberal.
coldjoint

Sun 28 Jun, 2020 09:03 pm
@goldberg,
Quote:
I'm still a liberal.

Bullshit. There are no liberals left. I am closer to being a liberal than most of the people here. Liberals are not intolerant. Liberals do not hate on command. Liberals do not insult those who disagree with them.

So where are the liberals?
oralloy

Sun 28 Jun, 2020 09:07 pm
@coldjoint,
I call them progressives. Leftists are as far from the principles of liberalism as is possible.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sun 28 Jun, 2020 09:42 pm
@lmur,
That's a pretty douchey move.
0 Replies

goldberg

Sun 28 Jun, 2020 09:48 pm
@goldberg,

Trump claims to be the hottest man on earth. Having seen one of his pictures featuring the bare-chested Trump, an alien from another planet decided to come down to earth to court Trump, according to a conservative website called Townhall.

Arriving in Washington D.C., the alien flagged down a cab with a fatso sitting behind the wheel.

"Where to? " the driver said coldly, his eyes darting back and forth as if he were looking for a teat.

" The Dark House", I want to meet Trump, said the alien man ebulliently, his eyes shining with mirth.

Hearing this, the driver got agitated, staring at the alien man for an hour, and rasped out, " he is mine. I'm a genuine conservative weirdo. You guys are all fake ones. Leave me alone. "

Having said that, he started crying as eddies of wind swirled around his cab, with curls of smoke arising from somewhere in the distance, blotting out the sky.

"Noooooooooooooo , another building is on fire, " the cab driver shouted out with clenched fists, his eyes burning with anger. He had told another conservative friend that his love Trump should call in National Guard again or even dispatch troops to clamp down on the protests.

" He could even use fighter jets and Bombers, " said the car driver indignantly.

"Are you serious? " demanded his friend"

"Sure. Mark my words. I'm going to fight for White Power and Trump."

The driver's phone started ringing. Flipping it open, he found someone named Sarah Sanders making a call to him.

"Yes, this is Girlijoint speaking."

" Hon, are you lonely tonight?" I'm hot, baby. I'm Z Cup. How about having a date with me? I'm going to meet you at my house. Here is the address. My body is a volcano bursting with lava, You need to come over to put out fires.

"But I hear protesters are going to stage another protest around. And I told my conservative friends that I would be there to help my friends fight for Trump."

" Don't be silly. Which one is more important to you? Z Cup or protesters.

" Z Cup, that's no question about it. Just forget politics. I'm cominggggggggggggggggg. I'm flying to your houseeeee. I can't wait to let you watch me burn," said the hyperventilating driver, craning his neck to watch the moon.

"Please turn me into a wolfffffffffffffffffffff," he whispered.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 28 Jun, 2020 09:59 pm
@goldberg,
No country is spared but I would say that France is less negatively affected by the current wave of populism than the US or the UK. Of course we had the gillets jaunes, but they didn't size power and even them yellow morrons were more sympathetic than the Trumpists or the Brexiters. No apparent racism from the gillets jaunes for instance, wheras Brexit and Trump have built on strong xenophobic sentiments.

Now Macron is crumbling, so I am concerned that Le Pen may be our next president.

Piketty is smarter and truer than any of his critics in the Economist. He's got flaws of course but his diagnostic about capitalism in the 20th century is spot on.
goldberg

Sun 28 Jun, 2020 10:18 pm
@Olivier5,
But some of the ideas put forth by Piketty in his second book strike me as quixotic. You know it's questionable that one big nation like America or China could extirpate social inequality by just soaking the rich and offering more financial perks .

The current issue of The Economist has an article about what can be done to help black people get rich.

goldberg

Sun 28 Jun, 2020 10:19 pm
@Olivier5,
"WHEN PROTESTS broke out after the senseless killing of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, by a white policeman, many Americans felt the need to speak out. Some did so in offensive ways, and so shot themselves in the wallet. “What is this like night 4 of looting with 100% impunity. The pussy Mayor and Governor don’t give a **** about small businesses, and it’s never been more clear,” wrote Michael Fuller, the founder of Fulltone, which makes effects pedals for guitars, on Facebook. After a wave of outraged responses, he issued a rejoinder: “Ahh I feel better, and flushed out some prissy boys who were raised to pee sitting down. Now I’ll delete.”

High-profile rockers announced they would never buy his pedals again. YouTubers issued videos on how to paint over his logo on their pedals. And Guitar Center, America’s biggest musical-instrument retail chain, dropped Fulltone pedals from its stores.

What next? After the furore, guitar aficionados discussed where to find black-owned pedal companies. No answers were forthcoming until Lance Giles of Oxford, Ohio meekly suggested his Dogman Devices on Reddit, a social-media forum. He offered a 25% discount and free shipping, hoping the offer would blow life into a business that had yet to take off, and went to bed. By morning, all of his stock had sold (having listed one too many, he had to ship his personal pedal). His e-mail inbox was full of would-be customers wanting to know when he would have more.

Mr Giles is now in conversations with Guitar Center about stocking his gear. But his operation is nowhere near big enough to meet such demand yet; he is thinking about financing, looking at workshop space, enlisting free legal advice from a cousin and wondering whether to take on employees or to contract out manufacturing. Having a good product is one thing; increasing output quickly is another altogether.

A “buy black” challenge, sponsored by the Black Lives Matter protest movement, began on June 19th, or “Juneteenth”, an unofficial celebration of the abolition of slavery in America. The campaign runs until July 4th. If American consumers directed just a small portion of the $13trn they spend each quarter to black businesses, that surge in revenues might help build them up. With 13% of the population, black Americans owned just 2.1% of small businesses with employees, according to a study in 2012 by the Census Bureau. Today they hold 2.1% of the country’s private business wealth, according to the Federal Reserve.

A report on black businesses conducted for the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation outlined the challenges they face in trying to expand. These could be described as a version of Ben Franklin’s purported adage—that money makes money, and the money money makes makes more money—and applied to many forms of capital. Beyond money, starting and building a business also takes human and social capital. Black Americans start with less of all sorts.

Begin with the financial sort. Average black household wealth in America—the kind that could be used to back a startup—is just a tenth that of white households. When black owners turn to banks, straightforward racist denials of loans seem to be largely a thing of the past. But a “mystery shopper” test at 32 bank branches in Los Angeles, carried out by the National Community Reinvestment Coalition, a membership organisation for small businesses, found white customers were given subtly better customer service—for example, being told more about available products and their costs. Black applicants were asked to provide more information.

When banks ask for collateral, many entrepreneurs offer up their home. But just 44% of black-only households own their homes, against 74% of non-Hispanic white households. Fewer black entrepreneurs use bank financing, as a result; they are more likely to resort to their own family savings, and to credit cards, which have the highest interest rates of all forms of business financing. Black business-owners are more than twice as likely (23%) as white ones to report that the cost of debt has a negative impact on profits. And the low borrowing limits on credit cards stunts growth potential.

As for human capital, in its simplest form it consists of education. Here Asians lead all ethnic and racial groups: 54% of Asian-Americans have a bachelor’s degree or higher; 36% of whites do, but just 22% of blacks do. And of course human-capital accumulation is closely tied to the social kind—going to a prestigious college brings not only a degree but connections that prove useful later on in getting business.

To jolt black entrepreneurship, big banks and investors have announced eye-catching promises in recent weeks. Google has announced $100m in grants, loans and investments for black-owned venture-capital and technology firms. SoftBank, which also invests in technology firms, announced its own $100m for minority-owned technology companies, and Bank of America announced $1bn for an “economic opportunity initiative” for banks lending to poorer communities. But getting such funding to the eventual recipients is harder than it sounds.

Mark Ferguson runs Innervation Finance, which helps small businesses survive the often months-long lag between delivery of their products and payment. (It buys the invoices, and pays the vendor immediately, minus a discount. Black-owned businesses report greater levels of late payment than those owned by other groups.) As a black sole proprietor of a business aiming to help other minority-owned businesses, he should be in a good position to take advantage of money being aimed at such companies. But he describes a cumbersome process of verifying that his company is indeed black-owned (to avoid “blackwashing”, in which companies pretend to be minority-owned when they are not). It took six to eight months of sometimes cumbersome work with the National Minority Supplier Development Council, the biggest verification outfit, “and that was all to verify my ethnicity.”

Lowering racial inequality requires far more than ensuring black businesses have easier access to funds. After all, just over 10% of all wealth held by Americans is in business equity. The biggest source of wealth for most families remains home ownership, and in 2019 black ownership fell to its lowest level since the 1970s.

Building wealth among black people also means reducing income inequality between races, since higher income makes it easier to save and therefore to build wealth. That requires improving how black workers fare in America’s labour market. Here, too, black entrepreneurship will be of limited help. Inequalities in income and poverty levels between races stem from a vast legacy of racism encompassing a multitude of issues including housing, schooling and discrimination. Education is the base of the pyramid for good jobs, good incomes and eventual wealth—but as things stand it is unevenly distributed and in any case takes a long time to pay its dividends.

Where black entrepreneurship might make a shorter-term impact could be in shifting perceptions. The most famous wealthy black Americans are entertainers and athletes. An infusion of consumer enthusiasm, capital and opportunity could help more people associate black success with creativity and grit at the workbench and on the company board.

When Lance Giles once looked around the websites of guitar-pedal companies, trying to find one he might like to work for, he kept thinking: “Man if I got hired here I’d be the only one who wasn’t white.” Now he has a new opportunity to expand his business—and to do his own hiring."

From The Economist
goldberg

Sun 28 Jun, 2020 10:21 pm
@coldjoint,
You don't even know the meaning of liberalism. Man, your idol Trump would call you fake.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 28 Jun, 2020 10:25 pm
@goldberg,
And the point is?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Jun, 2020 03:01 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
"I will ALWAYS PROTECT PEOPLE WITH PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS,ALWAYS!!!”
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Jun, 2020 04:02 am
The gun organisation may struggle to support Trump in 2020 election amid layoffs and furloughs:

NRA has shed 200 staffers this year as group faces financial crisis
Quote:
After spending over $30m to help elect Donald Trump in 2016, the National Rifle Association faces a deepening financial crisis with over 200 staff layoffs and furloughs in 2020, according to three NRA sources, gun analysts and documents.

The situation is likely to hinder efforts by the gun rights group to help Trump and other Republicans win in November’s election.

The 200-plus layoffs and furloughs, which have not previously been reported and were mainly at NRA headquarters in Virginia, were spurred by declines in revenues and fundraising, heavy legal spending, political infighting, and charges of insider self-dealing under scrutiny by attorneys general in New York and Washington DC, the sources say.

“The widespread Covid layoffs and furloughs have further harmed both the NRA’s legal capacity and political influence beyond what was already a troubling deterioration,” said one NRA official who requested anonymity to discuss internal matters. The official added the outlook this year for NRA political spending was “deeply concerning.”

NRA staff learned about the furloughs, plus 20% staff pay cuts, four-day work weeks and other belt tightening, in an April email from Wayne LaPierre, the longtime top executive of the NRA, which claims it has 5 million members.

LaPierre’s email to the “NRA family” said “we have lost significant revenue” and linked the austerity moves to the pandemic’s stay-at-home orders. The email said the NRA hoped to bring back those furloughed when its finances improved.

The NRA declined to comment on the extent of the layoffs and furloughs, which sources said were continuing.

The NRA’s financial problems were palpable long before the pandemic but have increased due to a few factors, including the cancellation of a number of NRA fundraising dinners following the onset of Covid-19.

The NRA typically pulls in tens of millions of dollars yearly from Friends of NRA dinners in many states, but most were canceled after January and February, said the sources.

The NRA’s woes, say gun analysts, are expected to sharply reduce spending this year compared with the $30m the group spent on ads to help Trump win in 2016. They are also likely to mean cuts to its once formidable get out the vote operations in key states that historically provide big boosts to GOP candidates. Overall in 2016, the NRA spent close to $70m on ads and voter mobilization drives, say NRA sources.

In 2018, the NRA’s financial problems caused it to spend a relatively lackluster $9.4m on the midterm elections, and gun control groups outspent the NRA for the first time, which analysts say helped the Democrats win the House majority.

“The NRA is entering the summer and fall campaign with a series of crippling financial, legal, and political problems,” said Robert Spitzer, a political science professor at Cortland State University in New York.

Spitzer added: “As its anemic political spending in the 2018 midterm election showed, they will not be able to match anything like the roughly $70m they spent in 2016, as they continue to be plagued by a major revenue shortfall, a fact exacerbated by the impact of the coronavirus shutdown.”

The drop in revenues accelerated in 2019 when several large NRA donors began a drive to oust LaPierre over allegations of mismanagement and self-dealing, and to promote reforms. The website helpsavethenra.com, which is headlined “Retire LaPierre”, boasted in December that $165m in donations and planned gifts had been withheld.

The donor revolt has been spurred in part by several reports of lavish personal spending by LaPierre. The Wall Street Journal revealed last year that according to the NRA’s former ad firm Ackerman McQueen, which has been in legal battles with the NRA and LaPierre, he took about $240,000 worth of trips to Italy, Hungary, the Bahamas and other locales that were charged to the ad firm. The Journal reported that the ad firm had paid for about $200,000 in expensive suits for LaPierre, including some from a Beverly Hills boutique.

LaPierre’s yearly salary in 2018 was close to $2m.

Two Democratic attorneys general in New York and DC have reportedly been investigating whether the NRA abused its non-profit tax-exempt status in different ways such as improperly transferring funds from an NRA Foundation to the NRA.

Further, the AGs are said to be examining the allegations of self-dealing by NRA leaders, including financial transactions involving LaPierre, the NRA and the former ad firm.

If the AGs bring charges, the NRA could lose its coveted non-profit status in New York, where it has long been chartered.

The NRA’s top outside lawyer has said it is complying with the investigations but has attacked the NY AG’s “zeal” and “the investigation’s partisan purposes”.

During the pandemic, the NRA and pro-gun allies have waged successful legal battles in a number of states to make gun shops and shooting ranges “essential” businesses and circumvent stay-at-home measures.

But in mid-June, second-amendment advocates and the NRA suffered a stinging legal setback when the supreme court declined 10 petitions to review lower court rulings involving gun laws in several states, including Illinois and Massachusetts, which have banned assault weapons.

The NRA attacked the high court’s “inaction” in a statement, blasting it for allowing “so-called gun safety politicians to trample on the freedom and security of law-abiding citizens”.

Due to the pandemic, the NRA earlier this year canceled its annual meeting in Nashville, which Trump has faithfully attended since taking office to solidify his NRA ties. It is now slated to be held on 5 September in Springfield, Missouri.

At last year’s meeting was concluding, Trump in a tweet urged his NRA allies to “stop the internal infighting” amid the charges of self-dealing by its leaders and to “get back to GREATNESS. FAST.” For now, Trump’s aspirations for a speedy NRA recovery seem largely unfulfilled.
Olivier5

Mon 29 Jun, 2020 04:02 am
@goldberg,
Quote:
. You know it's questionable that one big nation like America or China could extirpate social inequality by just soaking the rich and offering more financial perks.

I disagree with some of Piketty's proposed solutions to the problem of an ever-increasing remuneration of capital since the 90's, while labor remuneration staid flat. But he did diagnose and evidence the problem much better than the Economist cares to admit.

Quote:
what can be done to help black people get rich.

One wild idea would be not to discriminate against them... This is just an example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Americans_and_the_G.I._Bill

oralloy

Mon 29 Jun, 2020 04:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The NRA retains its ability to vote anti-gun congressmen out of office in rural districts, and thus retains its ability to block unconstitutional gun laws from being passed by Congress.
0 Replies

goldberg

Mon 29 Jun, 2020 05:31 am
@Olivier5,
There is no denying that Piketty seems to be a French moralist who wants to level the playing field and create copious opportunities for the needy . Yet big nations would run up a fistful of government debts or public debts if they were to adopt Elizabeth Warren's progressive policies espoused by Piketty. America is already saddled with debt; Trump's tax cuts only make it worse, not to mention all the economic damages arising from Covid-19 and lockdowns.

Some hard-line Chinese economists are said to be calling on China's leaders to sell U.S. treasuries as a means to counter Trump's calls to decouple from China economically. I'm not saying China would do that since China would suffer colossal losses and give China hawks ammo. Yet there are signs that China may be trying to gird for its own decoupling-by which I mean it may be temped to rely on domestic consumption to pep up its economy instead of export-led growth at a time when its relations with America, Japan and India have been strained, thanks to trade and territorial kerfuffles.

Which would mean Biden is going to face a daunting challenge if he gets elected. I'm told that pundits in China don't think he is a friend of China like Bill Clinton.

Just a thought.

I won't be visiting here in the next few weeks. You know I'm going to be spending the next few weeks reading some books. Can't be an idler anymore.

Nice talking to you, Olivier. Good luck to you.
goldberg

Mon 29 Jun, 2020 05:33 am
@izzythepush,
Take care.
izzythepush

Mon 29 Jun, 2020 06:23 am
@goldberg,
Thank you. What did it for me was when Thatcher allowed UK air bases to be used in an attack on Tripoli without any authorisation from parliament.

That’s when I wanted those bases closed down. Not just the ones here either. Diego Garcia should also be closed down and the land given back to Mauritius.

These bases are not protecting us, they’re keeping us in line. Harold Wilson kept us out of Vietnam yet had to mysteriously resign after winning an election. A lot of us think America and its military bases were to blame.

As for Russia, we do a lot of business with them, Russian oligarchs own a lot of prime real estate in London. They’re not going to want to see that come to any harm. Putin will continue to employ underhand methods like the Salisbury poisonings which the American air bases did not protect us from.

These air bases undermine democracy, sovereignty and the rule of law, and far from protecting us they make us a target.

We will never be free while they remain.
Olivier5

Mon 29 Jun, 2020 06:42 am
@goldberg,
Piketty is no moralist, he is just an economist who thinks the economy is being hijacked by the filthy rich. Egalitarian policies, when retaining an element of meritocracy, tend to create wealth way above their cost and therefore they are the right thing to do from a pure economic perspective.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 29 Jun, 2020 06:46 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
What did it for me was when Thatcher allowed UK air bases to be used in an attack on Tripoli without any authorisation from parliament.

What is it about fighting against terrorist madmen that you most object to?

izzythepush wrote:
Diego Garcia should also be closed down and the land given back to Mauritius.

You don't have any say over whether that base closes down. If anyone tries to evict us, we will seize military control over the island.

izzythepush wrote:
These bases are not protecting us, they're keeping us in line.

Did you notice not being conquered by the Soviet Union?

izzythepush wrote:
As for Russia, we do a lot of business with them, Russian oligarchs own a lot of prime real estate in London. They're not going to want to see that come to any harm.

Putin would love to conquer London if the US stopped defending Europe. But you'll need to dismantle your own nukes too if you are so eager to be conquered.

izzythepush wrote:
These air bases undermine democracy, sovereignty and the rule of law, and far from protecting us they make us a target.
We will never be free while they remain.

There is something to be said for just protecting the former Warsaw Pact/Baltic countries and telling Putin that if he skips over them we don't care if he conquers western Europe.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 29 Jun, 2020 08:38 am
Supreme Court Hands Abortion-Rights A Victory In Louisiana Case
Quote:
A sharply divided U.S. Supreme Court on Monday stood by its most recent abortion precedent. Chief Justice John Roberts joined the court's four liberals, citing the Supreme Court's adherence to precedent, to invalidate a Louisiana law that required doctors at clinics that perform abortions to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.

Louisiana's law is virtually identical to one struck down by the court in 2016, which found that the admitting privileges law in Texas was medically unnecessary and that it significantly limited access to abortion.

But since then the composition of the court has changed significantly, and abortion opponents had high hopes that the new conservative majority would reverse course. Roberts, who dissented from the 2016 decision, apparently decided, however, that the value of abiding by precedent was more important.